• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Resident alien sues South Dakota for gun rights

Mike

Site Co-Founder
This is a great law suit - EXCELLANT chance of succeeding as states may not discriminate against resident aliens per equal protection doctrine.

It is dissapointing that we do not see more of these alien gun rights lawsuit in the few states that have citizen only gun permit regimes, e.g., i think, at least, Washington, Massachussetts, and Oklahoma.

The federal reguylation requiring resident aliens 60 days proof of state address should be challeneged in court as well.
----
Lawsuit tests state's concealed weapons permit
Associated Press (SD)
http://plainsdaily.com/story/8827
January 3, 2011

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) A federal lawsuit filed in Sioux Falls alleges that the state's concealed weapons law is discriminatory because it requires the permit holder to be a United States citizen.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of Wayne S. Smith, a Minnehaha County resident who has lived in the U.S. for 30 years after emigrating from the United Kingdom.

The lawsuit says he was denied a concealed weapon permit last July solely because he's not a U.S. citizen.

. . .

Jared

This is a great law suit - EXCELLANT chance of succeeding as states may not discriminate against resident aliens per equal protection doctrine.

It is dissapointing that we do not see more of these alien gun rights lawsuit in the few states that have citizen only gun permit regimes, e.g., i think, at least, Washington, Massachussetts, and Oklahoma.

The federal reguylation requiring resident aliens 60 days proof of state address should be challeneged in court as well.
----
Lawsuit tests state's concealed weapons permit
Associated Press (SD)
http://plainsdaily.com/story/8827
January 3, 2011

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) A federal lawsuit filed in Sioux Falls alleges that the state's concealed weapons law is discriminatory because it requires the permit holder to be a United States citizen.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit on behalf of Wayne S. Smith, a Minnehaha County resident who has lived in the U.S. for 30 years after emigrating from the United Kingdom.

The lawsuit says he was denied a concealed weapon permit last July solely because he's not a U.S. citizen.

. . .

It is a great case; however, they may not just discriminate against resident aliens. They may not discriminate against any alien that is legally present. Issuing to green card holders but not to H1-B's or the like is unconstitutional.

Washington State is fixed. Gray Peterson and I got the ball rolling on that 2 years ago, and SAF picked up the ball and finished the job.

Here is the list of states with the U.S. Citizen requirement left.

Montana
New Mexico
Oklahoma
Louisiana (for .3 permits only)
Arkansas
South Dakota
Hawaii (for all gun licenses, the state enforces it against registration also)
Nebraska (for Purchase permits as well)
Missouri
North Carolina (purchase permits as well)
Massachusetts (complicated but it should be fixed soon)
Oregon (non-residents must be citizens, residents must swear they plan to become citizens)

Florida while they issue to resident aliens, they won't to non-immigrant aliens not to any person who lives overseas. If your job takes you to Europe or Asia or something and you need to renew your Florida license, the state tells you no, thanks to the "pro-gun" people in the legislature down there.

oldbanger

Changes In South Dakota's Concealed Carry Law

HB 1149 which would change the law to include legal residents was introduced 25 Jan

State of South Dakota
EIGHTY-SIXTH SESSION
LEGISLATIVE ASSEMBLY, 2011

HOUSE BILL NO. 1149

Introduced by: Representatives Gosch, Blake, Bolin, Brunner, Conzet, Gibson, Hansen (Jon), Hunt, Kirkeby, and Liss and Senators Cutler, Begalka, Brown, Frerichs, Olson (Russell), Peters, and Rave

FOR AN ACT ENTITLED, An Act to allow legal residents of the United States to obtain a concealed pistol permit.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF SOUTH DAKOTA:
Section 1. That § 23-7-7.1 be amended to read as follows:
23-7-7.1. A temporary permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be issued within five days of application to a person if the applicant:
(1) Is eighteen years of age or older;
(2) Has never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence;
(3) Is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition;
(4) Has no history of violence;
(5) Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" as defined in § 27A-1-1 or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;
(6) Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;
(7) Has had no violations of chapter 23-7, 22-14, or 22-42 constituting a felony or misdemeanor in the five years preceding the date of application or is not currently charged under indictment or information for such an offense;
(8) Is a citizen or legal resident of the United States; and
(9) Is not a fugitive from justice.
A person denied a permit may appeal to the circuit court pursuant to chapter 1-26.

Last edited:

OC4me

Interesting find! I am actually a U.S. Citizen who was refused the ability to renew my otherwise-valid Florida Concealed Weapons License simply because I am now overseas.

I'm off to Google to look for more info on this!

I think that a positive outcome on this case would be beneficial to me!

XDSTEEL

Interesting find! I am actually a U.S. Citizen who was refused the ability to renew my otherwise-valid Florida Concealed Weapons License simply because I am now overseas.

I think that a positive outcome on this case would be beneficial to me!

I think I saw the ruling and that was FOR the resident. Just because you are overseas you can still renew without any problems. I know that most states still will issue a permit even if you are stationed/deployed overseas. I am in the military and never had any problems. But who knows I don't live in FLorida however, I did submit mine application recently