• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to Loudoun County and found old code still on books "1092.20"

keymo

Forgive me if this has been answered in the past, but my search did not turn anything up.

I recently moved to Loudoun County and upon researching firearm laws, I came across 1092.20 Carrying or Discharging Weapons that prohibits carry in county parks without authorization from Parks and Rec. Has this been preempted and the county website is wrong?

Thanks.

TFred

Yep, you found one!

Congratulations, you found a "preempted Easter Egg!" We should offer prizes.

Here's the text:

1092.20 CARRYING OR DISCHARGING WEAPONS.
The carrying or discharging, in any park or community center, of any firearm, air gun, gas gun, spring-operated gun, BB gun, slingshot, dart device or bow and arrow is prohibited, except as specifically authorized by the Department of Parks and Recreation in connection with a supervised recreational activity or except as may be carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer. (Ord. 85-12. Passed 9-16-85.)​

You can find the link to Section 1092 here.

Now someone just needs to let them know they are in violation of State Law, and potentially liable for the costs and fees of anyone who might want to sue them over it...

TFred

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
Forgive me if this has been answered in the past, but my search did not turn anything up.

I recently moved to Loudoun County and upon researching firearm laws, I came across 1092.20 Carrying or Discharging Weapons that prohibits carry in county parks without authorization from Parks and Rec. Has this been preempted and the county website is wrong?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. I will let them know about the code on the website. Ed

keymo

Just to be safe, I will avoid the county park at the end of my street until this is worked out...I do not have the ability to be a good test case! I do believe my employer (US Navy) would take a dim view of any entanglement with law enforcement over this type of issue. Suprising to some, but the military "powers that be" are actually quite anti-gun...

wylde007

Just to be safe, I will avoid the county park at the end of my street until this is worked out...I do not have the ability to be a good test case! I do believe my employer (US Navy) would take a dim view of any entanglement with law enforcement over this type of issue.
You do not need to avoid entanglement as there would be none - as long as you do not start setting up empty cans and plinking at them.
Surprising to some, but the military "powers that be" are actually quite anti-gun...
Sadly I believe you will find that most of the denizens of this outpost of civilization are WELL AWARE of the fed.gov's opinion of private firearm ownership/possession and carry.

keymo

You do not need to avoid entanglement as there would be none - as long as you do not start setting up empty cans and plinking at them.Sadly I believe you will find that most of the denizens of this outpost of civilization are WELL AWARE of the fed.gov's opinion of private firearm ownership/possession and carry.

True on both points...however, I was more directly pointing out that the US Navy is suprisingly anti-gun. For example, they have started to require training of everyone that owns private firearms...not a terrible burden, but the training is decidedly anti-gun and (having just come from there) very California in its tone and supposed "requirements" for storage. The training does not even admit to the possibility of actually carrying a firearm outside of official duty and my read from every command that I have been at is that it is unofficially discouraged with a tendancy to prohibit if there is even a slight chance of getting away with it (most recently, although not Navy, US Army Alasaka issued a general order to ban all Army in Alasaka from carry of firearms off duty...no matter where they were).

wylde007

US Army Alaska issued a general order to ban all Army in Alaska from carry of firearms off duty...no matter where they were).
Gross tyranny from the very machinery supposedly designed to defend against it.

If that's not proof positive of the failure of the republic to honour its contract with the People, of the government to recognize the rights of its masters AND servants... I do not know what is.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
....snip.... US Army Alasaka issued a general order to ban all Army in Alasaka from carry of firearms off duty...no matter where they were).

Wonder how US Army Alaska is going to square that one with the various regulations and recommendations regarding the carry of firearms in, for example, bear territory.

The true tragedy of any harm that came due to compliance with US Army Alaska orders is that neither the Army nor the larger DOD/gooberment can be sued over the harm. And that includes being effectively barred from entering state and National Parks/Forests/Wildlife Areas and being restricted from the enjoyment [a legal term that has nothing to do with "having fun"] of those places. No more fishing trips for Willie & Joe.

Guess that means the bear will end up being the defendant in the lawsuit.

Sometimes we all forget how much those who sign up to defend our freedom and our rights must give up of their own in order to do so. "Thank you for your service" is not enough, but it's about all we have.

stay safe.

ed

Just to be safe, I will avoid the county park at the end of my street until this is worked out...I do not have the ability to be a good test case! I do believe my employer (US Navy) would take a dim view of any entanglement with law enforcement over this type of issue. Suprising to some, but the military "powers that be" are actually quite anti-gun...
I am 100% comfortable carrying in Loudoun County. I have personally met with the Loudoun Board of Supervisors, The Commonwealth Attorney and the Sheriff regarding Open Carry. This code you found is just a piece that slipped thru the cracks. I am confident they will fix it expeditiously.

Ed

P.S. where in Loudoun are you? Are you going to the Meeting tomorrow night at 7PM in the BOD room? "Delegate Tag Greason (R) , Senator Mark Herring (D), Senator Jill Vogel (R), Delegate Joe May (R), Delegate Bob Marshall (R), Delegate Tom Rust (R) and Delegate Jim LeMunyon (R) will preview the upcoming session, and give citizens a forum to discuss issues of community and statewide interest.". I am, and yes, I will be Open Carrying.

nuc65

Activist Member

Not in the least surprising.

keymo

Ed, sorry for the slow response. I moved in at South Riding at the end of October. I was unable to make the meeting as I was working at the time, but hopefully I will be able to make some in the future.

I do feel comfortable in general with carry in Loudoun...I figure a 50/50 split between CC and OC as it mainly depends on how I am dressed and what I am doing! However, I had never frequented a county park and when I saw one at the end of my street I decided to double check the laws...can never be too careful to avoid LE attention while in the military.

Thanks for all you do!

Scott Key

ed

most there thought they were speaking to the local board of supervisors... so stupid. Good turn-out though and no comment about my OC.
167159_154931051223653_100001202771197_322569_1927146_n.jpg

ed

Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chapter 1092.90 of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun County. The Board of Supervisor’s initially addressed Code 1092.20 in their meeting on June 16th, 2009, as item 11d. They forwarded 1092.20 to the Public Safety and Human Services Committee for review (9-0 in favor). 1092.20 was then discussed at the July 8th, 2009 Public Safety and Human Services Committee and a recommendation was sent to the Board of Supervisor’s July 21st, 2009 meeting as item 14d. The language was modified as follows:

The carrying or discharging, in any park or community center, of any firearm, pneumatic gun, air gun, gas gun, spring-operated gun, BB gun, slingshot, dart device or bow and arrow in any public park or community center is prohibited, except as specifically authorized by the Department of Parks and Recreation in connection with a supervised recreational activity or except as may be required carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer.. (Ord. 85-12. Passed 9-16-85.)

Since that time, the document on the internet has not been updated, and I have contacted the County Attorney’s office about the discrepancy.

Here are three links to the relevant documents, and the webcast from the July 21st Board of Supervisor’s meeting.

Webcast: http://loudoun.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=38&clip_id=1291

Action Report from the July 21st BOS Meeting: http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/spe...1a&tabid=312&fmpath=/Business+Meeting+Packets

Item 14d (contains recommendations, background, motions, attachments): http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/spe...d4&tabid=312&fmpath=/Business+Meeting+Packets

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions.

With warm regards,

Scott
Scott K. York

Scott K. York, Chairman
Loudoun County Board of Supervisors

703-777-0204
Scott.York@loudoun.gov

If you would like to subscribe to my e-newsletter, that includes reports on the BOS meetings, please click here.

Please be aware that correspondence sent by or to Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and staff members is subject to Virginia's Freedom of Information Act.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Dear Ed,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Chapter 1092.90 of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun County. The Board of Supervisor’s initially addressed Code 1092.20 in their meeting on June 16th, 2009, as item 11d. They forwarded 1092.20 to the Public Safety and Human Services Committee for review (9-0 in favor). 1092.20 was then discussed at the July 8th, 2009 Public Safety and Human Services Committee and a recommendation was sent to the Board of Supervisor’s July 21st, 2009 meeting as item 14d. The language was modified as follows:

The carrying or discharging, in any park or community center, of any firearm, pneumatic gun, air gun, gas gun, spring-operated gun, BB gun, slingshot, dart device or bow and arrow in any public park or community center is prohibited, except as specifically authorized by the Department of Parks and Recreation in connection with a supervised recreational activity or except as may be required carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer.. (Ord. 85-12. Passed 9-16-85.)

Since that time, the document on the internet has not been updated, and I have contacted the County Attorney’s office about the discrepancy.

Here are three links to the relevant documents, and the webcast from the July 21st Board of Supervisor’s meeting.

Action Report from the July 21st BOS Meeting: http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/spe...1a&tabid=312&fmpath=/Business+Meeting+Packets

Item 14d (contains recommendations, background, motions, attachments): http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/spe...d4&tabid=312&fmpath=/Business+Meeting+Packets

With warm regards,

Scott
Scott K. York

Scott K. York, Chairman
703-777-0204
Scott.York@loudoun.gov

If you wouldlike to subscribe to my e-newsletter, that includes reports on the BOS meetings, please click here.

Please be aware that correspondence sent by or to Loudoun County Board of Supervisors and staff members is subject to Virginia's Freedom of Information Act.

Ed I'm lost are they saying they think it's is legal and the code stands? It doesn't appear it was repealed to me.:confused:

ed

Ed I'm lost are they saying they think it's is legal and the code stands? It doesn't appear it was repealed to me.:confused:

Sorry.. This board did not support Scott's Strike-thu text.. his Strike Thur is removed below

- - -
Dear Mr. Levine,

1092.20 DISCHARGING WEAPONS.

The discharging, of any firearm, pneumatic gun, slingshot, dart device or bow and arrow in any public park or community center is prohibited, except as specifically authorized by the Department of Parks and Recreation in connection with a supervised recreational activity or except as may be required by a duly authorized law enforcement officer.. (Ord. 85-12. Passed 9-16-85.)

With warm regards,

Scott

Scott K. York

Scott K. York, Chairman

703-777-0204

Scott.York@loudoun.gov

If you would like to subscribe to my e-newsletter, that includes reports on the BOS meetings, please click here.