Thread: "any other lawful purpose"

"any other lawful purpose"

What does "any other lawful purpose" mean (especially legally)? I would interpret it as "if you can legally do it without a gun than you can legally do it with a gun" but apparently that isn't how it is legally interpreted.

(I did a search and didn't find it discussed already...)

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    I read it that I can use and/or carry a gun while I am doing anything otherwise legal. Eating dinner? Check. Driving a car? Check. Go to church? Check.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    I read it that I can use and/or carry a gun while I am doing anything otherwise legal. Eating dinner? Check. Driving a car? Check. Go to church? Check.
    I concur.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

I also agree 100%.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Now, here's where I will get controversial....

In the State Capital? Check. While watching my child act in a school play (in school)? Check. In a court room? Check.

For the 1st one, NH is working on allowing it. It was allowed up until 2006 when the Democrats disallowed it. Several states allow guns up to the courthouse doors and allow people to lock them in a government supplied locker so that you aren't walking back and forth to your car unarmed.

Regardless of Personal Opinion

The Wisconsin Supreme Court defines "any other lawful purpose" to mean that the right to keep and bear arms does not apply to anyone who can be shown to have or be engaged in a unlawful purpose. The concept that one can bear or keep arms for any lawful purpose ie. driving, concealed, prohibited places, etc. will only be constitutionally protected in Wisconsin if it is the only means available to exert one rights and that right substantially outweighs the State's ability to restrict your rights.

Fuzzy Logic.

No. It's not what you are doing or where you while are bear arms.

It's the prupose or reason that you KBA.

PURPOSE does not mean place or manner.
    Last edited by BROKENSPROKET; 01-04-2011 at 07:02 PM.

Now, here's where I will get controversial....

In the State Capital? Check. While watching my child act in a school play (in school)? Check. In a court room? Check.

For the 1st one, NH is working on allowing it. It was allowed up until 2006 when the Democrats disallowed it. Several states allow guns up to the courthouse doors and allow people to lock them in a government supplied locker so that you aren't walking back and forth to your car unarmed.
    That surprises me about NH. The last thing our legislators want is a bunch of pissed off voters storming through their doors with sidearms.

Other lawful purposes? (Purpi?)
    Collecting, displaying, selling, being in a play or parade, teaching...
    Things I can do with a gun.
    I see that as different from "what can I legally do while armed" which seems to be what Paul was answering.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 01-04-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Purpi? I like that.

"...any other lawful purpse."

I take it to mean I can carry any place as long as I'm not committing a crime.

Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    That surprises me about NH. The last thing our legislators want is a bunch of pissed off voters storming through their doors with sidearms.
    Well, you know how well criminals obey the law? If a criminal knows the law abiding are going to be defenseless, like the capital building, then what/who is going to stop him from committing his terrible crime? No one!
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Ditto 2 th@

McX
    and dont forget working. (if your employer is progressive)

Quote Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post
    The Wisconsin Supreme Court defines "any other lawful purpose" to mean that the right to keep and bear arms does not apply to anyone who can be shown to have or be engaged in a unlawful purpose. The concept that one can bear or keep arms for any lawful purpose ie. driving, concealed, prohibited places, etc. will only be constitutionally protected in Wisconsin if it is the only means available to exert one rights and that right substantially outweighs the State's ability to restrict your rights.

Fuzzy Logic.
    Does that mean if you break a law not related to guns (i.e. don't pay your taxes) that you also loose the right to carry a gun (even open carry)?

Quote Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post

Fuzzy Logic.
    Driving should be covered as there is no logical or constitutional basis to restrict the right solely based on the conveyance has a motor or engine as opposed to two legs, four legs or any number of wheels not utilizing a motor. As far as prohibited places go, should any public accessible places that do not screen everyone for weapons and provide a secured area be considered "sensitive"?

Quote Originally Posted by Stauffer View Post
    Does that mean if you break a law not related to guns (i.e. don't pay your taxes) that you also loose the right to carry a gun (even open carry)?
    Not unless were talking about a felony tax evasion conviction. It means that if in any way your guns are being used, intended to be used, or are involved in perpetrating a crime you have no constitutionally protected right to them. No right to own unregistered class 3 weapons. No right to carry to commit or further a crime. No right for a pizza delivery driver to carry a concealed weapon for his security when he is driving to commit a crime with his weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by lockman View Post
    Driving should be covered as there is no logical or constitutional basis to restrict the right solely based on the conveyance has a motor or engine as opposed to two legs, four legs or any number of wheels not utilizing a motor. As far as prohibited places go, should any public accessible places that do not screen everyone for weapons and provide a secured area be considered "sensitive"?
    Wouldn't it be cool if we had a legal system based on logic and the constitution. Hopefully the new legislature will spend a little time this year fixing a small portion of the legal disaster that has grown exponentially larger year after year. As far as "sensitive places" I would say that in a free society any attempt to search and disarm the people to provide a fleeting sense of security, regardless of the nature of the location is untenable.

A WI sheriff said "I interpret this to mean any purpose that is not specifically prohibited by law. Examples might include anything from shooting pets/varmints to displaying them in a museum."

Quote Originally Posted by Stauffer View Post
    A WI sheriff said "I interpret this to mean any purpose that is not specifically prohibited by law. Examples might include anything from shooting pets/varmints to displaying them in a museum."
    Once again, somehow law and statutes outweigh the Constitution.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Once again, somehow law and statutes outweigh the Constitution.
    I don't read that quote that way at all. Doing bad things with guns is against the law as it should be because encroaches on the rights of others. We all know there are cases where others rights trump our own. This has everything to do with following the supreme law of the land.

In an admittedly absurd example: If I decide to open a beer can with my 1911 in a tavern I don't think that would be a lawful purpose.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I don't read that quote that way at all. Doing bad things with guns is against the law as it should be because encroaches on the rights of others. We all know there are cases where others rights trump our own. This has everything to do with following the supreme law of the land.
    I agree, doing bad things with guns is against the law. However, simply carrying where and when you please does not trump anyone else's rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    In an admittedly absurd example: If I decide to open a beer can with my 1911 in a tavern I don't think that would be a lawful purpose.
    In 941.237, you cannot carry a handgun in a bar, but is silent on long guns. So why are long guns ok and not hand guns? I've had beer and carried at home. Guess what, I was not inebriated after a single beer. Time and time again, people think that firearms and alcohol don't mix. However, people think it is okay to have a beer (or several as long as you do not get drunk) and then drive. How is a 1-2 ton vehicle going 60mph+ less dangerous than a firearm that is not touched?

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    I agree, doing bad things with guns is against the law. However, simply carrying where and when you please does not trump anyone else's rights.
    Yup, as long as you aren't violating the rights of others it's a lawful purpose as far as the supreme law goes.

In 941.237, you cannot carry a handgun in a bar, but is silent on long guns. So why are long guns ok and not hand guns? I've had beer and carried at home. Guess what, I was not inebriated after a single beer. Time and time again, people think that firearms and alcohol don't mix. However, people think it is okay to have a beer (or several as long as you do not get drunk) and then drive. How is a 1-2 ton vehicle going 60mph+ less dangerous than a firearm that is not touched?
    Agreed, the best I can say is that there are consequences to your actions; responsibilities to go along with the right. I must trust others to be responsible in a free society.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 01-06-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla