• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"any other lawful purpose"

Stauffer

What does "any other lawful purpose" mean (especially legally)? I would interpret it as "if you can legally do it without a gun than you can legally do it with a gun" but apparently that isn't how it is legally interpreted.

(I did a search and didn't find it discussed already...)

paul@paul-fisher.com

I read it that I can use and/or carry a gun while I am doing anything otherwise legal. Eating dinner? Check. Driving a car? Check. Go to church? Check.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I read it that I can use and/or carry a gun while I am doing anything otherwise legal. Eating dinner? Check. Driving a car? Check. Go to church? Check.

Now, here's where I will get controversial....

In the State Capital? Check. While watching my child act in a school play (in school)? Check. In a court room? Check.

For the 1st one, NH is working on allowing it. It was allowed up until 2006 when the Democrats disallowed it. Several states allow guns up to the courthouse doors and allow people to lock them in a government supplied locker so that you aren't walking back and forth to your car unarmed.

Uziel Gal

Regardless of Personal Opinion

The Wisconsin Supreme Court defines "any other lawful purpose" to mean that the right to keep and bear arms does not apply to anyone who can be shown to have or be engaged in a unlawful purpose. The concept that one can bear or keep arms for any lawful purpose ie. driving, concealed, prohibited places, etc. will only be constitutionally protected in Wisconsin if it is the only means available to exert one rights and that right substantially outweighs the State's ability to restrict your rights.

Fuzzy Logic.

BROKENSPROKET

No. It's not what you are doing or where you while are bear arms.

It's the prupose or reason that you KBA.

PURPOSE does not mean place or manner.

Last edited:

anmut

Now, here's where I will get controversial....

In the State Capital? Check. While watching my child act in a school play (in school)? Check. In a court room? Check.

For the 1st one, NH is working on allowing it. It was allowed up until 2006 when the Democrats disallowed it. Several states allow guns up to the courthouse doors and allow people to lock them in a government supplied locker so that you aren't walking back and forth to your car unarmed.

That surprises me about NH. The last thing our legislators want is a bunch of pissed off voters storming through their doors with sidearms.

MKEgal

Other lawful purposes? (Purpi?)
Collecting, displaying, selling, being in a play or parade, teaching...
Things I can do with a gun.
I see that as different from "what can I legally do while armed" which seems to be what Paul was answering.

Last edited:

protias

"...any other lawful purpse."

I take it to mean I can carry any place as long as I'm not committing a crime.

That surprises me about NH. The last thing our legislators want is a bunch of pissed off voters storming through their doors with sidearms.
Well, you know how well criminals obey the law? If a criminal knows the law abiding are going to be defenseless, like the capital building, then what/who is going to stop him from committing his terrible crime? No one!

Stauffer

The Wisconsin Supreme Court defines "any other lawful purpose" to mean that the right to keep and bear arms does not apply to anyone who can be shown to have or be engaged in a unlawful purpose. The concept that one can bear or keep arms for any lawful purpose ie. driving, concealed, prohibited places, etc. will only be constitutionally protected in Wisconsin if it is the only means available to exert one rights and that right substantially outweighs the State's ability to restrict your rights.

Fuzzy Logic.

Does that mean if you break a law not related to guns (i.e. don't pay your taxes) that you also loose the right to carry a gun (even open carry)?

lockman

State Researcher

Fuzzy Logic.

Driving should be covered as there is no logical or constitutional basis to restrict the right solely based on the conveyance has a motor or engine as opposed to two legs, four legs or any number of wheels not utilizing a motor. As far as prohibited places go, should any public accessible places that do not screen everyone for weapons and provide a secured area be considered "sensitive"?

Uziel Gal

Does that mean if you break a law not related to guns (i.e. don't pay your taxes) that you also loose the right to carry a gun (even open carry)?

Not unless were talking about a felony tax evasion conviction. It means that if in any way your guns are being used, intended to be used, or are involved in perpetrating a crime you have no constitutionally protected right to them. No right to own unregistered class 3 weapons. No right to carry to commit or further a crime. No right for a pizza delivery driver to carry a concealed weapon for his security when he is driving to commit a crime with his weapon.

Uziel Gal

Driving should be covered as there is no logical or constitutional basis to restrict the right solely based on the conveyance has a motor or engine as opposed to two legs, four legs or any number of wheels not utilizing a motor. As far as prohibited places go, should any public accessible places that do not screen everyone for weapons and provide a secured area be considered "sensitive"?

Wouldn't it be cool if we had a legal system based on logic and the constitution. Hopefully the new legislature will spend a little time this year fixing a small portion of the legal disaster that has grown exponentially larger year after year. As far as "sensitive places" I would say that in a free society any attempt to search and disarm the people to provide a fleeting sense of security, regardless of the nature of the location is untenable.

Stauffer

A WI sheriff said "I interpret this to mean any purpose that is not specifically prohibited by law. Examples might include anything from shooting pets/varmints to displaying them in a museum."

protias

A WI sheriff said "I interpret this to mean any purpose that is not specifically prohibited by law. Examples might include anything from shooting pets/varmints to displaying them in a museum."
Once again, somehow law and statutes outweigh the Constitution. :eek:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Once again, somehow law and statutes outweigh the Constitution. :eek:

I don't read that quote that way at all. Doing bad things with guns is against the law as it should be because encroaches on the rights of others. We all know there are cases where others rights trump our own. This has everything to do with following the supreme law of the land.

In an admittedly absurd example: If I decide to open a beer can with my 1911 in a tavern I don't think that would be a lawful purpose.