01/26/11 - Mason District Government Center - Large Conference Room

Meeting Schedule (Unless Otherwise Noted Above):

• 7:30 - 8:00 pm -- Informal Gathering
    • 8:00 - 9:30 pm -- Meeting
    • 9:30 - ?:?? pm -- Informal Gathering at a Local Restaurant

Mason District Governmental Center
    6507 Columbia Pike
    Annandale, VA 22003

Special Guest expected from the Mason District Fairfax County Police to discuss how they handle a "man with a gun" call based on this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84467
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Special Guest expected from the Mason District Fairfax County Police to discuss how they handle a "man with a gun" call based on this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84467
    I just found out that the first name of the Special guest is "Gun". That's pretty cool.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    I just found out that the first name of the Special guest is "Gun". That's pretty cool.
    Maybe you could video tape the meeting so those who won't / can't be there can see what is said.

Quote Originally Posted by nuc65 View Post
    Maybe you could video tape the meeting so those who won't / can't be there can see what is said.
    I was just about to request the same thing.

If he's as upstanding as his letter from the other thread indicates, that video could be used as model for the many misbehaving LEOs around the country.
    Last edited by Tao; 01-20-2011 at 01:46 PM.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Sooper seekrit meetup at the usual place? I expect to be there by 1830.

Quote Originally Posted by Tao View Post
    I was just about to request the same thing.

If he's as upstanding as his letter from the other thread indicates, that video could be used as model for the many misbehaving LEOs around the country.
    If I can make it (which depends on whether the baby comes before then or not), I'll try to bring my camera and tripod. I'm no peter nap, but I'll do what I can.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Street Address for GPS.

MASON GOVERNMENTAL CENTER
    6507 Columbia Pike
    Annandale, VA 22003
    "We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." B. Franklin

And Facebook page link for meeting:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?ei...110283&index=1
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Just called the mason center's office, reached an admin of Gross', asked if there was any regulations on carry into the building and was hung up on.

Touchy subject I'm guessing?

Quote Originally Posted by epilogue View Post
    Just called the mason center's office, reached an admin of Gross', asked if there was any regulations on carry into the building and was hung up on.

VCDL has been holding meetings in this building for years; it is perfectly legal to carry there, and dozens of people do just that each month. Penny Gross and her people can't do a thing to stop us, and I'm sure that that makes them none too pleased.

For the future, I would recommend against asking someone who works in a particular build (including LEOs) if it is ok to carry there. I believe that most will either not know for sure and just tell you no or they will mistakenly think that you can't carry there just because they can't. Things could become even more risky for you if someone says that they think that it is ok, when it might in fact be illegal. It is always better to do your own research to find out when and where you will be ok carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    VCDL has been holding meetings in this building for years; it is perfectly legal to carry there, and dozens of people do just that each month. Penny Gross and her people can't do a thing to stop us, and I'm sure that that makes them none too pleased.

For the future, I would recommend against asking someone who works in a particular build (including LEOs) if it is ok to carry there. I believe that most will either not know for sure and just tell you no or they will mistakenly think that you can't carry there just because they can't. Things could become even more risky for you if someone says that they think that it is ok, when it might in fact be illegal. It is always better to do your own research to find out when and where you will be ok carrying.
    Agreed, digging through the Fairfax co gov site produced nothing about yea or nay on the carry regulations, previous threads regarding the center didn't give me a clear answer either. I usually let signs do the answering.

(And I agree THINK is a bad word.)

Agreed, digging through the Fairfax co gov site produced nothing about yea or nay on the carry regulations, previous threads regarding the center didn't give me a clear answer either. I usually let signs do the answering.

(And I agree THINK is a bad word.)
    Generally speaking, thanks to preemption in Virginia, if a building is owned by a county, city, or even the state, it is usually ok to carry there, unless it is one of the types of places that the Virginia General Assembly has expressly banned carry, such as K-12 schools, courthouses, and corrections facilities. Local government offices, park facilities, recreation centers, the VA-DMV, non-secure areas of police stations, and many other place are almost always open to those who are lawfully carrying a firearm in Virginia.

The Mason District Government Center is owned and operated by Fairfax County, but the state government in Richmond does not allow counties to restrict firearms carry beyond the level of restriction set by the General Assembly, so FX Co. can't prevent us from carry there.

If you have never been to a VCDL meeting before, I fully encourage you to come on Wednesday, and feel free to come carrying openly, as there will be many other there doing the same. And, don't let all the police cars worry you a bit (if you didn't already know, MDGC also contains a police station). The officers there are accustomed to our gatherings, so they will hardly even look your way.
    Last edited by VApatriot; 01-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Agreed, digging through the Fairfax co gov site produced nothing about yea <snip> on the carry regulations
    There are none. You won't fine regualtions that allow you to wear red shirts on Fridays either.
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

An employee of yours hung up on you? Complain to their superior. Oh, I guess that won't work with Gross.
    Last edited by SouthernBoy; 01-25-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Superior? Not

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    An employee of yours hung up on you? Complain to their superior. Oh, I guess that won't work with Gross.
    Superior, not, maybe a supervisor.

With a predicted 5+ inches of snow falling this afternoon and tonight, is there a bad weather plan for the meeting? I know some people will be coming quite a long distance, and DC drivers are pretty clueless when it comes to winter weather.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    With a predicted 5+ inches of snow falling this afternoon and tonight, is there a bad weather plan for the meeting? I know some people will be coming quite a long distance, and DC drivers are pretty clueless when it comes to winter weather.
    PVC said a Va-Alert would be issued by noon if the meeting were to be canceled.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    PVC said a Va-Alert would be issued by noon if the meeting were to be canceled.
    And I just got the alert, so I guess that's that.

Will we try to get the representative from the police back for next month?

Waiting to hear back.. stay tuned..
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -

This is the 4th meeting i missed. 2 for work and now 2 for snow. Grrrrrrrrr

OK.. I just heard back. Not only will there be representatives as before but the Station Commander will also be there in Feb!

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

- - - -