• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Meeting - NOVA - Annandale - WED 01-26-2011

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
01/26/11 - Mason District Government Center - Large Conference Room

Meeting Schedule (Unless Otherwise Noted Above):

• [*] 7:30 - 8:00 pm -- Informal Gathering
    [*] 8:00 - 9:30 pm -- Meeting
    [*] 9:30 - ?:?? pm -- Informal Gathering at a Local Restaurant

Mason District Governmental Center
6507 Columbia Pike
Annandale, VA 22003

Special Guest expected from the Mason District Fairfax County Police to discuss how they handle a "man with a gun" call based on this thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?84467

Tao

Maybe you could video tape the meeting so those who won't / can't be there can see what is said.

I was just about to request the same thing.

If he's as upstanding as his letter from the other thread indicates, that video could be used as model for the many misbehaving LEOs around the country.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Sooper seekrit meetup at the usual place? I expect to be there by 1830.

grylnsmn

I was just about to request the same thing.

If he's as upstanding as his letter from the other thread indicates, that video could be used as model for the many misbehaving LEOs around the country.

If I can make it (which depends on whether the baby comes before then or not), I'll try to bring my camera and tripod. I'm no peter nap, but I'll do what I can.

epilogue

Just called the mason center's office, reached an admin of Gross', asked if there was any regulations on carry into the building and was hung up on.

Touchy subject I'm guessing?

VApatriot

Just called the mason center's office, reached an admin of Gross', asked if there was any regulations on carry into the building and was hung up on.

Touchy subject I'm guessing?

VCDL has been holding meetings in this building for years; it is perfectly legal to carry there, and dozens of people do just that each month. Penny Gross and her people can't do a thing to stop us, and I'm sure that that makes them none too pleased.

For the future, I would recommend against asking someone who works in a particular build (including LEOs) if it is ok to carry there. I believe that most will either not know for sure and just tell you no or they will mistakenly think that you can't carry there just because they can't. Things could become even more risky for you if someone says that they think that it is ok, when it might in fact be illegal. It is always better to do your own research to find out when and where you will be ok carrying.

epilogue

VCDL has been holding meetings in this building for years; it is perfectly legal to carry there, and dozens of people do just that each month. Penny Gross and her people can't do a thing to stop us, and I'm sure that that makes them none too pleased.

For the future, I would recommend against asking someone who works in a particular build (including LEOs) if it is ok to carry there. I believe that most will either not know for sure and just tell you no or they will mistakenly think that you can't carry there just because they can't. Things could become even more risky for you if someone says that they think that it is ok, when it might in fact be illegal. It is always better to do your own research to find out when and where you will be ok carrying.

Agreed, digging through the Fairfax co gov site produced nothing about yea or nay on the carry regulations, previous threads regarding the center didn't give me a clear answer either. I usually let signs do the answering.

(And I agree THINK is a bad word.)

VApatriot

Agreed, digging through the Fairfax co gov site produced nothing about yea or nay on the carry regulations, previous threads regarding the center didn't give me a clear answer either. I usually let signs do the answering.

(And I agree THINK is a bad word.)

Generally speaking, thanks to preemption in Virginia, if a building is owned by a county, city, or even the state, it is usually ok to carry there, unless it is one of the types of places that the Virginia General Assembly has expressly banned carry, such as K-12 schools, courthouses, and corrections facilities. Local government offices, park facilities, recreation centers, the VA-DMV, non-secure areas of police stations, and many other place are almost always open to those who are lawfully carrying a firearm in Virginia.

The Mason District Government Center is owned and operated by Fairfax County, but the state government in Richmond does not allow counties to restrict firearms carry beyond the level of restriction set by the General Assembly, so FX Co. can't prevent us from carry there.

If you have never been to a VCDL meeting before, I fully encourage you to come on Wednesday, and feel free to come carrying openly, as there will be many other there doing the same. And, don't let all the police cars worry you a bit (if you didn't already know, MDGC also contains a police station). The officers there are accustomed to our gatherings, so they will hardly even look your way.

Last edited:

grylnsmn

With a predicted 5+ inches of snow falling this afternoon and tonight, is there a bad weather plan for the meeting? I know some people will be coming quite a long distance, and DC drivers are pretty clueless when it comes to winter weather.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
With a predicted 5+ inches of snow falling this afternoon and tonight, is there a bad weather plan for the meeting? I know some people will be coming quite a long distance, and DC drivers are pretty clueless when it comes to winter weather.

PVC said a Va-Alert would be issued by noon if the meeting were to be canceled.