Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Grips could land me in prison?

Question My Grips could land me in prison?

A cop buddy of mine says that If I were to use my 1911 for self defense (i've got Punisher grips on her rite now), that I would most likely be nailed to the wall by the convicting DA. He sed it's because "The Punisher" is a vigilante who (and I quote) "Goes on vindictive killing sprees". I'm guessing he meant that maybe the DA could use the fact that my grips had the Punisher skull on them, and maybe say that I was out looking for trouble or sumthing? IDK,sounds plausable. Thoughts guys?

Here's a pic of a similar 1911, same grips i've got rite now:

Your cop friend brings up a valid point.
    You and I see it as custom decoration,but in the eyes of the prosecution
    its one more thing to add to the "Evil Black Gun" thing.
    Because they are greatly convinced a firearm has an uncontrollable mind and
    personality of its own.

Thats one of the biggest reason I avoid the crimson trace laser grips.
    The uneducated are convinced that the bullet is gonna follow a beam of light
    like a guided missile.

LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

It probably wouldn't help your case to have punisher grips on a weapon of self-defense. However, if your decision to use this weapon in self-defense is legit, I don't see how you could be convicted based upon "decorations".
    skorittnig

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    Your cop friend brings up a valid point.
    You and I see it as custom decoration,but in the eyes of the prosecution
    its one more thing to add to the "Evil Black Gun" thing.
    Because they are greatly convinced a firearm has an uncontrollable mind and
    personality of its own.

LR Yote
    I could not agree more.
    It should not matter what grips you have on your gun but we all know that a slick lawyer or anti gun DA will use everything against us.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

The grips won't be used as evidence of an evil gun, it'll be argued that you're the kind of person looking for trouble and hoping to "punish" someone. Were you really defending yourself or taking the opportunity to hurt someone kinda argument. A Sheriff's Deputy had problems come up over things roll marked on the barrel of his gun. That being said, GREAT looking grips!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    I could not agree more.
    It should not matter what grips you have on your gun but we all know that a slick lawyer or anti gun DA will use everything against us.
    I agree with LR Yote and Johnny. I carry a plain jane un-customized gun for that reason. The leftists out there will use every single thing against you they can drum up.

listen to your cop friend...the Jury that see's those grips they won't understand, all they will see is an evil looking gun with skull grips.. leave your carry weapon Plain & for the most part stock. The Prosecuting DA will use ANYTHING he can against you.

Buy another gun & make that your range weapon, I agree the grips are kick ass.
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 01-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    Thats one of the biggest reason I avoid the crimson trace laser grips.
    The uneducated are convinced that the bullet is gonna follow a beam of light
    like a guided missile.

LR Yote
    LMAO!

All too true tho...

Now what about tactical shotguns? Y'know, complete with side saddle,weapon light...etc. One could argue that you were looking for an "extended firefight" or sum crap like that. I'd hate to see this brought up as evidence at a trial, the jury i'm sure would tremble at the sight (Pic is not mine btw, used 4 reference).

-Landose-

Last edited by Landose_theghost; 01-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Landose, I feel your pain. It is said that this is the BS we are up against. I have a few tricked out weapons, but I keep those for the range. A plain jane basic handgun / shotgun will look alot better in court than some loaded up Tacti-cool weapon

Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312
    That's one of the biggest reason I avoid the crimson trace laser grips.
    The uneducated are convinced that the bullet is gonna follow a beam of light like a guided missile.
    Waidaminnit... they won't??? Aw, man.

But I agree that a decoration like that on your grips is inviting trouble, if you find yourself in trouble. Plain may be boring, but it's hard to get a jury to see you as fixated on death if you have beautiful burled wood grips.
    Last edited by MKEgal; 01-05-2011 at 03:22 PM.

I've heard similar things. In my Utah carry class a similar point was brought up about ammo. Don't carry with some custom round that you loaded yourself. The prosecutor could try to argue that you loaded a hot round to do more damage for exampe. Always use run of the mill mass produced ammo and keep extra ammo and the box that came with it just in case. Same thing with things like custom triggers, barrels, etc. Everything you do with the gun you have to think about how the prosecutor or even public could try to put a spin on it should you ever have to use it. If prosecuted you are going to have enough things to try to do to prove your case without having extra things like this to have to fight.

Cool grips, but I agree with your cop friend.

Campaign Veteran
    I can appreciate customized guns, but I think it's better to carry bone stock, with plain beige factory ammo. You have a right to a fair trial with a jury of your peers. Your peers will all originally be from LA or NYC. When they see a gun they go "eek." When they see a fawn they think "aww, Bambi," not "next year's venison." Etc, etc. No reason to give them any freebies.
    Last edited by petrophase; 01-04-2011 at 08:19 PM.

God forbid anyone here is placed in a position where they have no choice but to use their firearm to protect their own life or the lives of their loved ones. But if that should occur, those actions can result in the death or permanent disability of another individual. In that situation there are no 100% guarantees of how law enforcement or the judicial system will respond to the event. The images on your grips could sway an officer's recommendation to a DA or the DA's response to the situation; possibly someone does a background check or even tries to track down any posts you have made to this or any other internet forum. Or, in the perfect nightmare scenario, you are found innocent in a criminal proceeding only to be dragged into a civil action where the opposing side will be only too happy to show the jury pictures of your sidearm and grips as they question your character and your motivation.

Rather than take a risk I choose to spend my money on other things like better holsters, improved sights, or a round of malted beverages and deep fried cheese curds for my shooting buddies!
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Quote Originally Posted by kawisixer01 View Post
    I've heard similar things. In my Utah carry class a similar point was brought up about ammo. Don't carry with some custom round that you loaded yourself. The prosecutor could try to argue that you loaded a hot round to do more damage for exampe. Always use run of the mill mass produced ammo and keep extra ammo and the box that came with it just in case. Same thing with things like custom triggers, barrels, etc. Everything you do with the gun you have to think about how the prosecutor or even public could try to put a spin on it should you ever have to use it. If prosecuted you are going to have enough things to try to do to prove your case without having extra things like this to have to fight.

I heard exactly the same things in my Utah class. Maybe we had the same instructor. However, I also read within the last few months that what we were taught as stated above is a myth. The mind likes to play a lot of "what ifs". The article stated that there has never been a defensive shooting court case in which reloaded ammo or a modified firearm was a point of contention. FWIW

It's like "if you say it enough times, it will be true". Where have we heard that before?

Maybe the article is wrong. There are at least two sides to this.

I will try to find the article.
    Last edited by phred; 01-04-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    I heard exactly the same things in my Utah class. Maybe we had the same instructor. However, I also read within the last few months that what we were taught as stated above is a myth. The mind likes to play a lot of "what ifs". The article stated that there has never been a defensive shooting court case in which reloaded ammo or a modified firearm was a point of contention. FWIW

It's like "if you say it enough times, it will be true". Where have we heard that before?

Maybe the article is wrong. There are at least two sides to this.

I will try to find the article.
    All this was inspired by the principle--which is quite true within itself--that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.
    —Adolf Hitler , Mein Kampf, vol. I, ch. X
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

So consensus of the group is that we all agree with a cop for once? What is this the twilight zone? JK, Aside from that, anybody looking to buy sum slightly used Punisher grips?

-Landose-

It should not matter what your firearm looks like, but in today's world perception=reality.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    All this was inspired by the principle--which is quite true within itself--that in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying.
    —Adolf Hitler , Mein Kampf, vol. I, ch. X
    deja vu?

So consensus of the group is that we all agree with a cop for once? What is this the twilight zone?
    Well......
    So consensus of the group is that most agree with a cop for once?

Depends on the state. In a non gun friendly state, it could be a problem.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-04-2011 at 10:08 PM.

deja vu?
    I repeat that needs to be repeated. As evil as Hilter was, he was incredibly smart.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I repeat that needs to be repeated. As evil as Hilter was, he was incredibly smart.
    Oh, I completely agree on both counts. It's just that in just a few days, it was applied twice - on "opposite fronts"

When will they ever learn? When will they e....ver learn?
    the song dates me (hints: PPM, Flowers)

the song dates me (hints: PPM, Flowers)
    He isn't quite a decade older than you Phred, but Robert Allen Zimmerman will be glad to hear you still remember.... : - D
    Member of Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultus habebunt...

Oh, I completely agree on both counts. It's just that in just a few days, it was applied twice - on "opposite fronts"
    And I will continue to use it. I'm sure more and more people will eventually wake up to the lies they've been told by the left. Why will I do this? Because I know this forum is read by more than just members. It is read by the police, media, curious people, and enemies.
    Last edited by protias; 01-04-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast