• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

just a thought....

edrolee

i was eating at Five Guys in greenville at about 1315 today and saw a couple walk in, both carrying not exactly openly but not exactly concealed (ziped up jackets covering the buts of their pistols) and no readily visible badges. By the time they got their food the female had unzipped her jacket and pulled out her badge on a chain around her neck.

this got me thinking(and i am in no way advocating this it's just a thought exercise), wouldn't it be interesting to see... in those areas where LEO have a history of being somewhat hostile to OC such as Cary that MWAG call was maid on a U.S. Marshall or other federal or state LE in plain clothes or even a local LE

i wonder how many times would the local LE come in and try to run roughshod on a man/woman OC and that person turned out to be a Fed, i wonder how many times it would take before the locals changed their intimidation tactics

i would think after about the 2nd or 3rd time a local PD accosted a FED or tried to intimidate him b/c of a MWAG call that the local PD would start to get unwanted attention from the USDOJ and start having their 911 dispatchers question people making MWAG calls asking if the person carrying is acting out of line and informing the public that it is perfectly legal to OC

as i say i'm not advocating anything this is just a discussion, a though exercise, of something that occurred to me today as i had lunch today in greenville

i hope i got my point across and wasn't to rambling as to obscure my point

opinions?

razor_baghdad

As a responsible gun owner, I find this immature and selfish.

This would, IMHO, bring unwanted attention to we who OC. The LEO's would take more time administering harassment to those of us who exercise our rights.

I understand the question, I just don't see the result as being positive.

If the popo come to a MWAG call and a badge is produced, it's game over immediately, then the LEO's start looking for someone to blame for the call..... ;(

again...just my PO.

edrolee

as i said it was just a thought i had as i was eating lunch.....

maybe i am immature and selfish......

but like i said i'm not advocating anything other than thought and discussion

maybe i am immature and selfish b/c i always thought the promotion of the free exchange of ideas and open discussion was something that was good in a free and open society......

maybe i am immature and selfish...............

edrolee

the thing that prompted the thought was that when the 2 LE walked into Five Guys today you could see the holsters on both of them but not any ID

if i were an anti i could have easily called in a M/WWAG and if the 2 LE were from a different PDT (ie sheriff/PD, FED/PD or SBI/PD) and we had the kind of over reaction we have heard of from some LE in the state such as physically accosting the OCer rather than talking to them..... the response could be severely BAD and i doubt that more than 2 occurrences such as that would be needed to dramatically change they way a LE community handled gun calls

as i said simply speculative thought exercise

chiefjason

Harassment? That interaction would last about 30 seconds. Particularly with a US Marshal. They actually have the authority to override local PD's. The jurisdiction is always on the Marshals side, always.

FWIW, I was in the local Com Center for our PD when a MWAG call came in. The dispatcher took the call, and asked a unit to drive by, "when he got the chance." They guy was seen working on his truck beside the road. I mentioned that OC was perfectly legal and she said, "Yeah, but it's probably a cop." The cop took about 10 minutes to get by there and he was gone. No screaming sirens and not SWAT teams.

billv

i was eating at Five Guys in greenville at about 1315 today and saw a couple walk in, both carrying not exactly openly but not exactly concealed (ziped up jackets covering the buts of their pistols) and no readily visible badges. By the time they got their food the female had unzipped her jacket and pulled out her badge on a chain around her neck.

Hmmm. Interesting idea. I wonder how this might be perceived:

http://www.hoffnerstactical.com/matrix.aspx?id=72&lookupcode=ID-CHL-NECK

It's a concealed carry neck ID (and DL too I'd imagine). Put it in your shirt and take it out when needed. There's no law that says you can't display it. Pulling it out doesn't say you are LE or fed but they might think you are one. There are likely cheaper ones.

mekender

Hmmm. Interesting idea. I wonder how this might be perceived:

http://www.hoffnerstactical.com/matrix.aspx?id=72&lookupcode=ID-CHL-NECK

It's a concealed carry neck ID (and DL too I'd imagine). Put it in your shirt and take it out when needed. There's no law that says you can't display it. Pulling it out doesn't say you are LE or fed but they might think you are one. There are likely cheaper ones.

The general consensus is that those are about the most stupid thing you can get besides a Desert Eagle for concealed carry.