• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

1st OC through Aurora

blitzergixxer

Tonight was my first time exercising my OC right and I have to say it was quite pleasant. I went into Guitar Center to sell my guitar and was carrying my Springfield XDM 9mm in my drop holster. I did not observe any postings prohibiting OC, but to be safe, I asked the manager if he had a problem with it. He said "Not at all, man. Just so long you don't shoot anyone, we're ok with it." I conducted my business without so much as a look from others and had a very nice discussion with one of the clerks who also OCs.
I then went into Safeway for some shopping and just as before, no problems. I was skeptical at first by OCing, as I am originally from CA, but several other soldiers I serve with OC and after reading several threads about it, I decided to try it tonight. Definately pleasant.

mahkagari

I went into Guitar Center to sell my guitar and was carrying my Springfield XDM 9mm in my drop holster. I did not observe any postings prohibiting OC, but to be safe, I asked the manager if he had a problem with it.

I always wonder if this would be perceived as an attempt to influence negotiations. "I'm gonna sell my guitar, you gotta problem with my gun? Good! Now, how much can you give me for my guitar?" Relayed to a third party, it might not reflect reality.

This has crossed my mind a few times since my negotiating style tends to be a little agressive as is.

strife1013

I always wonder if this would be perceived as an attempt to influence negotiations. "I'm gonna sell my guitar, you gotta problem with my gun? Good! Now, how much can you give me for my guitar?" Relayed to a third party, it might not reflect reality.

This has crossed my mind a few times since my negotiating style tends to be a little agressive as is.

Ah ha ha, I was thinking the same thing.

mahkagari

Ah ha ha, I was thinking the same thing.

"Maybe you didn't hear me. I said the clutch is bad and yer gonna knock a thousand off the asking price!"

Pushing for a better deal while OCing is potentially a little harder to prove not brandishing. In an ideal world, the other party would be OCing and you could still wheel and deal like gentleman, but we ain't there.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I did not observe any postings prohibiting OC...

That's wise of you to look! I sometimes forget.

...but to be safe, I asked the manager if he had a problem with it.

I asked for the first couple of months, until I realized nearly all store owners fall into one of two categories: They're ok with it / They haven't seen it and don't know what to think, much less the legalities.

May of last year is the last time I asked. By then I knew the best ticket was to:

1. Ensure the place wasn't posted.

2. Ensure I was in a reasonable state of repair (well-groomed, decent clothes)

3. Ensure I was calm, quiet, and polite, while remaining vigilant.

When those three criteria are met, there are almost no places here in Colorado that will give you any grief. If they do, simply leave your merchandise where you stand and say, "No problem, Ma'am/Sir. I'll be taking my business elsewhere," and leave.

I was skeptical at first by OCing, as I am originally from CA, but several other soldiers I serve with OC and after reading several threads about it, I decided to try it tonight. Definately pleasant.

It is fun, isn't it? :D I spent two years in CA, and wouldn't even consider OCing until I found this site.