Thread: Glock Gen4's..... Opinions?

Glock Gen4's..... Opinions?

So I'm looking down the road to us getting constitutional carry and I've been looking at a few new guns that I might like to purchase for it. I own a gen3 glock 22 and have also shot the 17. I've been looking into the glock 19, or possibly the 23. I spent some time at a gun shop the other day looking at the gen4, and have spent a lot of time researching them online and have seen a lot of conflicting attitudes about them. Anyone out there have a gen4 model 19 or 23 or know anyone who does? I'd be interested to hear a little first hand experience from someone who isn't trying to sell me something lol. Thanks!!

McX
    not enough

I know that this is not what you asked for but it was what happened in my case.

I have always preferred revolvers but when I decided to get an auto, I started researching a Glock .40 cal. After reading for a few weeks on several different forums I decided to get a Springfield XDm .45 I have never been sorry about that choice and I actually love the thing. I am certainly not bad mouthing the Glock because it has a fantastic track record too. Make sure you don't short cut the holster either.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

Gen 4 Glock, XD45, 1911, Ruger LC9, Smith M&P ,Ruger SP 101 ---- They are all fine hand guns & all good choices.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Campaign Veteran GlockMeisterG21's Avatar
    I own a Gen 4 Glock 17 and love it.
    “The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. Back when we audited the FBI academy in 1947, I was told that I ought not to use my pistol in their training program because it was not fair. Maybe the first thing one should demand of his sidearm is that it be unfair.” — Col. Jeff Cooper, GUNS & AMMO, January 2002

Choose your sidearm ... stick with it. Choose your ammo ... stick with it. Practice ... practice ... practice.

Find something that fits your hand the way you want. Pick the sights you want. Your life might depend upon it some day.

The Gen 4 has some nice features, interchangeable back straps and the ability to switch the mag release from one side to the other.

That said, my Gen 3 Glock 17 won't be replaced anytime soon. It's fine as is.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

The only problem that I have heard about the Gen 4 Glocks is the dual stage recoil spring. Many replace that with a glockmeister single recoil spring. Perhaps Glock will go back to the single recoil spring? My Gen 3 G19 and G21 are great pistols.

I have a 17, but have been dying to get my hands on a 20 Perhaps this will be the year if I have any tax refund money left over.
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    I have a 17, but have been dying to get my hands on a 20 Perhaps this will be the year if I have any tax refund money left over.
    G20's are still Gen 3. The transition is phased in with the most popular models first. The 20 will be one of the last to get the Gen 4 treatment.

my Gen 3 - Glock 34 is awesome.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    my Gen 3 - Glock 34 is awesome.
    If I didn't have a 17 already, I'd get a 34.

Just north of the Sheeple's Republik of Madistan

Thumbs up Gen 4 Glock 26 is now on sale

Seeing alot of Gen 4 26's on Gunbroker.com. Being a lefty (left handed, not the bad kind) I would love to have a reversible mag release.
    Liberty or death. We're sorry, there are no other options available at this time..........
    "Safety is the new Liberty, and recklessness is the new Freedom, and alcoholism is the new Doug Huffman."

gen 4 G22. I've put lots of rounds through it and love it. not a single burp or hiccup. I have yet to have a single malfunction from any glock I've ever owned. I hope they come out with a gen 4 G35 and G24 sooner than later, I need to feed my addiction.
    "I have a long held belief that a man cannot have too many books, too many wines, or to much ammunition"

~Jeff Cooper~

I also own a XDM .40 and I agree that it is an excellent firearm! I think I'm most curious about the recoil springs and just how much they actually impact on the recoil of the gun. One thing I did like was the change they made to the grip, they made it more aggressive which really does help you keep a tight hold on it. I'm going to try and see if I can sample a gen4 at a range and see how I like it before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by oak1971 View Post
    G20's are still Gen 3. The transition is phased in with the most popular models first. The 20 will be one of the last to get the Gen 4 treatment.
    By the time I get around to getting one, the Gen 4 20 should be out, if not, I'd be happy with a Gen 3
    Rand Paul 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
    By the time I get around to getting one, the Gen 4 20 should be out, if not, I'd be happy with a Gen 3
    Same here, by the time I can get one the whole line up will have switched over. Which is fine because if there are any bugs in the design they will have been corrected by then.
    Last edited by oak1971; 01-06-2011 at 12:38 PM.