• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Gen4's..... Opinions?

keepyourreceipt

So I'm looking down the road to us getting constitutional carry :lol: and I've been looking at a few new guns that I might like to purchase for it. I own a gen3 glock 22 and have also shot the 17. I've been looking into the glock 19, or possibly the 23. I spent some time at a gun shop the other day looking at the gen4, and have spent a lot of time researching them online and have seen a lot of conflicting attitudes about them. Anyone out there have a gen4 model 19 or 23 or know anyone who does? I'd be interested to hear a little first hand experience from someone who isn't trying to sell me something lol. Thanks!!

Krusty

I know that this is not what you asked for but it was what happened in my case.

I have always preferred revolvers but when I decided to get an auto, I started researching a Glock .40 cal. After reading for a few weeks on several different forums I decided to get a Springfield XDm .45 I have never been sorry about that choice and I actually love the thing. I am certainly not bad mouthing the Glock because it has a fantastic track record too. Make sure you don't short cut the holster either.

Peacekeeper

Choose your sidearm ... stick with it. Choose your ammo ... stick with it. Practice ... practice ... practice.

Find something that fits your hand the way you want. Pick the sights you want. Your life might depend upon it some day.

oak1971

The Gen 4 has some nice features, interchangeable back straps and the ability to switch the mag release from one side to the other.

That said, my Gen 3 Glock 17 won't be replaced anytime soon. It's fine as is.

TyGuy

The only problem that I have heard about the Gen 4 Glocks is the dual stage recoil spring. Many replace that with a glockmeister single recoil spring. Perhaps Glock will go back to the single recoil spring? My Gen 3 G19 and G21 are great pistols.

oak1971

I have a 17, but have been dying to get my hands on a 20 :) Perhaps this will be the year if I have any tax refund money left over.

G20's are still Gen 3. The transition is phased in with the most popular models first. The 20 will be one of the last to get the Gen 4 treatment.

Flash Gordon

gen 4 G22. I've put lots of rounds through it and love it. not a single burp or hiccup. I have yet to have a single malfunction from any glock I've ever owned. I hope they come out with a gen 4 G35 and G24 sooner than later, I need to feed my addiction.

keepyourreceipt

I also own a XDM .40 and I agree that it is an excellent firearm! I think I'm most curious about the recoil springs and just how much they actually impact on the recoil of the gun. One thing I did like was the change they made to the grip, they made it more aggressive which really does help you keep a tight hold on it. I'm going to try and see if I can sample a gen4 at a range and see how I like it before I buy.

oak1971

By the time I get around to getting one, the Gen 4 20 should be out, if not, I'd be happy with a Gen 3

Same here, by the time I can get one the whole line up will have switched over. Which is fine because if there are any bugs in the design they will have been corrected by then.

Last edited: