Thread: UT Chattanooga

UT Chattanooga

Got off the phone with UTC police deputy chief... Apparently I cant store my fire arm in my trunk or in a lock bock while on campus... Any suggestions???

Cool

A university in Utah?

Quote Originally Posted by WCrawford View Post
    A university in Utah?
    University of Tennesse at Chattanoga

O crap i finally got what you said lmao.... Well in Ca i still Carried my glock in a lockbox in my backpack
    Last edited by stuckinchico; 01-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckinchico View Post
    Got off the phone with UTC police deputy chief... Apparently I cant store my fire arm in my trunk or in a lock bock while on campus... Any suggestions???
    I would put in a lock box in the trunk, unloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    I would put in a lock box in the trunk, unloaded.
    They said that they would break box open and still arrest me for it GRRRRR

Well, they would have to know it was there...

It is a question of Policy, not necessarily law - please read the Knoxville topic, as it deals with UT policy.
    Μολὼν λάβε

They said that they would break box open and still arrest me for it GRRRRR
    Fist of all, how would they know?

But the reason I said to unload it was to remove any question about the intent to go armed. If they still arrest you, they don't know the law apparnetly...

39-18-7-1309(c)(1)

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

http://www.michie.com/tennessee
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Fist of all, how would they know?

But the reason I said to unload it was to remove any question about the intent to go armed. If they still arrest you, they don't know the law apparnetly...

39-18-7-1309(c)(1)

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

http://www.michie.com/tennessee
    [B[/B]but I am a student lol

[B[/B]but I am a student lol
    Oh....

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Oh....

I guess it will be empty holster everday while wearing body armor in a low pro carrier

Man this sucks being unarmed at his university....... The distinction between the college and city is almost invisible the campus open and nut jobs have easy access to the campus and even better egress from the campus

Man this sucks being unarmed at his university....... The distinction between the college and city is almost invisible the campus open and nut jobs have easy access to the campus and even better egress from the campus
    Ok, there is your answer. Find a place just off campus, where you get full permission to park the vehicle. Off campus = outside jurisdiction of the campus cops...
    Μολὼν λάβε

Looks like our Governor is trying to stop the campus admin law from passing too. Hard to trust someone that was signed on with Bloomberg at one time.

Ya looks like its time for a conceal campus carry group at UTC

Yeah not to mention some of the thuggish kids that go to school there and are part of the crime rate problem in downtown when people get jumped, robbed, and fights break out... I wouldn't want to be at UTC w/o a permit.

The latest statistics from 2008 shown here http://www.utc.edu/Administration/De...k2009-2010.pdf indicate no rapes, homicides, or robberies and only one aggravated assault for that year on UTCs campus.

Do you seriously feel the need to carry body armor and a firearm on campus or are you more concerned with surrounding areas? I've been to Chattanooga quite a few times and I don't see the type of crime you're implying, particularly for a campus. I mean every city has its problems, but you're not dealing with Memphis. If you're off-site in a bad area, then sure, but it's hard for me to believe that students on UTCs campus are worse off than those at Austin Peay in Clarksville or MTSU in Murfreesboro.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 09-02-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScott31 View Post
    The latest statistics from 2008 shown here http://www.utc.edu/Administration/De...k2009-2010.pdf indicate no rapes, homicides, or robberies and only one aggravated assault for that year on UTCs campus.

Do you seriously feel the need to carry body armor and a firearm on campus or are you more concerned with surrounding areas? I've been to Chattanooga quite a few times and I don't see the type of crime you're implying, particularly for a campus. I mean every city has its problems, but you're not dealing with Memphis. If you're off-site in a bad area, then sure, but it's hard for me to believe that students on UTCs campus are worse off than those at Austin Peay in Clarksville or MTSU in Murfreesboro.
    Dude....You are just the guy I have been looking for. Can you maket me a list of places in metro Atlanta (and Athens too since I moved to Winder) that I won't need to be able to protect myself and my family? A map would be even better. That would be a huge help as this gun gets heavy at times. I would love to have your list and leave it at home if I am going somewhere "safe."

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
    Dude....You are just the guy I have been looking for. Can you maket me a list of places in metro Atlanta (and Athens too since I moved to Winder) that I won't need to be able to protect myself and my family? A map would be even better. That would be a huge help as this gun gets heavy at times. I would love to have your list and leave it at home if I am going somewhere "safe."
    Dude, last I checked this is the TN forum. Are you one of those that go to every thread in the OC forums trying to find something to argue about? It's one thing to mention handguns and other types of protection in an area of town known for drugs, assaults, and homicides. It's another to overexaggerate or embellish in an attempt to justify carry somewhere where it's not allowed. If someone wants to carry everywhere, that's their perrogative, but it peaks my interest when someone talks about how dangerous the campus of UTC is where they're literally afraid to go to classes without a handgun and/or body armor. Talk to the remaining 99.99% of the campus body and see if crime is so rampant they're considering an university change. If they are, then I'll be the first to apologize.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 09-02-2011 at 11:23 PM.

I know how you feel. I go to ETSU and work at a hospital, so I rarely get to carry anywhere. Can't wait to graduate and get a real job.
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Dude, last I checked this is the TN forum. Are you one of those that go to every thread in the OC forums trying to find something to argue about?
    I spent 21 years in TN, my brothers still live there, my son was born there, my nieces and nephews were born there, my mother died and is buried there. I think I have a right to be here thank you very much.

Dude, last I checked this is the TN forum. Are you one of those that go to every thread in the OC forums trying to find something to argue about? It's one thing to mention handguns and other types of protection in an area of town known for drugs, assaults, and homicides. It's another to overexaggerate or embellish in an attempt to justify carry somewhere where it's not allowed. If someone wants to carry everywhere, that's their perrogative, but it peaks my interest when someone talks about how dangerous the campus of UTC is where they're literally afraid to go to classes without a handgun and/or body armor. Talk to the remaining 99.99% of the campus body and see if crime is so rampant they're considering an university change. If they are, then I'll be the first to apologize.
    If crime is a rarity there, don't worry about defending yourself.

Thanks for your enlighte.....errr interesting response there.

Hopefully UTC never has a shooting spree like VT. A "No Firearms" policy was devastatingly effective there.

Oh and save the "This is Tennessee bro!" commentary, as its utterly meaningless, and a narrowly focused, obvious attempt to kick very salient points out of an argument you simply are ill-prepared to participate in.

While you're at it, you should take your ball and go home. Just sayin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

Quote Originally Posted by slowfiveoh View Post
    If crime is a rarity there, don't worry about defending yourself.

Thanks for your enlighte.....errr interesting response there.

Hopefully UTC never has a shooting spree like VT. A "No Firearms" policy was devastatingly effective there.

Oh and save the "This is Tennessee bro!" commentary, as its utterly meaningless, and a narrowly focused, obvious attempt to kick very salient points out of an argument you simply are ill-prepared to participate in.

While you're at it, you should take your ball and go home. Just sayin.
    Wow, what a surprise. I see you finally made it in here. I'm waiting on the rest to come in. Same people, same forum.

As far as Virginia Tech goes, did they change the weapon policy following the attack? Nope (http://www.policies.vt.edu/5616.pdf).

I'm not worried about defending myself. I didn't carry a gun for nearly 27 years and went to three different campuses. I'm a LEO and still don't carry all the time. I still believe there is no need to carry at the campus I went to for my undergrad, which is the biggest university in TN (22k+ last I checked).

I'm not ill-prepared to participate in anything. I share a different opinion than the majority on this forum. When word gets around to all of the veteran members, then an onslaught ensues. I find it entertaining that one member tells another about the discussion, regardless of the state (and its laws) and you all come rushing in. I'm not one to shy away from a good discussion, but to hear the same blabber and insults from guys who make a living posting in here about how they're right about everything, it gets old. Let me save you the trouble. If you have a problem with the laws, deal with the legislators. If you have a problem with university rules, go to the administration. If you have a problem with a court ruling, well, can't do much about that. Your opinions and interpretations of rules, 2nd Amendment issues, and laws are just that, OPINIONS. I enforce the current laws in my state. I have yet to cause a permit holder any grief and one that rarely even writes a ticket. I will exercise discretion when I need to, but I don't forget that I can enforce any laws that TN decides to put in the books. If you (or anyone else) don't like them, it's sort of pointless to whine to me about it.
    Last edited by SgtScott31; 09-22-2011 at 03:12 AM.