• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UT Chattanooga

HvyMtl

Well, they would have to know it was there...

It is a question of Policy, not necessarily law - please read the Knoxville topic, as it deals with UT policy.

Fallguy

They said that they would break box open and still arrest me for it GRRRRR

Fist of all, how would they know?

But the reason I said to unload it was to remove any question about the intent to go armed. If they still arrest you, they don't know the law apparnetly...

39-18-7-1309(c)(1)

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

http://www.michie.com/tennessee

stuckinchico

Fist of all, how would they know?

But the reason I said to unload it was to remove any question about the intent to go armed. If they still arrest you, they don't know the law apparnetly...

39-18-7-1309(c)(1)

It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

http://www.michie.com/tennessee

[B[/B]but I am a student lol

Fallguy

[B[/B]but I am a student lol

Oh....

Emily+LItella.jpg

stuckinchico

Man this sucks being unarmed at his university....... The distinction between the college and city is almost invisible the campus open and nut jobs have easy access to the campus and even better egress from the campus

HvyMtl

Man this sucks being unarmed at his university....... The distinction between the college and city is almost invisible the campus open and nut jobs have easy access to the campus and even better egress from the campus

Ok, there is your answer. Find a place just off campus, where you get full permission to park the vehicle. Off campus = outside jurisdiction of the campus cops...

Gav-n-Tn

Looks like our Governor is trying to stop the campus admin law from passing too. Hard to trust someone that was signed on with Bloomberg at one time.

CBLW

Yeah not to mention some of the thuggish kids that go to school there and are part of the crime rate problem in downtown when people get jumped, robbed, and fights break out... I wouldn't want to be at UTC w/o a permit.

SgtScott31

The latest statistics from 2008 shown here http://www.utc.edu/Administration/DepartmentOfPublicSafety/documents/SafetyBook2009-2010.pdf indicate no rapes, homicides, or robberies and only one aggravated assault for that year on UTCs campus.

Do you seriously feel the need to carry body armor and a firearm on campus or are you more concerned with surrounding areas? I've been to Chattanooga quite a few times and I don't see the type of crime you're implying, particularly for a campus. I mean every city has its problems, but you're not dealing with Memphis. If you're off-site in a bad area, then sure, but it's hard for me to believe that students on UTCs campus are worse off than those at Austin Peay in Clarksville or MTSU in Murfreesboro.

Last edited:

Kingfish

The latest statistics from 2008 shown here http://www.utc.edu/Administration/DepartmentOfPublicSafety/documents/SafetyBook2009-2010.pdf indicate no rapes, homicides, or robberies and only one aggravated assault for that year on UTCs campus.

Do you seriously feel the need to carry body armor and a firearm on campus or are you more concerned with surrounding areas? I've been to Chattanooga quite a few times and I don't see the type of crime you're implying, particularly for a campus. I mean every city has its problems, but you're not dealing with Memphis. If you're off-site in a bad area, then sure, but it's hard for me to believe that students on UTCs campus are worse off than those at Austin Peay in Clarksville or MTSU in Murfreesboro.
Dude....You are just the guy I have been looking for. Can you maket me a list of places in metro Atlanta (and Athens too since I moved to Winder) that I won't need to be able to protect myself and my family? A map would be even better. That would be a huge help as this gun gets heavy at times. I would love to have your list and leave it at home if I am going somewhere "safe."

SgtScott31

Dude....You are just the guy I have been looking for. Can you maket me a list of places in metro Atlanta (and Athens too since I moved to Winder) that I won't need to be able to protect myself and my family? A map would be even better. That would be a huge help as this gun gets heavy at times. I would love to have your list and leave it at home if I am going somewhere "safe."

Dude, last I checked this is the TN forum. Are you one of those that go to every thread in the OC forums trying to find something to argue about? It's one thing to mention handguns and other types of protection in an area of town known for drugs, assaults, and homicides. It's another to overexaggerate or embellish in an attempt to justify carry somewhere where it's not allowed. If someone wants to carry everywhere, that's their perrogative, but it peaks my interest when someone talks about how dangerous the campus of UTC is where they're literally afraid to go to classes without a handgun and/or body armor. Talk to the remaining 99.99% of the campus body and see if crime is so rampant they're considering an university change. If they are, then I'll be the first to apologize.

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

I know how you feel. I go to ETSU and work at a hospital, so I rarely get to carry anywhere. Can't wait to graduate and get a real job.

Kingfish

Dude, last I checked this is the TN forum. Are you one of those that go to every thread in the OC forums trying to find something to argue about?
I spent 21 years in TN, my brothers still live there, my son was born there, my nieces and nephews were born there, my mother died and is buried there. I think I have a right to be here thank you very much.