Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: A New Friend in the Legislature!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313

    A New Friend in the Legislature!

    He only won by 69 votes..but Christopher Davis (R), a young 24 year old is the new State Rep for East Windsor/Elllington. He sits on the influential (In terms of firearms) Public Safety and Security Committee and will be a great voice for us in Hartford!
    Last edited by buketdude; 01-05-2011 at 01:34 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Did you discuss the legality of OC and the upcoming push to ban it?
    Last edited by Rich B; 01-06-2011 at 12:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    Did you discuss the legality of OC and the upcoming bill to ban it?


    Upcoming bill???

    What bill would that be? Please supply the number.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    Upcoming bill???

    What bill would that be? Please supply the number.

    Thanks
    You are correct in your pedantry. Updated.

  5. #5
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    I tried to find info on the proposed legislation on the CAGV website...... but, I find it odd that there is no current information.......

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by KIX View Post
    I tried to find info on the proposed legislation on the CAGV website...... but, I find it odd that there is no current information.......
    They don't have anything particular or timely, but they do mention it here:

    http://www.cagv.org/understanding_open-carry.htm

    I am sure this was referring to some previous year though.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313
    I did not mention the exact subject of Open Carry but if/when a bill is introduced on the subject I will contact him about it. I mentioned gun rights in general and this bill among other subjects as well. He was very forward about his support of the civil rights of keep and bear arms.

    http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillsta...hich_year=2011
    Last edited by buketdude; 01-07-2011 at 10:18 AM.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
    if/when a bill is introduced on the subject I will contact him about it.
    It is my understanding that once it is formed into a bill, we have very little time to react. (Although I admit I don't have a clue here, just going off conversations at meetings)

    Shouldn't we be educating these legislators and other people from the start about what the DPS is up to? Seems like we don't need to wait until this becomes a bill to show the history and malicious nature of these ideas. The legislators meet and talk to other legislators all the time. It would not be a bad thing for the word to get around that DPS' power has gone to their head and they are no longer acting in the interest of public safety or within the bounds of common sense and reason.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313
    I can mention it to him but we will have plenty of time to contact them before the public hearing..then they still have to vote on it...but 1st see what is even introduced this session...I believe Lawlor was the guy who introduced microstamping and such..he is no longer part of the Legislature...Rep Tong also is also someone to watch to introduce bills.....I am going to website and checking everyday for bills introduced...DPS ususually has someone introduce a ton of crap into 1 bill...that will go in front of the PS&S Committe before going to judiciary committee next I believe...then to house and senate....We will have to see what Malloy does...like Rell he does not like gun owners but I am not sure he will press for more laws...CT is in deep Sh** and I believe he will spend all his time raising taxes..
    Last edited by buketdude; 01-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
    I believe he will spend all his time raising taxes..
    That is why I am worried about a tax on law abiding citizens having a bulge under their sweatshirt.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Enfield, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    That is why I am worried about a tax on law abiding citizens having a bulge under their sweatshirt.
    It's possible..along with your Income Tax, Sales Tax, Gas Tax, Tolls....Dan "The Tax Man" Malloy has promised not to leave "1 paycheck untouched" by Government. Feb 16th I believe his budget plan comes out, in which his finanical raping of anyone who does not work in Goverment will be unveiled....I am glad I am still renting..because New Hampshire looks better and better everyday...

  12. #12
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post
    You are correct in your pedantry. Updated.
    Sorry that you find my atention to detail a problem.
    If it is your intention to ALARM people to a bill that does not actually exist yet, then please continue along the path of MISINFORMATION.

    When and if this bill actually comes up in committee, only time will tell...

  13. #13
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    Sorry that you find my atention to detail a problem.
    I am not sure you are reading me correctly. I have not expressed any 'problem' with your 'detail'. That is why I corrected my post as soon as you brought this to my intention. Honest mistakes do happen, and I always appreciate someone correcting me on mine.

    If it is your intention to ALARM people to a bill that does not actually exist yet, then please continue along the path of MISINFORMATION.
    Obviously my goal was not to spread misinformation, however, I don't think alarm is uncalled for. This doesn't need to become a bill for people to start getting involved and working on it.

    You are, as I said previously, 100% correct. It is not yet a bill.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    I am reading you correctly if you know the meaning of the word "Pedantry"

    In most cases it is somewhat meant as a put down.
    Last edited by Lenny Benedetto; 01-08-2011 at 10:42 PM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member KIX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    960
    Wow.......

    Can't we all just get along, we have a legislature hell bent on destroying our constitutional rights to deal with.

    I'm just sayin'.......

    Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

    Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    I am reading you correctly if you know the meaning of the word "Pedantry"

    In most cases it is somewhat meant as a put down.
    I don't really think it is productive to argue semantics, and I usually stay away from doing so. However, I agree with Kix's "Can't we all get along?" statement, so allow me to explain my usage of 'pedantry'.

    As defined, a 'bill' is 'proposed legislation'. Upcoming means 'approaching: of the relatively near future'. So, yes. We can expect proposed legislation in the relatively near future (likely in January of February from what I know).

    As I have indicated, you are correct that it is not currently a bill, in that it has not yet been officially proposed by a legislator, and that it is possible (although not at all likely) it may never make it to a bill. All evidence and conversation I have seen shows quite a bit of legislative support for the proposal.

    So again, I fully admit that you are correct, and I corrected my wording to make anyone who felt wronged by my wording feel better. However, this is a very good example of a focus on trivial edges to an issue. A focus that is, in my opinion, not productive. If you take that as insulting, then that surely is your choice because again, I have not made any comment that was meant to be insulting. But please do remember that I sided with your correction of my wording and corrected it. Stating that I am trying to mislead anyone here by using the razor's edge of scrutiny in wording options is hyperbole at best.

    Lets try and stay productive and not spend our time questioning people's motives or choice of wording unless there is actually something at stake.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Yes Rich you fixed your original misleading post and in the process you also put me down for pointing out the fact of what you were doing.

    OK so here is my "As defined"

    Pedantry:
    the habit or an instance of being a pedant, esp in the display of USELESS knowledge or minute observance of PETTY rules or details


    "Pedantry" It IS a put down and I DO NOT APPRECIATE IT!

    As for all this "Cant we all just get along" Crap. I was not the one that put anyone down you were...by definition!.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Rich B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Branford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,910
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Benedetto View Post
    Yes Rich you fixed your original misleading post and in the process you also put me down for pointing out the fact of what you were doing.

    OK so here is my "As defined"

    Pedantry:
    the habit or an instance of being a pedant, esp in the display of USELESS knowledge or minute observance of PETTY rules or details


    "Pedantry" It IS a put down and I DO NOT APPRECIATE IT!

    As for all this "Cant we all just get along" Crap. I was not the one that put anyone down you were...by definition!.
    I am sorry if you took offense at my choice of wording, but I stand by my use of the word pedantry. Cherry picking a definition of a word and using it to feign outrage isn't going to help anything here.

    Lets move on to more productive things.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Lenny Benedetto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    VP of CCDL, Inc., ,
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich B View Post

    Lets move on to more productive things.
    And since you run things out here....we had all better do what you say!

    Oh ya and FEIGN OUTRAGE....Could it be that you actually PISSED ME OFF....my guess is yes!
    So feign is also a VERY incorrect word to use!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •