Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just when you think your safe

Just when you think your safe

I was at the range a few days ago shooting a new gun I bought. A real nice customized Colt Delta Elite Stainless 10mm. I Was shooting it at Bass Pro range off I75 & Baldwin rd. Tygereye was there shooting with me. As I was shooting she was behind me when she hollered out a piece of brass hit her pretty hard. Then she looked around and discovered a HOT round on the floor. I had a round go down & ricochet back. I assumed it was safe and never worried about a ricochet. Here's a few pics. Good thing no one was hurt. I guess that's why we wear safety glasses......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0724.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	4934  
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

Was this an indoor range or an outdoor range? The reason I ask is that I could see at an outdoor range hitting a rock and getting a ricochet.

Glad to hear there were no serious injuries!
    Last edited by budlight; 01-05-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Congrats on the new firearm, pictures or it doesn't exist!

Damn 10mm are so powerful, not even range backstops can stop them!

I have been hit in the legs a couple times on shorter ranges where the range line was open under the range shooting bench. I had jeans on both times so it didn't do any damage from the bullet fragments, but I was definitely "on alert" afterwards.

I assumed it was safe
    And we all know about assuming. What kind of backstop is there to cause a richochet or wonder did it hit something else? As you say glasses, hearing protection, no low cut shirts etc. Might want to add a bullet proof vest and kevlar helmet. I agree that this is unusual and one would assume that it would never happen but that is why we should always follow all the rules of gun safety and more.

I believe they use ground rubber at the range. From what I could see there wasn't anything hard enough to make this round ricochet. It was a 180grn FNFMJ. They run out around 1150 feet per second. The gun is ported so recoil isn't as much as my 45.

And yea I know....here's the pic :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix789172981.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	4937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix440766130.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	4938  

Looking at the photograph, it appears the round hit an edge of something and then rolled/spinned at a high rate of speed causing it to tumble backwards towards you. Note the grove cut into the bullet face and down the side of it. It could have hit and rolled off the target holding mechanism or something that was not a flat surface causing a spin as evidenced by the grove continuing down the side of the projectile.

It's a guess, but I have seen this before.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowDog View Post
    I was at the range a few days ago shooting a new gun I bought. A real nice customized Colt Delta Elite Stainless 10mm. I Was shooting it at Bass Pro range off I75 & Baldwin rd. Tygereye was there shooting with me. As I was shooting she was behind me when she hollered out a piece of brass hit her pretty hard. Then she looked around and discovered a HOT round on the floor. I had a round go down & ricochet back. I assumed it was safe and never worried about a ricochet. Here's a few pics. Good thing no one was hurt. I guess that's why we wear safety glasses......
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

I agree on your assessment of it hitting something hard....but I was shooting at a paper target taped to a large piece of cardboard hanging from the track that runs along the cieling. My rounds were all thru the center of the target in a tight group...I even counted the holes. Something down where the SOFT back stop is was hit and sent it back.It hit her pretty hard where her keys were hooked onto her belt loop. With the jagged edge of the bullet a face hit would've been alot more serious. Thus the reason the range manager was so "wigged" out when I told him.

Banned
    I've seen pieces of rounds that have come back at that range before, when I asked the range officer about it, he told me that they do occasionally come back and smack the glass. This is a problem that they know about. They do use a crushed rubber backstop.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was your gun and how many rounds does it hold?

I like 1911's, but I hate the low round count, so I don't personally own one. I'm realllllyyyyy liking the look of your gun though. I want one.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was your gun and how many rounds does it hold?

I like 1911's, but I hate the low round count, so I don't personally own one. I'm realllllyyyyy liking the look of your gun though. I want one.
    8 or 9 shot magazines, and 650 dollars used on very a good day.

Compared to a Glock 20 with a Robar conversion, it is definitely lacking in firepower. Well, not really since it's a 10mm, but certainly better capacity is available. Whatever the shortcomings it has, it makes up for it in extreme shootability for those with smaller hands, not to mention the fact that single stack magazines can be carried in great numbers easily by doubling them up in double stack pouches.

Definitely an awesome gun. I'm jealous.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Banned
    bass pro has a rubber backstop
    You missed the target and hit the target hanger most likely

Banned
    Bullets go right through those.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    Bullets go right through those.
    wanna bet that they always go right through?
    look at the hangers next time youre there, there are holes and there are clear shot marks from impacting bullets
    even the lil wire ones at the sportsmans club have stood up to a stray 45 round
    Last edited by Beerme; 01-05-2011 at 10:25 PM.

"you'll shoot her eye out" was what i thought when i read the story and it was from a christmas gun too : )

glad it turned out ok

hate to be grammar police but in your heading 'just when you think YOUR safe' it should actually be YOU'RE - the contraction for YOU ARE not the possesive YOUR

Quote Originally Posted by Beerme View Post
    bass pro has a rubber backstop
    You missed the target and hit the target hanger most likely
    NO I DIDN'T MISS! Please pay attention to detail. As I said. We counted the holes in the paper. 8 rounds fired from mag and 8 holes in the paper. Why do you automatically state things to try and stir up stuff when you don't even know or read all that was posted?

And when it comes to shooting accurately. just ask Tygereye. She was the one hit by the returning round. Ask her if I miss....I am not blowing my own horn but I DO NOT SHOOT OFF TARGET! I am insulted that you say this about me never seeing me on a range shooting.

Banned
    Ok, I made a blanket statement. I shot one once, missed lol, and it went through.

Banned
    NO I DIDN'T MISS! Please pay attention to detail. As I said. We counted the holes in the paper. 8 rounds fired from mag and 8 holes in the paper. Why do you automatically state things to try and stir up stuff when you don't even know or read all that was posted?

And when it comes to shooting accurately. just ask Tygereye. She was the one hit by the returning round. Ask her if I miss....I am not blowing my own horn but I DO NOT SHOOT OFF TARGET! I am insulted that you say this about me never seeing me on a range shooting.

Good lord man do not over react.

look at the bullet
    it made contact with something other than the backstop...
    was not trying to stir ****, take the branch outta your ass

Ouch! Bullets can ricochet, but the force is usually not enough to cause serious damage... wear eye and groin protection and you should be fine lol.
    Last edited by AFPVet; 01-06-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Angry

Beerme If you read his post again, you will (SEE) that he had stated that ALL of his bullets went thru the (center) of the target. enough said insert smiley face hehe
    And remove the telephone pole from your *** first GRRR!!
    GEESH !!!!

Once I was standing behind the active shooter during a simulation competition at a local indoor range, about 50 ft from the backstop. I got a piece of hot lead/jacket that landed right on my face (cheek) and burned me a good blister before I could swipe it off.

I have not been to that range, but in many ranges they use steel to hold everything together at the backstop, and it's welded causing edges. It could have hit an edge as evidenced by that grove in the bullet and caused a spin evidenced by the groove cutting down the side of the bullet and causing it to come back at you. The good thing is of the literal thousands of range days I have had, I have seen more than my fair share of "returned rounds" and was hit by a couple, but the velocity is nothing more than someone throwing it at you, so even the worst case scenario may result in a tiny bruise on ones cheek, I doubt that anything significant will happen. yes it can be unnerving but it is a lesson in the wearing of safety glasses.

Good thing is that since I started shooting in National Match Competition at age 13 I have never heard of anyone getting injured to any significance or anything other than a slight make or bruise, and even that is very rare. Frankly walking into the building from your car poses more danger.

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

LMAO! Groin protection? We can see where your priorities are LOL.

Yes I agree on eye protection, but almost every range I was at (indoor) had a under the counter shield or something to prevent idiots from crawling under that bench/counter top into the range area to chase a screwdriver they accidentally dropped there. Boy have I seen that happen a couple of times, people not thinking and running into the line of fire to retrieve something they dropped there, usually met with several people screaming stop shooting, cease fire or something to the like.

WEAR ear protection and Safety glasses!

And groin protection if you wish LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    Ouch! Bullets can ricochet, but the force is usually not enough to cause serious damage... wear eye and groin protection and you should be fine lol.
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 01-06-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    Frankly walking into the building from your car poses more danger.
    Driving there is the most dangrous part. By far.
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 01-06-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

My safe what?

Quote Originally Posted by AFPVet View Post
    ... wear eye and groin protection and you should be fine lol.
    and for the ladies

check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast