• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just when you think your safe

Bailenforcer

I have not been to that range, but in many ranges they use steel to hold everything together at the backstop, and it's welded causing edges. It could have hit an edge as evidenced by that grove in the bullet and caused a spin evidenced by the groove cutting down the side of the bullet and causing it to come back at you. The good thing is of the literal thousands of range days I have had, I have seen more than my fair share of "returned rounds" and was hit by a couple, but the velocity is nothing more than someone throwing it at you, so even the worst case scenario may result in a tiny bruise on ones cheek, I doubt that anything significant will happen. yes it can be unnerving but it is a lesson in the wearing of safety glasses.

Good thing is that since I started shooting in National Match Competition at age 13 I have never heard of anyone getting injured to any significance or anything other than a slight make or bruise, and even that is very rare. Frankly walking into the building from your car poses more danger.

NO I DIDN'T MISS! Please pay attention to detail. As I said. We counted the holes in the paper. 8 rounds fired from mag and 8 holes in the paper. Why do you automatically state things to try and stir up stuff when you don't even know or read all that was posted?

And when it comes to shooting accurately. just ask Tygereye. She was the one hit by the returning round. Ask her if I miss....I am not blowing my own horn but I DO NOT SHOOT OFF TARGET! I am insulted that you say this about me never seeing me on a range shooting.

Bailenforcer

LMAO! Groin protection? We can see where your priorities are LOL. :p

Yes I agree on eye protection, but almost every range I was at (indoor) had a under the counter shield or something to prevent idiots from crawling under that bench/counter top into the range area to chase a screwdriver they accidentally dropped there. Boy have I seen that happen a couple of times, people not thinking and running into the line of fire to retrieve something they dropped there, usually met with several people screaming stop shooting, cease fire or something to the like.

WEAR ear protection and Safety glasses!

And groin protection if you wish LOL.

Ouch! Bullets can ricochet, but the force is usually not enough to cause serious damage... wear eye and groin protection and you should be fine lol.

Last edited:

oldbanger

... wear eye and groin protection and you should be fine lol.

and for the ladies

metalbra.jpg

check

MKEgal

oldbanger said:
and for the ladies
metalbra.jpg

I want one. Talk about something that would stop bounce... (Not to mention groping. Can you imagine a cop or TSA agent trying to feel you up with one of those on?) :lol:

Hey Bronson - if you want to show off your superior technique, you can make me one of those... But it needs a wider band & straps.

army74

Range

Ive been to that range alot and ive never had that happen 2 me before so i really cant say anything. Cant wait until i take my Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm to try out at the range have to wait about 3 weeks before i pick it up. Thanks Beerme for all your help on that also i appreciate it.

tygereye

I will definately attest to Slowdogs capabilities at a range! Like he mentioned previously, if it would have hit me in the face, I would have likely been bruised and/or scratched, but no worse... I have my keys hanging from a belt loop on my left side, and it hit hard enough to swing them pretty good, but no damage to them, and the break-away point didn't even come apart... We were at an indoor range, and from what slowdog said, the range person said they hadn't ever had that happen before... I always have eye/ear protection on when at a range...

PDinDetroit

I will definately attest to Slowdogs capabilities at a range! Like he mentioned previously, if it would have hit me in the face, I would have likely been bruised and/or scratched, but no worse... I have my keys hanging from a belt loop on my left side, and it hit hard enough to swing them pretty good, but no damage to them, and the break-away point didn't even come apart... We were at an indoor range, and from what slowdog said, the range person said they hadn't ever had that happen before... I always have eye/ear protection on when at a range...

Good to hear you were not injured. Good to see you post here today!

tygereye

I hate the fact I don't get to the meetings, and meet-ups... but, school calls... :D But, when I graduate, I hope to have my own vet clinic, and it will be VERY open carry friendly, in fact, I think the Doc will be carrying!!! LOL

Edited to add... That day, we also discovered that Toby Keith's Bar and Grill has a "No weapons" sign posted with a picture of a pistol, and knife, and possibly other "weapons" pictured... We didn't bother to eat there, which kinda bummed me out, as I have heard good things about their food... Ohhh well...

Last edited: