Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Real Life Superheroes

Thoughts on Real Life Superheroes

What are your thoughts on the Real Life Superheroes that actually dress up in Superhero costumes and patrol the streets, literally fighting crime?

The ones I am aware of always act within the boundaries of the law, and act in a similar fashion as a traditional superhero. One of the Superheroes up here in Seattle, who goes by "Phoenix Jones", is often having lunch with command staff of the Seattle PD.. IN COSTUME.

I think it's pretty cool, to be honest. He even had his costume woven with kevlar from his knees to his chest.

On Sunday, he stopped an attempted car jacker

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...an-of-seattle/

All the other superheros are peeved!? Why

These things are interesting, but I can't help but find it slightly disturbing that he is dressed that way.

If only I hadn't moved out of my mothers basement...I could have become so much more
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

What is funny is police are ok with nut jobs like this running around, but they target open carriers. So if I open carry and dress like the punish-er they would leave me alone because I am out fighting crime dressed like a complete nut job.
    Last edited by zack991; 01-05-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

Sadly, or possibly thankfully, it's illegal to walk around in public in Virginia with a mask on (limited exceptions like for halloween) so superheroes here cannot conceal their real-life identities. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-422

Did anyone else notice that when he pulled that stun stick out he had to reverse it in order to get to te grip? I guess, then, that he's pulling it out by the business end. Not sure that makes him either super or a hero, but it does suggest he's something else.

With the dangers inherent in effecting a citizen's arrest (think kidnap, false imprisonment, assault and/or assault and battery, etc.) I'm amazed that a) he even contemplates it and b) has not been hauled up in a lawsuit yet. Sometimes being a good witness - especially in property crimes - is the most elegant solution.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    All the other superheros are peeved!? Why

These things are interesting, but I can't help but find it slightly disturbing that he is dressed that way.

If only I hadn't moved out of my mothers basement...I could have become so much more
    VERY funny m'Lady! I do however consider myself somewhat of a superhero..oh, I may not have TSAs x-ray vision and can't grope two people at once without changing gloves between, but I do what I can. I'll post my uniform oic shortly if I can figure out how (apparently lack quick thinking as well)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Sadly, or possibly thankfully, it's illegal to walk around in public in Virginia with a mask on (limited exceptions like for halloween) so superheroes here cannot conceal their real-life identities. http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+18.2-422...
    Actually, it's pretty easy. Just wear glasses when you are in your mild-mannered alter ego. Take them off when in super-hero mode. No one will recognize you.

--Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    What is funny is police are ok with nut jobs like this running around, but they target open carriers. So if I open carry and dress like the punish-er they would leave me alone because I am out fighting crime dressed like a complete nut job.
    Nut jobs?! This guy is awesome. People can make fun of them as much as they want, but it takes a lot of balls to put on that suit and fight crime. The world would be a lot better place if more people had the guts to stand up for what's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    Nut jobs?! This guy is awesome. People can make fun of them as much as they want, but it takes a lot of balls to put on that suit and fight crime. The world would be a lot better place if more people had the guts to stand up for what's right.
    If you want to fight crime then become a police officer, that or simply be a carrying member of society who goes about their daily business and simple watch out for criminals. Not a single jury member would take this nut job serious if he went to court to testify.That and the judge could charge him with contempt of court if he came into the court room all dressed up. There is nothing sane about a grown man thinking he is some super hero running around in nothing more than a Halloween outfit. The sad thing is this man is allowed to get away with this nonsense while some police departments target open carriers as nut jobs.
    Last edited by zack991; 01-06-2011 at 07:34 AM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.

"Nuttier than a fruitcake."
    "Elevator doesn't go to the top floor."
    "Two sandwiches shy of a picnic."
    (Almost purely Southern) "Well, bless his heart."

Personal opinion: He is either going to get badly hurt (or killed) or cause someone else to get hurt.

Banned
    this man is a ******* nut, end of story, poor bastard thinks hes living in a comic book, even goes and changes at a comic book store.
    to start and figure out who he is, go to every moms house who has a sad pathetic middle aged comic book fan living in the basement
    look in the closet
    end of story

Banned
    Oh, well, end of story!

That's it. Everyone shut up. Don't forget to hit the lights on the way out.

Banned
    I hate you eye

So, let me get this right. You guys are targeting him as a "nut job" even though he is acting within every bit of his rights, and within the boundaries of the law, but I suppose you get offended when people call you the nut jobs? It's justified to him, and he's not doing anything wrong. He's doing something right, and actually has the courage to do so.

What exactly is he "getting away with"? He is violating no laws.
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1124 View Post
    So, let me get this right. You guys are targeting him as a "nut job" even though he is acting within every bit of his rights, and within the boundaries of the law, but I suppose you get offended when people call you the nut jobs? It's justified to him, and he's not doing anything wrong. He's doing something right, and actually has the courage to do so.
    Big difference between him and us open carry people is, he thinks he is a living breathing comic book. He goes out looking for trouble to begin with and he is damn lucky he has not gotten anyone killed. We certainly don't go out carrying looking for trouble, we are vigilant to our surrounding. We don't go dressing up as Clint east wood trying to catch robbers and ask them "do you feel lucky punk."
    Last edited by zack991; 01-06-2011 at 11:36 AM.

Did anyone else notice that he called his "Stun Baton" a "Taser". (Aaron, I know you did)
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

C'mon Man!!!

I can respect and applaud the courage and effort on “to do something against crime”, but definitely the whole thing went down the drain as soon as he put that costume on. That guy is just living a fantasy…A dangerous fantasy… By the way, hope he doesn’t get kill (or get somebody else kill) on his “heroic quest.”

Seattle? The Washington State Constitution on bearing arms is the parent of Arizonas word for word. OK... so why does this three fries short of a Happy Meal costumed crime fighter not carry? Bizzare comes to mind... Altho seemingly well intentioned, he goes looking for confrontations that he's ill-equipped to handle. I dunno... you'd think it'd be easier (and more effective) just to become a cop.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonora Rebel View Post
    Seattle? The Washington State Constitution on bearing arms is the parent of Arizonas word for word. OK... so why does this three fries short of a Happy Meal costumed crime fighter not carry? Bizzare comes to mind... Altho seemingly well intentioned, he goes looking for confrontations that he's ill-equipped to handle. I dunno... you'd think it'd be easier (and more effective) just to become a cop.
    On the other hand, if you are a criminal and see him coming to stop you instead of a cop do you pause to laugh just long enough that he gets the drop on you?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

So the guy dresses up in a costume to fight crime and people are complaining about it? I don't know why he has to dress up like a super hero, but if he wants to, then let him. If he stops a few crimes and helps a few people, then he's done more than most will to help his community.

Why are people trashing him and claiming he's living in a fantasy? Do you think that wearing a costume might actually be beneficial to him? If he went around fighting crime dressed in tacticool gear and wearing a gun openly, people would call him a vigilante.

Maybe he is just a middle aged nerd who lives in his mothers basement, but at least he's doing something useful in his free time. After all, don't the police wear a costume?

Quote Originally Posted by irish52084 View Post
    So the guy dresses up in a costume to fight crime and people are complaining about it? I don't know why he has to dress up like a super hero, but if he wants to, then let him. If he stops a few crimes and helps a few people, then he's done more than most will to help his community.

Why are people trashing him and claiming he's living in a fantasy? Do you think that wearing a costume might actually be beneficial to him? If he went around fighting crime dressed in tacticool gear and wearing a gun openly, people would call him a vigilante.

Maybe he is just a middle aged nerd who lives in his mothers basement, but at least he's doing something useful in his free time. After all, don't the police wear a costume?
    Good points. I am sure the guy is well intentioned I just hope for his stake he doesn't make a big mistake and get himself in trouble by attempting a citizen's arrest on an innocent person. He could wind up being legally hurt, killed, sued or arrested should he try to capture a law abiding person who is doing nothing wrong.

As far as him living in a fantasy. I can argue that we all live in our own fantasys. I say more power to the guy. I hope he is living his life to the fullest and enjoying it as much as he can.

Quote Originally Posted by END_THE_FED View Post
    Did anyone else notice that he called his "Stun Baton" a "Taser". (Aaron, I know you did)
    Yeah, I noticed it. Seems like everyone thinks stun guns and tasers are synonymous with each other. The guy is only 24, by the way. Not a middle aged man.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    As far as him living in a fantasy. I can argue that we all live in our own fantasys. I say more power to the guy. I hope he is living his life to the fullest and enjoying it as much as he can.
    Yep +1. And he is helping I don't care how much people think he is nuts.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast