• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loaded AR15 Magazines

B52buff

I am a newbee to the forum and I have a question about loaded AR15 magazines in a car. I have heard 2 different opinions about this. The question is: Is is legal to carry loaded AR15 magazines ( or any loaded magazines ) in a vehicle to a range if it is in a seperate case from the weapon? So the weapon is in one case ( not loaded ) and the ammo is in another case in the magazines. Need legal opinions. Thanks

Last edited:

budlight

I am a newbee to the forum and I have a question about loaded AR15 magazines in a car. I have heard 2 differnt opinions about this. The question is: Is is legal to carry loaded AR15 ( or any loaded magazines ) in a vehicle to a range if it is in a seperate case from the weapon? So the weapon is in one case ( not loaded ) and the ammo is in another case in magazines. Need legal opinions. Thanks

I don't see a problem with the magazines being loaded as long as they are separate from the gun. If I missed something on this I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
respectfully, I disagree. I'm pretty sure the long gun is supposed to be in a case, and I distinctly remember the use of the term wrapper.
Magazine refers to those in a firearm, not detachable ones. So as long as it's a detached magazine you can have it full of rounds.

Here's two statutes on transport...a case may not be needed in some cases..

324.43513 Carrying, transporting, or possessing firearm, slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow; hunting license not required; carrying or possessing unloaded weapon.
Sec. 43513.
(1) A person may carry, transport, or possess a firearm without a hunting license if the firearm is unloaded in both barrel and magazine and either enclosed in a case or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle. A person may carry, transport, or possess a slingshot, bow and arrow, or crossbow without a hunting license if the slingshot, bow, or crossbow is unstrung, enclosed in a case, or carried in a vehicle in a location that is not readily accessible to any occupant of the vehicle.

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 227d.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Michigander

As absurd, unconstitutional and slanderous towards gun owners as 227d is, it's really quite simple about long gun transport.

You can have the ammo in the case or out of it, doesn't really matter, just can't be in the gun. I prefer my pocket, and failing that the case, but not seated in the receiver.

My suggestion is to leave the case with the rifle in the front seat, unless you are going within 1000 feet of a k-12 school, because at that point the treasonous federal gun free school zones act pretty much requires trunked transport. If no schools are in the area, and if rapid self defense or hunting firearm deployment is desired, this is the only way to transport your long guns. This allows deployment of a gun like an AR or other box magazine fed rifles in under 3 seconds. Beats the living hell out of having to go to the trunk.

"Broken down" is kind of a hard thing to explain, but at times I have taken this to mean that the bolt is removed, and have removed the bolt from a rifle or shotgun, then stuck it in the passenger seat while I drive to wherever I'm going. I generally don't like it, because having loose parts in a car has bad idea written all over it.

Funny how by law we have certain rights, but also by law we become crazed lunatics when we go to places of learning or get behind the wheels of multi ton killing machines.

kryptonian

an LEO friend of mine had an assault rifle in his personal vehicle all the time and kept his magazines taped together in opposite directions for tactical ease. when empty just remove and turn over. just a suggestion for carrying mags in your vehicle. keeps them together. adds extra weight when fully loaded of course.