Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Progressives say we "worship the Constitution"

  1. #1
    Regular Member Repeater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,519

    Progressives say we "worship the Constitution"

    Oh, it gets worse:

    "They are reading it like a sacred text," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.).

    "You are not supposed to worship your constitution. You are supposed to govern your government by it," he said.

    "A lot of the tea party people, I wonder how many of them have read the Constitution," he said. "A lot of them, they seem to think the Constitution is the Articles of Confederation."

    Nadler said he anticipates a raft of "idiotic amendments" from Republicans, such as an effort to allow states to nullify acts of Congress, that would blatantly violate the Constitution.
    This man judges us:


    Ugh.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    -- It is a sacred text. Not nearly as sacred as the Bible, but nothing is more sacred than the Constitution other than the Bible.

    -- Nadler is right that we should govern the government by the Constitution. So why don't he and his party follow this sage advice.

    -- Those who want the government to be limited by the Constitution tend to read it. Those who think it is antiquated tend to follow the falderal others say about what it means in today's context rather than actually read it. (Also, pay attention to the vote on reading the Constitution in Congress. Who voted for reading it? Who voted against?)

    -- How can an amendment violate the Constitution? The Constitution, including its properly passed amendments, defines constitutional. Nadler misdirected his adjective "idiotic."

  3. #3
    Regular Member KansasMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Herington, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,005
    That guy is an absolute idiot. How can we say we want the government to follow the constitution if we haven't read it? I'm quite certain he hasn't. I swore an oath to defend it and did so again less than 2 months ago. I know BY GOD I'VE read it, and understand it. He needs to get off his fat backside and read it....butthead
    Last edited by KansasMustang; 01-06-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: bad language cuz he pissed me off
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Regular Member celticredneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Amelia County, virginia
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    Oh, it gets worse:



    This man judges us:


    Ugh.
    A H*## of a lot more Tea Party members have read the Constitution than there are congressmen who actually read the health care bill!

  5. #5
    Regular Member KansasMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Herington, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by celticredneck View Post
    A H*## of a lot more Tea Party members have read the Constitution than there are congressmen who actually read the health care bill!
    A lot more Tea Party members read the Obama care bill then Congressmen too
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6
    Regular Member XDFDE45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    823
    Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    This man judges us:


    Ugh.
    Last edited by XDFDE45; 01-07-2011 at 02:50 AM.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

    Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,011
    They read part of the Constitution today to an almost empty chamber. Bohner had to leave part way through to go to a press conference. Doesn't appear much has changed.

  8. #8
    Regular Member rickc1962's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Battle Mountain, NV.
    Posts
    192
    I worship the God of the universe, and we can read about His love in His book the Bible! I took an oath to the Constitution to defend it and the U.S. against ALL enemies foreign and domestic, and I would give my life or take anothers for it, if need be. God, Guns and Guts, that's what made us great.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Mas49.56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    309
    I think Nadler worships Krispy Kreme.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Rapid City, South Dakota, USA
    Posts
    302
    I think "revere" or "venerate" would be more accurate than "worship."

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    I guess it never occurs to them that somebody better "worship" the constitution. Bloodshed is an alternative--theirs. History shows people do rise up and fight back.

    Ask Louis, Marie, and the nobility of France how it worked out for them.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    1,201
    You need to remove this. This forum, including the admins, does NOT condone violence or any allusion to violence no matter how much we disagree with someone.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead


    Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

  13. #13
    Regular Member KansasMustang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Herington, Kansas, USA
    Posts
    1,005
    Freedom is not free, it is paid for by the blood of patriots and tyrants, and needs to be renewed from time to time. It is the reason for the 2nd amendment.
    Negotiation and speeches and soothsayers have whittled away at our liberties. Hopefully the next major election will correct some of the past idiocy and we can rebuild anew. WE THE PEOPLE was written in bold on the preamble to let those that are elected representatives know who is in charge. Too many of these elected,,and many more of the "appointed" officials in this administration and congress think they have the right to run roughshod on the Constitution.
    The last election should have served to give them a wakeup call but some are too arrogant to think that the people can do nothing and that we are just sheep to be herded to do their bidding. The greatest problem is that 48% of the working population now pay no taxes, and a good portion of them get a check for up to $5700 of OUR money. This is,,to quote NObama "unsustainable". Our founding Fathers KNEW that this sort of thing could happen. It's past time to take back our government and be once again a government "Of the people, for the people and BY the people." Hopefully the next election will help speed it on it's way. If not.... Now if that's the illusion of violence than so be it
    Last edited by KansasMustang; 01-07-2011 at 08:30 AM. Reason: add on a afterthought
    ‘‘Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.’’ Thomas Jefferson

  14. #14
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    -- It is a sacred text. Not nearly as sacred as the Bible, but nothing is more sacred than the Constitution other than the Bible.

    -- Nadler is right that we should govern the government by the Constitution. So why don't he and his party follow this sage advice.

    -- Those who want the government to be limited by the Constitution tend to read it. Those who think it is antiquated tend to follow the falderal others say about what it means in today's context rather than actually read it. (Also, pay attention to the vote on reading the Constitution in Congress. Who voted for reading it? Who voted against?)

    -- How can an amendment violate the Constitution? The Constitution, including its properly passed amendments, defines constitutional. Nadler misdirected his adjective "idiotic."
    The bible? Really, a book of fiction over the Constitution. At least we know who wrote the Constitution.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  15. #15
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    You need to remove this. This forum, including the admins, does NOT condone violence or any allusion to violence no matter how much we disagree with someone.
    I understand what you are saying, Ruby.

    My point is that if nobody is following the constitution, you end up with rule of men instead of rule of law. The further it heads in that direction, the more likely criminal, despotic, tyrannical rule comes into play.

    It behooves everybody to "worship" the constitution because bloodshed as proven by history is an alternative. When the rule of law becomes rule of men, everybody is at risk.

    Although I mentioned Louis and Marie, it is by no means limited to revolution. Another historical result is senseless wars for pride or profit. Also, there are those killed by their own government. Democide, I believe is the term: Stalin's purges and mass starvation of peasants. Mao's Cultural Revolution. Pol Pot's little agricultural experiment. Rwandan Hutu's vs Tutsi's.

    Bloodshed is entirely a possibility. History shows it to have a degree of certainty, waiting only for the right circumstances come together. Rule of law helps keep a lid on this sort of thing. And, under the rule of men, there is no guarantee the bloodshed won't be the elite's.

    So, they need to be glad somebody is "worshipping" the constitution.
    Last edited by Citizen; 01-07-2011 at 05:50 PM.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Jefferson City, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    You need to remove this. This forum, including the admins, does NOT condone violence or any allusion to violence no matter how much we disagree with someone.
    I think I know what you are trying to say but if someone takes from you with force what is not theirs to take, do you not have an inherent right to fight that force with force? Isn't that a big part of why we arm ourselves and try to protect that right to do so, to protect our property, our persons and our freedoms from those that try to take them away?

    The term, violence, isn't only applied to that man coming through our daughter's window in the middle of the night in his attempt at an attack on her. Its also a means at which you may thwart that attack.

  17. #17
    Regular Member sFe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    The bible? Really, a book of fiction over the Constitution. At least we know who wrote the Constitution.
    What's so hard to believe about a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father that can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

    When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    You have to remember that this is coming from people who believe there are no "sacred texts." They worship themselves and each other, they can't concieve of any human endevor, or divine being that they didn't create. Should the Constitution be read with respect and reverance, absolutely. But these people (lefties) only believe in their freedom, not yours.
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Anywhere but here.
    Posts
    523
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasMustang View Post
    Freedom is not free, it is paid for by the blood of patriots and tyrants, and needs to be renewed from time to time. It is the reason for the 2nd amendment.
    Negotiation and speeches and soothsayers have whittled away at our liberties. Hopefully the next major election will correct some of the past idiocy and we can rebuild anew. WE THE PEOPLE was written in bold on the preamble to let those that are elected representatives know who is in charge. Too many of these elected,,and many more of the "appointed" officials in this administration and congress think they have the right to run roughshod on the Constitution.
    The last election should have served to give them a wakeup call but some are too arrogant to think that the people can do nothing and that we are just sheep to be herded to do their bidding. The greatest problem is that 48% of the working population now pay no taxes, and a good portion of them get a check for up to $5700 of OUR money. This is,,to quote NObama "unsustainable". Our founding Fathers KNEW that this sort of thing could happen. It's past time to take back our government and be once again a government "Of the people, for the people and BY the people." Hopefully the next election will help speed it on it's way. If not.... Now if that's the illusion of violence than so be it
    +1
    This site has been hijacked by leftists who attack opposition to further their own ends. Those who have never served this country and attack those who do are no longer worthy of my time or attention.

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063
    Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    What's so hard to believe about a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father that can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
    Such an insulting lack of respect is not worth reading nor replying. You may join the disrespectful person to whom you replied in Ignoreland. There is nothing wrong with presenting your POV. It doesn't matter that it is diametrically opposed to mine. It is the mocking tone that is uncivil and despicable.

    You won't find me mocking your beliefs. I expect the civility of not mocking mine to be reciprocated. Have a nice life.
    Last edited by eye95; 01-07-2011 at 07:39 PM.

  21. #21
    Regular Member sFe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Laurinburg, North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    Such an insulting lack of respect is not worth reading nor replying. You may join the disrespectful person to whom you replied in Ignoreland. There is nothing wrong with presenting your POV. It doesn't matter that it is diametrically opposed to mine. It is the mocking tone that is uncivil and despicable.

    You won't find me mocking your beliefs. I expect the civility of not mocking mine to be reciprocated. Have a nice life.

    And yet you replied.. Do you really think anyone cares that you've added them to your ignore list?

    Moving on..
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

    When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

  22. #22
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by NRAMARINE View Post
    You have to remember that this is coming from people who believe there are no "sacred texts." They worship themselves and each other, they can't concieve of any human endevor, or divine being that they didn't create. Should the Constitution be read with respect and reverance, absolutely. But these people (lefties) only believe in their freedom, not yours.
    Wow, that is a huge assumption on your part--that Democrats do not believe in God. Do you have any evidence to back up your claim?

    The Constitution is not a sacred text. "Sacred" has a religious connotation to it. I would say that the Constitution is priceless, and should be followed (whatever that means).

    What makes something "divine?" What is "freedom?" If it is easier for you, just answer one of them.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  23. #23
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338
    Let's not forget that the 2A is an implied threat of violence against politicians and the government.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  24. #24
    Regular Member Beretta92FSLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    In My Coffee
    Posts
    5,278
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Let's not forget that the 2A is an implied threat of violence against politicians and the government.
    It is not really an implied threat. It is more "if something is awry, there is a Constitutional protection to set things straight." "Implied threat" is strong wordage that gives me the sense that the person who is protected under the Constitution is making the threat; they are merely responding to the Constitution being under a perceived or actual threat.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

  25. #25
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,445
    Quote Originally Posted by sFe View Post
    And yet you replied.. Do you really think anyone cares that you've added them to your ignore list?

    Moving on..
    welcome sFe. You will find science, logic and critical thinkers on his ignore list. A great class of people.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •