• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Progressives say we "worship the Constitution"

Repeater

Oh, it gets worse:

"They are reading it like a sacred text," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.).

"You are not supposed to worship your constitution. You are supposed to govern your government by it," he said.

"A lot of the tea party people, I wonder how many of them have read the Constitution," he said. "A lot of them, they seem to think the Constitution is the Articles of Confederation."

Nadler said he anticipates a raft of "idiotic amendments" from Republicans, such as an effort to allow states to nullify acts of Congress, that would blatantly violate the Constitution.

This man judges us:
jerrold_nadler.jpg

Ugh.

eye95

-- It is a sacred text. Not nearly as sacred as the Bible, but nothing is more sacred than the Constitution other than the Bible.

-- Nadler is right that we should govern the government by the Constitution. So why don't he and his party follow this sage advice.

-- Those who want the government to be limited by the Constitution tend to read it. Those who think it is antiquated tend to follow the falderal others say about what it means in today's context rather than actually read it. (Also, pay attention to the vote on reading the Constitution in Congress. Who voted for reading it? Who voted against?)

-- How can an amendment violate the Constitution? The Constitution, including its properly passed amendments, defines constitutional. Nadler misdirected his adjective "idiotic."

KansasMustang

That guy is an absolute idiot. How can we say we want the government to follow the constitution if we haven't read it? I'm quite certain he hasn't. I swore an oath to defend it and did so again less than 2 months ago. I know BY GOD I'VE read it, and understand it. He needs to get off his fat backside and read it....butthead

Last edited:

beebobby

They read part of the Constitution today to an almost empty chamber. Bohner had to leave part way through to go to a press conference. Doesn't appear much has changed.

rickc1962

I worship the God of the universe, and we can read about His love in His book the Bible! I took an oath to the Constitution to defend it and the U.S. against ALL enemies foreign and domestic, and I would give my life or take anothers for it, if need be. God, Guns and Guts, that's what made us great.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I guess it never occurs to them that somebody better "worship" the constitution. Bloodshed is an alternative--theirs. History shows people do rise up and fight back.

Ask Louis, Marie, and the nobility of France how it worked out for them.

Last edited:

Ruby

You need to remove this. This forum, including the admins, does NOT condone violence or any allusion to violence no matter how much we disagree with someone.

KansasMustang

Freedom is not free, it is paid for by the blood of patriots and tyrants, and needs to be renewed from time to time. It is the reason for the 2nd amendment.
Negotiation and speeches and soothsayers have whittled away at our liberties. Hopefully the next major election will correct some of the past idiocy and we can rebuild anew. WE THE PEOPLE was written in bold on the preamble to let those that are elected representatives know who is in charge. Too many of these elected,,and many more of the "appointed" officials in this administration and congress think they have the right to run roughshod on the Constitution.
The last election should have served to give them a wakeup call but some are too arrogant to think that the people can do nothing and that we are just sheep to be herded to do their bidding. The greatest problem is that 48% of the working population now pay no taxes, and a good portion of them get a check for up to $5700 of OUR money. This is,,to quote NObama "unsustainable". Our founding Fathers KNEW that this sort of thing could happen. It's past time to take back our government and be once again a government "Of the people, for the people and BY the people." Hopefully the next election will help speed it on it's way. If not.... Now if that's the illusion of violence than so be it

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
-- It is a sacred text. Not nearly as sacred as the Bible, but nothing is more sacred than the Constitution other than the Bible.

-- Nadler is right that we should govern the government by the Constitution. So why don't he and his party follow this sage advice.

-- Those who want the government to be limited by the Constitution tend to read it. Those who think it is antiquated tend to follow the falderal others say about what it means in today's context rather than actually read it. (Also, pay attention to the vote on reading the Constitution in Congress. Who voted for reading it? Who voted against?)

-- How can an amendment violate the Constitution? The Constitution, including its properly passed amendments, defines constitutional. Nadler misdirected his adjective "idiotic."

The bible? Really, a book of fiction over the Constitution. At least we know who wrote the Constitution.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
You need to remove this. This forum, including the admins, does NOT condone violence or any allusion to violence no matter how much we disagree with someone.

I understand what you are saying, Ruby.

My point is that if nobody is following the constitution, you end up with rule of men instead of rule of law. The further it heads in that direction, the more likely criminal, despotic, tyrannical rule comes into play.

It behooves everybody to "worship" the constitution because bloodshed as proven by history is an alternative. When the rule of law becomes rule of men, everybody is at risk.

Although I mentioned Louis and Marie, it is by no means limited to revolution. Another historical result is senseless wars for pride or profit. Also, there are those killed by their own government. Democide, I believe is the term: Stalin's purges and mass starvation of peasants. Mao's Cultural Revolution. Pol Pot's little agricultural experiment. Rwandan Hutu's vs Tutsi's.

Bloodshed is entirely a possibility. History shows it to have a degree of certainty, waiting only for the right circumstances come together. Rule of law helps keep a lid on this sort of thing. And, under the rule of men, there is no guarantee the bloodshed won't be the elite's.

So, they need to be glad somebody is "worshipping" the constitution.

Last edited:

MK

I think I know what you are trying to say but if someone takes from you with force what is not theirs to take, do you not have an inherent right to fight that force with force? Isn't that a big part of why we arm ourselves and try to protect that right to do so, to protect our property, our persons and our freedoms from those that try to take them away?

The term, violence, isn't only applied to that man coming through our daughter's window in the middle of the night in his attempt at an attack on her. Its also a means at which you may thwart that attack.

sFe

The bible? Really, a book of fiction over the Constitution. At least we know who wrote the Constitution.

What's so hard to believe about a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father that can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

NRAMARINE

You have to remember that this is coming from people who believe there are no "sacred texts." They worship themselves and each other, they can't concieve of any human endevor, or divine being that they didn't create. Should the Constitution be read with respect and reverance, absolutely. But these people (lefties) only believe in their freedom, not yours.

NRAMARINE

Freedom is not free, it is paid for by the blood of patriots and tyrants, and needs to be renewed from time to time. It is the reason for the 2nd amendment.
Negotiation and speeches and soothsayers have whittled away at our liberties. Hopefully the next major election will correct some of the past idiocy and we can rebuild anew. WE THE PEOPLE was written in bold on the preamble to let those that are elected representatives know who is in charge. Too many of these elected,,and many more of the "appointed" officials in this administration and congress think they have the right to run roughshod on the Constitution.
The last election should have served to give them a wakeup call but some are too arrogant to think that the people can do nothing and that we are just sheep to be herded to do their bidding. The greatest problem is that 48% of the working population now pay no taxes, and a good portion of them get a check for up to $5700 of OUR money. This is,,to quote NObama "unsustainable". Our founding Fathers KNEW that this sort of thing could happen. It's past time to take back our government and be once again a government "Of the people, for the people and BY the people." Hopefully the next election will help speed it on it's way. If not.... Now if that's the illusion of violence than so be it

+1

eye95

What's so hard to believe about a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father that can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Such an insulting lack of respect is not worth reading nor replying. You may join the disrespectful person to whom you replied in Ignoreland. There is nothing wrong with presenting your POV. It doesn't matter that it is diametrically opposed to mine. It is the mocking tone that is uncivil and despicable.

You won't find me mocking your beliefs. I expect the civility of not mocking mine to be reciprocated. Have a nice life.

Last edited: