• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First carry in Town of Neenah tonight.

Zeus

Just got done working out and have to go to the store. I think I will bring my SIG with me, it's late, it's dark and just feels like I need to start practicing what I preach. It will be my first open carry in Neenah Wal-Mart. Wish me luck. Hope It's uneventful. Pretty sad when you have to contemplate using your own right to protect yourself. I bet the criminals never sit around and go, I think I might take my gun with me tonight.

theoicarry

It is hard the first couple of times as we are not programmed to do this. All will go well for you. We need to do this to build self confidence. Remember practice, one needs to practice shootings skills and carry. One day you may need to protect yourself.

Zeus

Well, no harm, no foul. I did my shopping and I didn't really notice anyone caring, a few might have taken a second look but no one said anything including the lady who worked there, that I asked about where a product was located. I think most people would assume I am a cop possibly, by my clothing, haircut(still a high and tight since 1991) and general appearance. Oh, and the best part is they have the Cap'n Crunch All Berries in stock again. Mmmmmm :) Thanks for the support folks. I would have to chalk it up as a positive tonight.

apierce918

FYI - this is what the chief of police in neenah thinks

When i first moved to WI from michigan, i lived in neenah and asked a few questions... this was the response i received:

Good day Mr. Pierce

I understand your confusion with different state having different laws. At the same time, we find that having some "home rule" has been very appropriate. If I were the chief in Milwaukee, Madison, Minneapolis or Detroit, or in contrast the far north woods or the UP, I would have a very different take on armed citizens than I do in Neenah.

First off, to start to answer your question, we not only have to look at the criminal statutes in Wisconsin (the criminal code), but also the DNR code. The DNR code requires that to carry a firearm in a vehicle it must
be unloaded and cased. You are right about the "Disorderly Conduct"
statutes being used for situations where someone goes armed openly. Part of the reason is the diverse demographics in Wisconsin. For example, it is common and expected that during the early fall many people will be carrying guns in the northern part of the state because of the hunting season. It is extremely unusual for someone to walk downtown Neenah with a firearm exposed. I guarantee it would get a law enforcement response.

The Fox River Valley is one of the top safest areas in the nation. I fact in my 30 years in law enforcement in the valley I cannot point to one situation where use or threat of an openly carried firearm would have been an appropriate response to a criminal act. Because of that, someone in public carrying a firearm would be extremely disturbing to most residents.
In fact, with only an occasional exception and under specific circumstances, our officers do not go armed off duty, even though law allows for it. (I say this to emphasize the safeness of our community. Our officers are some of the most tactical and survival trained in the state.) Personally I am a firearms instructor, a former SWAT officer a defensive tactics instructor and teach personal safety and I do not keep any firearms
in my home. I even keep my hunting rifle at work. I'm obviously not
anti-firearm but I believe in statistics and the chances of someone being injured or killed in my house because of an accessible firearm is hundreds of times (or more) greater than the chance I would need to use or threaten to use deadly force to protect myself or my family.

To answer your question directly, until Wisconsin offers a method of concealed carry, I strongly recommend against carrying an open firearm.
Whether or not we would take enforcement action and what action that is would depend on the situation. For example, if someone walked into a bank with a mask on and a shotgun at port arms, I think we would take enforcement action. If a farmer is out in his field with a shotgun tied to his ATV, obviously we would not. Those being two extremes, you can see there could be a lot of grey area in between.

The problem with saying "allowing 'law abiding' citizens to carry" is to define "law abiding." If we could identify people that you and I would consider law abiding citizens I might have a very different view. But I have to assure that everyone in our community is treated equally. Consider that we occasionally have gang members in the area who have never been convicted of a crime. Are they "law abiding citizens?" I would not want then walking into stores downtown with a firearm and I don't think you would either. In Wisconsin that has been the biggest hold-up on a concealed carry law, defining who is appropriate to allow a concealed carry, i.e. who is "law abiding."

I'm guessing I'm not telling you what you want to hear, but I am describing the reality of the environment in the valley. I hope this gives you some insight. Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any other questions.

Ray Appel

Raymond W. Appel
Chief of Police
Neenah Police Department
2111 Marathon Avenue
Neenah, WI 54956-4771
Ph: (920) 886-6013
Fax: (920) 886-6054
Admin Fax 886-6055

TOGETHER, WE SUCCEED!

I had a problem with him not understanding "law-abiding" but i held my tongue

Last edited:

AaronS

Well, no harm, no foul. I did my shopping and I didn't really notice anyone caring, a few might have taken a second look but no one said anything including the lady who worked there, that I asked about where a product was located. I think most people would assume I am a cop possibly, by my clothing, haircut(still a high and tight since 1991) and general appearance. Oh, and the best part is they have the Cap'n Crunch All Berries in stock again. Mmmmmm :) Thanks for the support folks. I would have to chalk it up as a positive tonight.

I miss that "first time feeling". Good job.

XDFDE45

Good for you
eusa_clap.gif

Zeus

Wow, little did I know my decision to go to Wal-Mart instead of Pic N Save was probably a good one, being that it got robbed about 2 hrs before I left the house and was closed due to a bomb threat in the building! http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/news/local/fox_cities/neenah-pick-n-save-evacuated I wonder what the old police chief has to say about our safe little town now. I think that guy has retired anyway, I looked it up and he's not listed as chief on their web page. How crazy would that have been to be my first time out and the frickin place gets robbed! LOL. Now I really feel better about my 357 SIG on my side. World is getting crazier everyday.