• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Ashland sell of firearms Ordinance

KYGlockster

Activist Member
130.17 REPORT OF ALL FIREARMS SOLD AT RETAIL.
(A) All persons, firms, and corporations engaged in the business of selling firearms at retail within the city shall daily, not later than 12:00 noon, make and furnish to the Chief of Police, in writing, a true and correct report of all firearms sold at retail by the person, firm, or corporation during the 24 hours next preceding each such report. The report shall include the name, age, sex, and address of each purchaser and shall describe in detail each weapon sold, including the type, manufacturer, caliber, and serial number. For the purposes of this report any weapon designed to propel a pellet, bullet, slug, or other hard substance by gun powder, compressed air, or any explosive chemical shall be deemed to be a firearm.

(B) All fines, forfeitures, and court costs, except court costs taxed for the use and benefit of the Boyd County Law Library, shall be paid into the general fund of the city and used to defray the expense of city government.

('83 Code, § 130.17) (Ord. 2-1966, passed 1-10-66) Penalty, see

This is a city of ashland ordinance. I am pretty sure that it violates KRS 65.870. This ordinance was established in 1966. Dont we need to get this ordinance removed if its against state law?

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I agree

The city manager is still steve corbitt, however i do believe several of the commisioner seats changed up, I was going to call myself as well, maybe it would be good to let the new ones know us gun owners are on top of these things.

mem1977

This sounds like Ashland bull as usual. I'm glad I don't live there. This sound likes Nazi garbage to me. Trying to find out all gun owners names and addresses so they can bully them. I just hope the city will do what is right and put this ordinance where it belongs. In the trash.

:banghead:

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I contacted the city

I contacted all 4 commisioners, mayor, city manager and legal advisor. I got a reply from the mayor kevin gunderson, check out how worried he sounds about the matter

Hi Brandon:

I'll forward this to the legal dept.

Regards,
Kevin Gunderson

If i do not receive a response in about a week, I plan on getting back in touch, I want to hear this on discussion at the next city council meeting. They dont allow us to violate the law, we dont need to let them! Everyone should check their city and county ordinances and make sure they comply>>...Have you contacted them again gutshot??

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I didnt know that the mayor was shot in the line of duty. I do know he is not in a wheelchair, I saw him at the last city council meeting and he was up and able. I did know he was a retired chief of police for the city and against gun rights. He is in the wrong state for that though, this is a very gun friendly state and he needs to comply with all laws. Thanks for your help on everything though.

Undertaker

Ashland City Government

Mayor - Tom Kelley is a retired Ashland City Police Chief.
Commissioners - Kevin Gunderson, is a former Ashland City Police Officer who was shot in the line of duty. He is wheelchair bound. Larry Brown, Marty Gute, and Tom Cantrell are the other 3.
Richard 'Sonny' Martin is the city attorney,

KYGlockster

Activist Member
OK

I had them confused, I seen a pic on the ashland website, and I guess they have the names wrong on it. My mistake. Well he is the only one taht has responded so far

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I finally heard back from richard martin, city attorney, he said they are examining the ordinance in question to determine if it is against state law. Which it is, so even if it isnt being enforced, hopefully it will be removed soon.