Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maternity Carry

Maternity Carry

I'm fairly new around here at OCDO, but I've been carrying (a 75/25% mixture of open and concealed, depending on circumstances) for the past couple of years. My wife has always shown interest in firearms (even attending the 2nd Amendment March with me, open holster), but hasn't shown much interest in carrying until recently (when we discovered someone had been prowling around our back yard, leaving our gate open and letting our dog get out). She has now shown interest in carrying for personal protection.

The catch is that she is currently 8 months pregnant with our first (a boy!), and we haven't been able to find many good resources on carry options for her, especially options that would allow for open carry if she should desire it. Anything on a belt won't work, because maternity clothes don't let you wear belts (especially not ones that can support the weight of a gun). Ankle carry won't work, because she can't really bend over. When it comes to open carry, it seems like a shoulder holster is the only viable option (if she isn't wearing a coat). Adding concealed carry the only other options would seem to be pocket or purse carry.

Sure, she won't be pregnant for that much longer, but we also don't plan for our son to be an only child. We would really like to find an option (or set of options) that she can use on an ongoing basis, whether she's pregnant or not. (I should also add that she's a very good shot. For our first date, she asked me to take her shooting, and she outshot me with my own 1911 the first time she'd ever picked up a handgun. I promise, I will never make her mad, at least not if I hope to survive it.)

Any suggestions?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn View Post
    I'm fairly new around here at OCDO, but I've been carrying (a 75/25% mixture of open and concealed, depending on circumstances) for the past couple of years. My wife has always shown interest in firearms (even attending the 2nd Amendment March with me, open holster), but hasn't shown much interest in carrying until recently (when we discovered someone had been prowling around our back yard, leaving our gate open and letting our dog get out). She has now shown interest in carrying for personal protection.

The catch is that she is currently 8 months pregnant with our first (a boy!), and we haven't been able to find many good resources on carry options for her, especially options that would allow for open carry if she should desire it. Anything on a belt won't work, because maternity clothes don't let you wear belts (especially not ones that can support the weight of a gun). Ankle carry won't work, because she can't really bend over. When it comes to open carry, it seems like a shoulder holster is the only viable option (if she isn't wearing a coat). Adding concealed carry the only other options would seem to be pocket or purse carry.

Sure, she won't be pregnant for that much longer, but we also don't plan for our son to be an only child. We would really like to find an option (or set of options) that she can use on an ongoing basis, whether she's pregnant or not. (I should also add that she's a very good shot. For our first date, she asked me to take her shooting, and she outshot me with my own 1911 the first time she'd ever picked up a handgun. I promise, I will never make her mad, at least not if I hope to survive it.)

Any suggestions?
    Sorry, that's way beyond my field of expertise
    BUT...

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I would say that a shoulder holster or some type of "off the body" carry (purse, diaper bag) may be her only options right now. After delivery she can start thinking about some traditional types of carry. You may also want to consider some type of intermediate weapon for her, like pepper spray (we will be offering a pepper spray class in February, FYI).

Since she'll be spending some considerable time at home more than likely, she should have something available to her in the home that is accessible and that she is comfortable with. Remember also that it is not suggested for pregnant woman to target shoot regulary due to possible lead ingestion.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Hmmm..Tess? Rianna? How bout it ladies? Any ideas? This is a sexist question that I am unqualified to answer!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Sorry, that's way beyond my field of expertise
    What can I say? I'm a trouble maker. If I asked the easy questions, then where's the challenge?

Oh, and congratulations and welcome to the board.

E.E. Smith reference? I'm a bit young for the originals. Great stuff, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    E.E. Smith reference? I'm a bit young for the originals. Great stuff, tho.
    Congrats! You are actually the first person (outside my family) to have ever gotten that on the first try. The usual thought is "Girly Man" instead of "Gray Lensman".

You can't beat the original space operas.

Be proud, and go tacticool, with a thigh holster. They are adjustable, and can be worn whether with child, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dawg View Post
    Be proud, and go tacticool, with a thigh holster. They are adjustable, and can be worn whether with child, or not.
    Most of the thigh holsters I've seen need to attach to a belt to support the weight. Do you have any recommendations of ones that don't?

Smile

Congrats! You are actually the first person (outside my family) to have ever gotten that on the first try. The usual thought is "Girly Man" instead of "Gray Lensman".

You can't beat the original space operas.
    Heinlein fan.

Belly Band Holster?

The belly band holsters may be an option. Pros: expandable, velcro fastening. Cons: seems to sag with larger handguns. Might work well for small size handguns.

Good luck and congrats on the baby.

Galco Thigh Band Holster is one option. Works best with smaller guns. Like others stated, might be best to leave the carrying to you, and have a few strategically placed around the home. And the bag option. It's tough, one I never thought of myself.

Founder's Club Member
    Welcome to the forum! If you get a chance ask your wife to drop by too and we'll welcome her as well!

I might have suggested the belly band or a thigh rig, but either of those have the potential to cause discomfort at the belly. A specialized purse with a holster and a large, well stiched strap may be the best option for carrying since the strap could be kept on the opposite shoulder with the purse riding at hip level. Although this may preclude OC (unless you get a holster on the outside somehow) it would at least give her some method of carry.

**Galco Gunleather makes some purses that could be an option for your wife, but they aren't cheap, but they appear to be well made from good leather. If you know a leather maker in your area it might be worthwhile to talk with them about getting a customized purse since you indicate this is not likely to be your wife's only pregnancy. As a result even if you spend a fair chunk of change now, it may be worth it over the long haul so your wife has something that is durable over the years.
    Last edited by jmelvin; 01-06-2011 at 11:03 AM.

For CC there is this www.kangaroocarry.com if you want to have something you can use under just about anything. www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com has some nice vests - some of them can almost double as a wearable diaper bag/kiddie carrier. Depending on the size/weight of her carry piece there are lots of sellers of inexpensive (not all are cheap, if you understand the difference) nylon or leather holsters with reversible spring clips that can work both IWB and OWB unless her pants start getting dragged down. Maybe a Doc Holliday rig? http://www.gunblast.com/Dillon_Holliday.htm And, yes, I chose that link because of the body build!

Also, if she wears medium to large purses that use a strap that goes across the shoulder there are good pouches she can attach for use as a holster. Or will she go for something like the Maxpedition Jumbo as her diaper bag? That has both CC & OC options galore.

Guys, it's not about not having the rest of the chromosone. It's about thinking and experience helping folks solve problems.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    For CC there is this www.kangaroocarry.com if you want to have something you can use under just about anything. www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com has some nice vests - some of them can almost double as a wearable diaper bag/kiddie carrier. Depending on the size/weight of her carry piece there are lots of sellers of inexpensive (not all are cheap, if you understand the difference) nylon or leather holsters with reversible spring clips that can work both IWB and OWB unless her pants start getting dragged down. Maybe a Doc Holliday rig? http://www.gunblast.com/Dillon_Holliday.htm And, yes, I chose that link because of the body build!

Also, if she wears medium to large purses that use a strap that goes across the shoulder there are good pouches she can attach for use as a holster. Or will she go for something like the Maxpedition Jumbo as her diaper bag? That has both CC & OC options galore.

Guys, it's not about not having the rest of the chromosone. It's about thinking and experience helping folks solve problems.
    Well-Put, Brother Skid!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

My wife is in the same boat 5 months. She has a hard enough time finding clothes that fit yet alone a holster. Her dr advised against the range right now due to the noise and fumes so i have to go alone.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    Let me state up front I'm a heavy-set (read: fat) woman who's built as if I were 8 months pregnant all the time -- the fattest part of me is my belly.

A belly band is out. Unless you have a straight or inwardly contoured torso, they roll -- even the 8" ones.

With my dress pants, the ones I wear to work, with no belt, I often carry a lightweight .357 revolver in a pocket holster. Mine is the Charter Arms Undercover Lite, but there are many lightweight models. In the pocket, it does not pull the pants down.

A shoulder holster is another good option. Galco makes an all-leather one where the firearm points downward instead of to the rear, but it may be hard to find. I have a Galco suede holster for my .380, and it's quite comfortable to wear all day.

A leather case in a diaper bag is a good idea. Once baby is born, you'll not go much of anywhere without the bag.

I don't think there are many other good options for on-body carry.

Quote Originally Posted by grylnsmn
    (I should also add that she's a very good shot. For our first date, she asked me to take her shooting, and she outshot me with my own 1911 the first time she'd ever picked up a handgun. I promise, I will never make her mad, at least not if I hope to survive it.)

Any suggestions?
    That's an easy one: don't make her mad.

I'd say a shoulder holster or purse / diaper bag are probably the best options for the near future & when she's round again.

it's not about not having the rest of the chromosone
    LOL! You're the first man I've ever known to admit that you're missing part of a chromosome!
    (The Y - male - chromosome looks like an X - female - chromosome with a leg missing.)
    Last edited by MKEgal; 01-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tess View Post
    Let me state up front I'm a heavy-set (read: fat) woman who's built as if I were 8 months pregnant all the time -- the fattest part of me is my belly.

A belly band is out. Unless you have a straight or inwardly contoured torso, they roll -- even the 8" ones.

With my dress pants, the ones I wear to work, with no belt, I often carry a lightweight .357 revolver in a pocket holster. Mine is the Charter Arms Undercover Lite, but there are many lightweight models. In the pocket, it does not pull the pants down.

A shoulder holster is another good option. Galco makes an all-leather one where the firearm points downward instead of to the rear, but it may be hard to find. I have a Galco suede holster for my .380, and it's quite comfortable to wear all day.

A leather case in a diaper bag is a good idea. Once baby is born, you'll not go much of anywhere without the bag.

I don't think there are many other good options for on-body carry.
    This is especially helpful.

Right now, we are primarily looking at some of the ultracompact .380 ACP or 9mm semiautos or compact .38 Special revolvers, so whichever one she chooses could be used for pocket, purse, or diaper bag carry. (Any specific recommendations, especially on a budget?)

Since she is more than capable of handling a .45, once she returns to a size where she can wear a belt comfortably, we may set her up with one of my 1911s (I'd probably let her take the Officer model one, and switch back to carrying my Government model) with a holster that would fit her comfortably.

We really want her to be set up for both open and concealed carry. Full time open carry would be nice, but is probably not realistic considering the challenges of carry while pregnant, and the anti-firearms attitudes of many places that provide infant-related services. While I don't mind taking a more activist stance, she'd rather not push things too much, especially when she'd plan to have our son along.
    Alma 43:47 - "And again, the Lord has said that: Ye shall defend your families even unto bloodshed...."
    Self defense isn't just a good idea, it's a commandment.

Congratulations and welcome. Off body carry may be the best option for now. Although the kangaroo carry may be an option. Good luck

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat10k View Post
    Hmmm..Tess? Rianna? How bout it ladies? Any ideas? This is a sexist question that I am unqualified to answer!
    Michelle carried while she was pregnant. She was also part of this story:
    http://netnemesis.org/misc/UK%20Mari...%20Cordani.pdf
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

"grylnsmn",

Welcome to OCDO, and congratulations to you and your wife!

It seems that some other members have already given you some good answers, and since this is a carry configuration tha tI've never even thought about, I'll defer to the judgement of others...

However, I would suggest that you point your wife toward the "Cornered Cat" website. It is perhaps the BEST female-centered RKBA/Self Defense site on the Internet. It is chock full of GREAT articles, and even if they don't address this specific issue (pregnant carry) I imagine if you send them an email, they will respond with some very useful advice:

http://corneredcat.com/
    Last edited by Dreamer; 01-07-2011 at 12:55 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Never been pregnant myself, although some days it may look it! I would look at Pistolwear.com. I have a PT-One and have used it on many occasions. It will keep a mid size pistol fairly stable. Its not the perfect solution all the time but its the perfect solution when nothing else works!

I got one from a Harley dealer in Florida...

it was a holster that had velcro hooks all onver the back..you could sew a patch of velcro loops on ANYTHING and just slap this holster on it. you could do a t-shirt, the inside of a coat...anything.

I'll see if I can find the name of it when I get home.
    I sell ObamaBlades: Single-edged razors you can use to either remove the bumper sticker off your car, or slash your wrists..whichever works best for you.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA
    This is especially helpful.

Right now, we are primarily looking at some of the ultracompact .380 ACP or 9mm semiautos or compact .38 Special revolvers, so whichever one she chooses could be used for pocket, purse, or diaper bag carry. (Any specific recommendations, especially on a budget?)

Since she is more than capable of handling a .45, once she returns to a size where she can wear a belt comfortably, we may set her up with one of my 1911s (I'd probably let her take the Officer model one, and switch back to carrying my Government model) with a holster that would fit her comfortably.

We really want her to be set up for both open and concealed carry. Full time open carry would be nice, but is probably not realistic considering the challenges of carry while pregnant, and the anti-firearms attitudes of many places that provide infant-related services. While I don't mind taking a more activist stance, she'd rather not push things too much, especially when she'd plan to have our son along.
    I'm not among those who thinks the caliber has to start with a 4 -- though I certainly appreciate the stopping power of the larger calibers. And I appreciate that a larger caliber or more powerful round could be helpful. If it were me, I would recommend one of the small J-frame revolvers. Only 5 or 6 shots, but they'll shoot .38 and .357 (and mine will also shoot +P or +P+). They're lightweight and easy to reach for. Trust me, a diaper bag gets heavy after a year or two (or a week or two--YMMV!) There are lots available, and most seem to me to be different only in color. They seem better than a .380 to me.

Harper1227 carried while she was pregnant; that's when I first met her, in fact. For the life of me, I can't remember what she carries, though.

If your wife wants to start concealed, that would strengthen my recommendation of the J-frame because it's lightweight and concealable anywhere.

Good luck. You know your life is about to change in thousands of ways -- most of them good, even <grin>.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast