• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maternity Carry

grylnsmn

I'm fairly new around here at OCDO, but I've been carrying (a 75/25% mixture of open and concealed, depending on circumstances) for the past couple of years. My wife has always shown interest in firearms (even attending the 2nd Amendment March with me, open holster), but hasn't shown much interest in carrying until recently (when we discovered someone had been prowling around our back yard, leaving our gate open and letting our dog get out). She has now shown interest in carrying for personal protection.

The catch is that she is currently 8 months pregnant with our first (a boy!), and we haven't been able to find many good resources on carry options for her, especially options that would allow for open carry if she should desire it. Anything on a belt won't work, because maternity clothes don't let you wear belts (especially not ones that can support the weight of a gun). Ankle carry won't work, because she can't really bend over. When it comes to open carry, it seems like a shoulder holster is the only viable option (if she isn't wearing a coat). Adding concealed carry the only other options would seem to be pocket or purse carry.

Sure, she won't be pregnant for that much longer, but we also don't plan for our son to be an only child. We would really like to find an option (or set of options) that she can use on an ongoing basis, whether she's pregnant or not. (I should also add that she's a very good shot. For our first date, she asked me to take her shooting, and she outshot me with my own 1911 the first time she'd ever picked up a handgun. I promise, I will never make her mad, at least not if I hope to survive it.)

Any suggestions?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'm fairly new around here at OCDO, but I've been carrying (a 75/25% mixture of open and concealed, depending on circumstances) for the past couple of years. My wife has always shown interest in firearms (even attending the 2nd Amendment March with me, open holster), but hasn't shown much interest in carrying until recently (when we discovered someone had been prowling around our back yard, leaving our gate open and letting our dog get out). She has now shown interest in carrying for personal protection.

The catch is that she is currently 8 months pregnant with our first (a boy!), and we haven't been able to find many good resources on carry options for her, especially options that would allow for open carry if she should desire it. Anything on a belt won't work, because maternity clothes don't let you wear belts (especially not ones that can support the weight of a gun). Ankle carry won't work, because she can't really bend over. When it comes to open carry, it seems like a shoulder holster is the only viable option (if she isn't wearing a coat). Adding concealed carry the only other options would seem to be pocket or purse carry.

Sure, she won't be pregnant for that much longer, but we also don't plan for our son to be an only child. We would really like to find an option (or set of options) that she can use on an ongoing basis, whether she's pregnant or not. (I should also add that she's a very good shot. For our first date, she asked me to take her shooting, and she outshot me with my own 1911 the first time she'd ever picked up a handgun. I promise, I will never make her mad, at least not if I hope to survive it.)

Any suggestions?

Sorry, that's way beyond my field of expertise:lol:
BUT...

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I would say that a shoulder holster or some type of "off the body" carry (purse, diaper bag) may be her only options right now. After delivery she can start thinking about some traditional types of carry. You may also want to consider some type of intermediate weapon for her, like pepper spray (we will be offering a pepper spray class in February, FYI).

Since she'll be spending some considerable time at home more than likely, she should have something available to her in the home that is accessible and that she is comfortable with. Remember also that it is not suggested for pregnant woman to target shoot regulary due to possible lead ingestion.

grylnsmn

E.E. Smith reference? I'm a bit young for the originals. Great stuff, tho.

Congrats! You are actually the first person (outside my family) to have ever gotten that on the first try. :banana: :banana: :banana: The usual thought is "Girly Man" instead of "Gray Lensman".

You can't beat the original space operas.

grylnsmn

Be proud, and go tacticool, with a thigh holster. They are adjustable, and can be worn whether with child, or not.
Most of the thigh holsters I've seen need to attach to a belt to support the weight. Do you have any recommendations of ones that don't?

TraumaRN

Belly Band Holster?

The belly band holsters may be an option. Pros: expandable, velcro fastening. Cons: seems to sag with larger handguns. Might work well for small size handguns.

Good luck and congrats on the baby.

Red Dawg

Galco Thigh Band Holster is one option. Works best with smaller guns. Like others stated, might be best to leave the carrying to you, and have a few strategically placed around the home. And the bag option. It's tough, one I never thought of myself.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to the forum! If you get a chance ask your wife to drop by too and we'll welcome her as well!

I might have suggested the belly band or a thigh rig, but either of those have the potential to cause discomfort at the belly. A specialized purse with a holster and a large, well stiched strap may be the best option for carrying since the strap could be kept on the opposite shoulder with the purse riding at hip level. Although this may preclude OC (unless you get a holster on the outside somehow) it would at least give her some method of carry.

**Galco Gunleather makes some purses that could be an option for your wife, but they aren't cheap, but they appear to be well made from good leather. If you know a leather maker in your area it might be worthwhile to talk with them about getting a customized purse since you indicate this is not likely to be your wife's only pregnancy. As a result even if you spend a fair chunk of change now, it may be worth it over the long haul so your wife has something that is durable over the years.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
For CC there is this www.kangaroocarry.com if you want to have something you can use under just about anything. www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com has some nice vests - some of them can almost double as a wearable diaper bag/kiddie carrier. Depending on the size/weight of her carry piece there are lots of sellers of inexpensive (not all are cheap, if you understand the difference) nylon or leather holsters with reversible spring clips that can work both IWB and OWB unless her pants start getting dragged down. Maybe a Doc Holliday rig? http://www.gunblast.com/Dillon_Holliday.htm And, yes, I chose that link because of the body build! :)

Also, if she wears medium to large purses that use a strap that goes across the shoulder there are good pouches she can attach for use as a holster. Or will she go for something like the Maxpedition Jumbo as her diaper bag? That has both CC & OC options galore.

Guys, it's not about not having the rest of the chromosone. It's about thinking and experience helping folks solve problems.

MSC 45ACP

For CC there is this www.kangaroocarry.com if you want to have something you can use under just about anything. www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com has some nice vests - some of them can almost double as a wearable diaper bag/kiddie carrier. Depending on the size/weight of her carry piece there are lots of sellers of inexpensive (not all are cheap, if you understand the difference) nylon or leather holsters with reversible spring clips that can work both IWB and OWB unless her pants start getting dragged down. Maybe a Doc Holliday rig? http://www.gunblast.com/Dillon_Holliday.htm And, yes, I chose that link because of the body build! :)

Also, if she wears medium to large purses that use a strap that goes across the shoulder there are good pouches she can attach for use as a holster. Or will she go for something like the Maxpedition Jumbo as her diaper bag? That has both CC & OC options galore.

Guys, it's not about not having the rest of the chromosone. It's about thinking and experience helping folks solve problems.

Well-Put, Brother Skid!

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Let me state up front I'm a heavy-set (read: fat) woman who's built as if I were 8 months pregnant all the time -- the fattest part of me is my belly.

A belly band is out. Unless you have a straight or inwardly contoured torso, they roll -- even the 8" ones.

With my dress pants, the ones I wear to work, with no belt, I often carry a lightweight .357 revolver in a pocket holster. Mine is the Charter Arms Undercover Lite, but there are many lightweight models. In the pocket, it does not pull the pants down.

A shoulder holster is another good option. Galco makes an all-leather one where the firearm points downward instead of to the rear, but it may be hard to find. I have a Galco suede holster for my .380, and it's quite comfortable to wear all day.

A leather case in a diaper bag is a good idea. Once baby is born, you'll not go much of anywhere without the bag.

I don't think there are many other good options for on-body carry.

MKEgal

grylnsmn said:
(I should also add that she's a very good shot. For our first date, she asked me to take her shooting, and she outshot me with my own 1911 the first time she'd ever picked up a handgun. I promise, I will never make her mad, at least not if I hope to survive it.)

Any suggestions?

That's an easy one: don't make her mad. ;)

I'd say a shoulder holster or purse / diaper bag are probably the best options for the near future & when she's round again.

it's not about not having the rest of the chromosone
LOL! You're the first man I've ever known to admit that you're missing part of a chromosome!
(The Y - male - chromosome looks like an X - female - chromosome with a leg missing.)

Last edited:

grylnsmn

Let me state up front I'm a heavy-set (read: fat) woman who's built as if I were 8 months pregnant all the time -- the fattest part of me is my belly.

A belly band is out. Unless you have a straight or inwardly contoured torso, they roll -- even the 8" ones.

With my dress pants, the ones I wear to work, with no belt, I often carry a lightweight .357 revolver in a pocket holster. Mine is the Charter Arms Undercover Lite, but there are many lightweight models. In the pocket, it does not pull the pants down.

A shoulder holster is another good option. Galco makes an all-leather one where the firearm points downward instead of to the rear, but it may be hard to find. I have a Galco suede holster for my .380, and it's quite comfortable to wear all day.

A leather case in a diaper bag is a good idea. Once baby is born, you'll not go much of anywhere without the bag.

I don't think there are many other good options for on-body carry.
This is especially helpful.

Right now, we are primarily looking at some of the ultracompact .380 ACP or 9mm semiautos or compact .38 Special revolvers, so whichever one she chooses could be used for pocket, purse, or diaper bag carry. (Any specific recommendations, especially on a budget?)

Since she is more than capable of handling a .45, once she returns to a size where she can wear a belt comfortably, we may set her up with one of my 1911s (I'd probably let her take the Officer model one, and switch back to carrying my Government model) with a holster that would fit her comfortably.

We really want her to be set up for both open and concealed carry. Full time open carry would be nice, but is probably not realistic considering the challenges of carry while pregnant, and the anti-firearms attitudes of many places that provide infant-related services. While I don't mind taking a more activist stance, she'd rather not push things too much, especially when she'd plan to have our son along.