• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maternity Carry

Dreamer

"grylnsmn",

Welcome to OCDO, and congratulations to you and your wife!

It seems that some other members have already given you some good answers, and since this is a carry configuration tha tI've never even thought about, I'll defer to the judgement of others... :rolleyes:

However, I would suggest that you point your wife toward the "Cornered Cat" website. It is perhaps the BEST female-centered RKBA/Self Defense site on the Internet. It is chock full of GREAT articles, and even if they don't address this specific issue (pregnant carry) I imagine if you send them an email, they will respond with some very useful advice:

http://corneredcat.com/

Last edited:

GrayGhost

Never been pregnant myself, although some days it may look it! I would look at Pistolwear.com. I have a PT-One and have used it on many occasions. It will keep a mid size pistol fairly stable. Its not the perfect solution all the time but its the perfect solution when nothing else works!

vt800c

I got one from a Harley dealer in Florida...

it was a holster that had velcro hooks all onver the back..you could sew a patch of velcro loops on ANYTHING and just slap this holster on it. you could do a t-shirt, the inside of a coat...anything.

I'll see if I can find the name of it when I get home.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
This is especially helpful.

Right now, we are primarily looking at some of the ultracompact .380 ACP or 9mm semiautos or compact .38 Special revolvers, so whichever one she chooses could be used for pocket, purse, or diaper bag carry. (Any specific recommendations, especially on a budget?)

Since she is more than capable of handling a .45, once she returns to a size where she can wear a belt comfortably, we may set her up with one of my 1911s (I'd probably let her take the Officer model one, and switch back to carrying my Government model) with a holster that would fit her comfortably.

We really want her to be set up for both open and concealed carry. Full time open carry would be nice, but is probably not realistic considering the challenges of carry while pregnant, and the anti-firearms attitudes of many places that provide infant-related services. While I don't mind taking a more activist stance, she'd rather not push things too much, especially when she'd plan to have our son along.

I'm not among those who thinks the caliber has to start with a 4 -- though I certainly appreciate the stopping power of the larger calibers. And I appreciate that a larger caliber or more powerful round could be helpful. If it were me, I would recommend one of the small J-frame revolvers. Only 5 or 6 shots, but they'll shoot .38 and .357 (and mine will also shoot +P or +P+). They're lightweight and easy to reach for. Trust me, a diaper bag gets heavy after a year or two (or a week or two--YMMV!) There are lots available, and most seem to me to be different only in color. They seem better than a .380 to me.

Harper1227 carried while she was pregnant; that's when I first met her, in fact. For the life of me, I can't remember what she carries, though.

If your wife wants to start concealed, that would strengthen my recommendation of the J-frame because it's lightweight and concealable anywhere.

Good luck. You know your life is about to change in thousands of ways -- most of them good, even <grin>.

Marco

Welcome to the board.

I've been dealing with issue for the past 2.5 yrs with my wife and a friends wife.
Some good suggestions from others.
What I learned was anything snug around the waist or torso was too uncomfortable, rubbed or applied unwanted pressure.

What I found to work:
The gun had to be small & light weight
shoulder bag or purse
jacket/vest pocket carry with something to offest the other side, spare ammo, flashlight or less than lethal opinions
BRA carry, a smal flat light weight gun (thinks LCP/Keltec)
and
this www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm with the butt down for a light weight firearm, my wife carried a Ruger LCR.

If all else fails try a NAA mini revolver in .22, they can be tucked almost anywhere and it weighs little to nothing.

Hope that helps.
I don't have a dog in this fight.

Hope to see you at Lobby day.
Good luck with the NEW baby and if you need a stroller I think we have an extra one.

~Marco

Last edited:

Harper1227

Pregnant carry

Michelle carried while she was pregnant. She was also part of this story:
http://netnemesis.org/misc/UK Marie Claire July 2010 - Girls With Guns by Andreina Cordani.pdf

Im a little late on this but Yes, i carried the entire time I was pregnant. I happened to have a couple pairs of old pants that were large enough to fit my big prego belly. They may not have been as cute as maternity clothes but i could use a belt and a holster. Remember, guns are meant to be comforting, not comfortable. :)

good luck and congrats!