• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pt 845 ss

j4l

For the past few months I've been trying out/evaluating a number of different pistols/revolvers for potential CCW/OC/Home use. My primary concern has been for a sidearm for home/around the home use to backup and/or supplement my shogtun (870 /.12), since I dont always have that in hand, of course.

I was originally leaning towards 2 different sidearms- one full-size/large-bore arm for the around the home, and a second, smaller (.380 etc) for possible CCW use. Now that I'm hearing of the potential passing of OC for my State-(Florida) I'm settling for a single sidearm for both purposes-for the time being.

In looking over several different types, I've ended up selecting the Taurus 845 in .45acp.(and yes, I'm aware of all the anti-taurus folks/issues) for that task. It meets several needs for me-not the least of which being reasonable magazine capacity,yet still has a grip that my odd-sized hands can comfortably grasp.My usual preference is for 1911-types, as that is what I'm trained on and have used in the past-but a recent issue with nerve-damage and flexor-tendonitis rules out such an arm with it's grip safety.
The 845 provideds both SA/DA and I can carry Condition One. I like it's features, and it is within my present budget.

As mentioned, my primary intent is for use at/around the home. If/when the OC legislation passes, I will probably carry it as well. There have been several break-in's/home-invasions in my immediate area lately-including one attempted attack that resulted in one of my dogs being killed (by shotgun).

Apart from the usual taurus-qc bashing, anyone have any useful input or advise regarding pistol, holsters, etc.? Provided it reliably feeds/ejects it- I intend to load it with 185/230 gr. Gold Dots.

Last edited:

tcmech

I won't start bashing the taurus, I have a couple of them and they have worked pretty good for me. I would not have bought one in the past due to issues that friends of mine had but I ran across a real good deal on a PT92 and I have been very happy with the taurus guns I have bought since then.

I will say I bought my wife a pt709 that needed about 250 rounds down the pipe before it stopped having fte problems. Five hundred rounds later it has not missed a beat since.

I would look for a good iwb holster to use for concealed carry. Here in Virginia it is also an open carry option.

I would look at how well it shoots, and how reliably it shoots with various types of ammo before making my final choice on carry ammo. The beauty of a 45 is that something that is marginal in a 380 is devastating in 45.

Freedom First

I have a Taurus PT-945 and it rocks. See the Avatar. Single stack and quite concealable when I need to hide it. Makes my 2A look good.

Stable and easy to shoot. Very reliable and I got it used for $330.

Last edited:

j4l

I heard mixed reviews of Taurus firearms for years. Finally, about two years ago I bought a .357 mag. snubnose revolver and just loved it. I recently bought a larger .375 (Model 608, 8 shot revolver) and it may be the best shooting revolver I've ever shot. I had such good results I bought a 845 semi automatic .45 ACP. The first time I took it out I had two problems. The magazine release was hard to press and would stick in the open position and the magazine followers would bind inside the magazine walls and not load the last two or three rounds. I put a little oil on the mag. release and worked it back and forth for a while until it loosened up then took the mags. apart and rubbed the sides of the mag. followers on some fine sandpaper, they then worked perfectly. After a couple of hours work it was fine and performed as it should. It is a great gun. I think I enjoy shooting those two weapons more than any I own. You can't go wrong with the 845, I like guns with hammers and if I had my way it would also have a grip safety. I looked a the FN P45, but didn't like the safety or the price tag. The FN's safety moves very easily and loosely between positions, up for safe, middle for fire and down for decock. In an emergency it would be very easy to move from safe to decock (bypassing the fire position) accidentally, then finding yourself with a, inadvertently, decocked pistol. The safety on the Taurus is much better. The positions are the same, but and stops at each position are much more deliberate. Good luck with your new Taurus. One last thing, a holster. If you would like a polymer, retention holsters look here:http://itacdefense.com/ShowProducts.aspx?CategoryID=346

Thanks for the tips on this one-I'd heard much the same issue w/ the magazine release, etc. And will perform this on mine as well, just to be sure.When I was checking it out in the shop, I checked the mags for fit and release, and they were a bit tight. But I expected this, based on what I'd heard already-so not a deal-breaker for me.

I'll of course check it and see what it feeds well, but my preference going in will be for Gold Dots, as it has performed well for me in other calibers, etc. in the past-and seems to perform with consistent reliability in most tests I've seen. Im not expecting too many hang-ups on ammo.

For holsters, Im not too crazy about kydex and some of the other plastic types I've seen. Will prefer to look for some leather, but then I'm a bit old -fashioned like that anyway.:banghead:

Nevada carrier

I own two Taurus Semi-auto pistols, and my girlfriend owns one, hers is a PT709, Mine are a PT 24/7 Pro DS in .40 and a PT1911 .45. All of them will eat whatever I put in the magazine, never tried SWC or WC ammo though so I can not attest. I've never had a FTF or FTE, ever, and I've fired between 500 and 1000 rounds through each of mine and about 200 through the 709. Today I fired some cast lead round nose rounds that I reloaded myself and other than the powder being a little dirtier than commercially made cartridges, they fired just fine.

Taurus has a lingering reputation from a time before they began using Beretta's design specs and tools (paying Baretta a royalty of course). They were struggling, and this was what they needed to get a handle on their R&D. since then they have been producing some very good firearms at good prices. They do have some quality control issues from time to time, While I've never gotten a lemon, I know others who have. this is one risk you take when buying a Taurus. They have opted to outsource quality control to the consumer and in trade they offer a lifetime warranty. Bother people I know with personal experience dealing with warranty service through Taurus got brand new firearms returned to them and Taurus just kept the defective ones.

I also Own a Glock 36 and I noticed some very striking design similarities to Glock pistols in the PT709. for what it's worth, it would appear they are taking design features from some well respected firearms designs, probably because those designs work well so they don't feel the need to re-invent the wheel. Personally I don't know how the PT709 is not a patent infringement on on Glock's design, perhaps they are giving Glock a royalty as well, but either way my girl friend got a good pistol at a good price.

pistol manufacturers are a lot like religions. They all take your money and give you something that you must have faith in when your life is on the line. Which ever one you choose, you have to do it for your own reasons or you may one day have doubt at the most important time in your life.

djy71280

Don't Buy Taurus!

I purchased a Taurus pt 845. The very first time I went out to shoot it, the gun did not fire. Talk about disappointed. So I did what anyone would have done, I contacted Taurus customer support. After five attempts each resulting in a 25-30 minute hold time, i was finally able to reach some one who I thought would be able to help me. Boy was I wrong. Not only was the person on the phone very rude, but they told me i had owned the gun for two years when it had only been a few months. The service rep. said there was nothing they could do for me and i would just have to pay to have it shipped and fixed. ????? so much for lifetime warranty. I guess i am trying to say that the gun seemed nice in the store and in all the articles, but when I got it, it was little more than a fancy paper weight. I plan to take the gun to a local gunsmith, get it fixed, sell it and never purchase another Taurus fire arm as long as I live, and i urge every one who reads this to do the same. Sure, not all Taurus firearms are pieces of junk, but when it comes time to deal with a broken firearm, you'll regret buying a Taurus.

Freedom First

Don't be a troll...

I purchased a Taurus pt 845. The very first time I went out to shoot it, the gun did not fire. Talk about disappointed. So I did what anyone would have done, I contacted Taurus customer support. After five attempts each resulting in a 25-30 minute hold time, i was finally able to reach some one who I thought would be able to help me. Boy was I wrong. Not only was the person on the phone very rude, but they told me i had owned the gun for two years when it had only been a few months. The service rep. said there was nothing they could do for me and i would just have to pay to have it shipped and fixed. ????? so much for lifetime warranty. I guess i am trying to say that the gun seemed nice in the store and in all the articles, but when I got it, it was little more than a fancy paper weight. I plan to take the gun to a local gunsmith, get it fixed, sell it and never purchase another Taurus fire arm as long as I live, and i urge every one who reads this to do the same. Sure, not all Taurus firearms are pieces of junk, but when it comes time to deal with a broken firearm, you'll regret buying a Taurus.

Check my reply on your only other posting...

j4l

Lol. total 2 posts,both copy/paste of same. Welcome back, taurus-bashing noob. Again...:banghead: :banghead:

Im honestly beginning to think he loses track of how many different forums he pops into and posts these.Or,maybe he actually thinks people think its someone new each time...:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: