Thread: Carry at Bass Pro Shops

Carry at Bass Pro Shops

A little late to ask this, but during some shopping for Christmas at Bass Pro Shops, I noticed a sign I hadn't seen before saying all weapons, including crossbows, had to be checked in at the customer service desk.

Was this just a Christmas holiday thing, or is it the norm? And how does it impact OC in the store? In my case, I didn't have a desire to "check my weapon at the door" (Bad images of a non-familiar customer service person handling my condition 1 .45) and I didn't want to walk back out to lock it in the truck, so I just zippered the coat and effectively went concealed instead.

Since I didn't ask the questions while there, I was sondering if anyone else has had any experience with this??

I'm not sure about VA, but the Bass Pro Shops here in MO have these signs including (paraphrasing) "This does not apply to legally carried self-defense firearms as long as they remain properly holstered." written across the bottom.

It's possible that was on the sign and I missed it. My eyesight without my reading glasses isn't what it used to be! It just caught me off guard since I had never seen the sign during prior visits.

I saw the sign as well when i have been down ther the past few times. I am VERY leary about handing a condition 1 weapon to ANYONE... not to mention a weapon with no manual safety. Not to mention the simple legal aspect of handing a weapon over to someone you simply DONT KNOW!

Concealed seemed to work.
    Last edited by jmb_nova; 01-06-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Pretty sure I remember reading a while back that they just want to know that you have one. Don't think their intent is to handle it.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I certainly imagine Proshooter can chime in on this one from a very strong position since he teaches his Utah permit class there!!

I'm pretty sure they want you to check in firearms & bows that you are taking there to have them worked on. Has nothing to do with OC or CC.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderRanch View Post
    I certainly imagine Proshooter can chime in on this one from a very strong position since he teaches his Utah permit class there!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    I'm pretty sure they want you to check in firearms & bows that you are taking there to have them worked on. Has nothing to do with OC or CC.
    Hunter45 is correct. I've addressed it with them before and since its a corporate sign, it would have to come from corporate to change the poor wording. The "check in" only applies to guns that were purchased there and are being returned for defect, or service, or bows that are being repaired. A lawfully carried OC/CC handgun is fine. No worries.

ETA - Sometimes, you will encounter one of the senior door greeters who doesn't thoroughly understand the policy, but I've tried to catch them all and explain things.
    Last edited by ProShooter; 01-06-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: addl info
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Good to know.....and thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Hunter45 is correct. I've addressed it with them before and since its a corporate sign, it would have to come from corporate to change the poor wording. The "check in" only applies to guns that were purchased there and are being returned for defect, or service, or bows that are being repaired. A lawfully carried OC/CC handgun is fine. No worries.

ETA - Sometimes, you will encounter one of the senior door greeters who doesn't thoroughly understand the policy, but I've tried to catch them all and explain things.
    great news to know!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    My pleasure!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post

Also true at the Hampton store. An older gent behind the firearms counter gave me a dirty look for OCing and tried to tell me I couldn't "do that" (OC) and I shared the Truth with him. He really came unglued when saw Bridget with her Glock 21. She's 5' tall and doesn't look her age (almost 20). She looks closer to 14 or 15. He flat out stated that you had to be 21 to carry or own a pistol in Virginia. I calmly shared VSP's thoughts on the subject and gave him web adresses for VSP and OCDO. He still looked like he was sucking lemons for the rest of the time we were there, but that's the only time I've had issues there. This was over a year ago. No problems since then...
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)