• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry at Bass Pro Shops

ThunderRanch

A little late to ask this, but during some shopping for Christmas at Bass Pro Shops, I noticed a sign I hadn't seen before saying all weapons, including crossbows, had to be checked in at the customer service desk.

Was this just a Christmas holiday thing, or is it the norm? And how does it impact OC in the store? In my case, I didn't have a desire to "check my weapon at the door" (Bad images of a non-familiar customer service person handling my condition 1 .45) and I didn't want to walk back out to lock it in the truck, so I just zippered the coat and effectively went concealed instead.

Since I didn't ask the questions while there, I was sondering if anyone else has had any experience with this??

Superlite27

I'm not sure about VA, but the Bass Pro Shops here in MO have these signs including (paraphrasing) "This does not apply to legally carried self-defense firearms as long as they remain properly holstered." written across the bottom.

ThunderRanch

It's possible that was on the sign and I missed it. My eyesight without my reading glasses isn't what it used to be! It just caught me off guard since I had never seen the sign during prior visits.

jmb_nova

I saw the sign as well when i have been down ther the past few times. I am VERY leary about handing a condition 1 weapon to ANYONE... not to mention a weapon with no manual safety. Not to mention the simple legal aspect of handing a weapon over to someone you simply DONT KNOW!

Concealed seemed to work.

Last edited:

t33j

Pretty sure I remember reading a while back that they just want to know that you have one. Don't think their intent is to handle it.

hunter45

I'm pretty sure they want you to check in firearms & bows that you are taking there to have them worked on. Has nothing to do with OC or CC.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I certainly imagine Proshooter can chime in on this one from a very strong position since he teaches his Utah permit class there!!

I'm pretty sure they want you to check in firearms & bows that you are taking there to have them worked on. Has nothing to do with OC or CC.

Hunter45 is correct. I've addressed it with them before and since its a corporate sign, it would have to come from corporate to change the poor wording. The "check in" only applies to guns that were purchased there and are being returned for defect, or service, or bows that are being repaired. A lawfully carried OC/CC handgun is fine. No worries.

ETA - Sometimes, you will encounter one of the senior door greeters who doesn't thoroughly understand the policy, but I've tried to catch them all and explain things.

Last edited:

jmb_nova

Hunter45 is correct. I've addressed it with them before and since its a corporate sign, it would have to come from corporate to change the poor wording. The "check in" only applies to guns that were purchased there and are being returned for defect, or service, or bows that are being repaired. A lawfully carried OC/CC handgun is fine. No worries.

ETA - Sometimes, you will encounter one of the senior door greeters who doesn't thoroughly understand the policy, but I've tried to catch them all and explain things.

great news to know!

MSC 45ACP

Also true at the Hampton store. An older gent behind the firearms counter gave me a dirty look for OCing and tried to tell me I couldn't "do that" (OC) and I shared the Truth with him. He really came unglued when saw Bridget with her Glock 21. She's 5' tall and doesn't look her age (almost 20). She looks closer to 14 or 15. He flat out stated that you had to be 21 to carry or own a pistol in Virginia. I calmly shared VSP's thoughts on the subject and gave him web adresses for VSP and OCDO. He still looked like he was sucking lemons for the rest of the time we were there, but that's the only time I've had issues there. This was over a year ago. No problems since then...