• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LD35-Act Relating to Concealed Firearms Locked in Vehicles

Maine CWP Training

An Act Relating to Concealed Firearms Locked in Vehicles

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 26 MRSA §600 is enacted to read:

§ 600. Concealed firearms

An employer or an agent of an employer may not prohibit an employee who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Title 25, chapter 252 from keeping a firearm in the employee’s vehicle as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

SUMMARY

This bill provides that an employer may not prohibit an employee with a valid concealed firearms permit from keeping a firearm in the employee's vehicle as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

Rep. Cebra is the sponsor.

crdonov

An Act Relating to Concealed Firearms Locked in Vehicles

Be it enacted by the People of the State of Maine as follows:

Sec. 1. 26 MRSA §600 is enacted to read:

§ 600. Concealed firearms

An employer or an agent of an employer may not prohibit an employee who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm under Title 25, chapter 252 from keeping a firearm in the employee’s vehicle as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

SUMMARY

This bill provides that an employer may not prohibit an employee with a valid concealed firearms permit from keeping a firearm in the employee's vehicle as long as the vehicle is locked and the firearm is not visible.

Rep. Cebra is the sponsor.

thats good to know!!!

xd-over

boyscout399

Why do legislators write laws with no regard for how that law may impact and interact with other statutes.

What if your employer is a school? Does this law trump the No Guns on School Grounds law?

Also, why are people with CCW permits granted more rights than those without a permit. Does not someone without a permit have an equal right to self defense as recognized by the Supreme Court of the US?

I've finally lost all my faith in legislative bodies. They are all entirely corrupt. There are NO exceptions. I will focus my future efforts in the Judicial arena as it seems legislators are unwilling to stick their necks out to support and defend our State's Constitution with something more than this drop in the bucket poorly written move. This is nothing more than a "see how great I am, I support gun rights, vote for me" by the legislature.

Hightower207

An Spidéal, Co. Galway/Stuck in Maine, Maine, USA
This won't protect the Employee from getting terminated or the "Kinder Gentler" seperated from employement by the Employer if they need to use their firearm in a self defense situation... A lot of Big Employers have a No Weapons policy stating that the employee can't possess or store a firearm on their persons or vehicle anywhere on the Employers Property.

Granted that the Employer can't search the Employees vehicle, if that employee were attacked in the Employers parking lot, garage, etc.. and the Employee used their Firearm(stored and locked) to defend their life or others, they would now be subject to Termination by the Employer and possibly subject to criminal charges depending on where they work...

boyscout399

This won't protect the Employee from getting terminated or the "Kinder Gentler" seperated from employement by the Employer if they need to use their firearm in a self defense situation... A lot of Big Employers have a No Weapons policy stating that the employee can't possess or store a firearm on their persons or vehicle anywhere on the Employers Property.

Granted that the Employer can't search the Employees vehicle, if that employee were attacked in the Employers parking lot, garage, etc.. and the Employee used their Firearm(stored and locked) to defend their life or others, they would now be subject to Termination by the Employer and possibly subject to criminal charges depending on where they work...

It also won't protect the employee from getting fired for an "unrelated reason" after a firearm is discovered in their vehicle.

WantsToCarry

BoyScout hit the nail on the head

Agreed. This doesn't seem to mean a whole lot to me. Ive asked several times for the SOP's or SOG's of where I work and can't seem to get them. I also checked online at work under SOP's and there was no mention of weapons. Ive seen a customer that frequents the store openly carry his firearm in the store, and no one but me even noticed! I talked to him and said he had a CCW. So..that goes for me to ask, can I CC at work if I find no SOP about firearms? (If I have my permit of course) BTW thats just a rhetorical question..not looking for a answer. Haha.

Jeff_JMB

This proposal has to be looked at in the context of the Title & Chapter that it's proposed to amend. It's proposed to be part of the statutes governing Maine Employment Practices, Conditions of Employment. (Title 26, Chapter 7)

It puts firearms rights in the same context as other basic rights that employees have. As such it appears to be a step in the right direction.

On the other hand there are some sticky private property issues involved that will make it interesting to see how it's worked out.