• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry makes people uncomfortable?

Rich B

We hear this kind of stuff all the time, while in practice it certainly has not been true (at least for me). I have been OCing since about April 2010, and I had two police incidents where someone claimed to 'feel uncomfortable'. They were on May 16th and October 16th. That is a 5 month separation where I OCed even more frequently.

So I know there is something wrong with this kind of thinking, because quite simply, while OCing, most people:

- Don't notice.
- Don't care.
- Figure you are a LEO.
- Care, but don't want to be the person to 'upset the herd'.

So where do people get this idea that OCing causes alarm and makes people uncomfortable? I would venture a guess and say it comes from the vocal minority. I would say it is from idiots like this:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-dai...un/4496300/Even-guys-toting-guns-need-manners

This woman is writing an article to try and illustrate what people open carrying around her everyday is like and how it makes her feel uncomfortable. There is one little (huge) problem with that. She is talking about Texas. There is no open carry in Texas.

She is a liar. (A good reaming of her can be found here: http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-...-on-guns-continues-texas-open-carry-hit-piece)

I would tend to go so far as to say that just about everyone I have heard tell me "You can't carry around like that, you will make someone uncomfortable!" is likely a liar or at least is very ignorant as well.

Remember, the future of OC and gun rights is being influenced by the vocal minority like this idiot who is just outright lying. The only way for us to keep our rights (and take some of them back) is by being the more vocal majority. We already have numbers on our side, we just need to make a lot of noise. As long as that noise is honest and truthful noise based on logic, reason and law, we can make the difference.

Be loud. Talk to everyone who will listen. Some will agree, some will not. But make them aware and give them good points. We have truth and facts on our side, people like this liar of a writer, the police and state officials who abuse their powers under color of law and groups like CAGV cannot say the same.

Cross posted here: http://withregardstorights.com/post/2011/01/06/Open-carry-makes-people-uncomfortable.aspx

Last edited:

KIX

geee...... Rich, you and I had lunch down the street from the Wethersfield PD, open carried and nobody screamed.

Go figure.

And we look "mob-like"!

Jonathan

KIX

They got a 'man with a cheeseburger' call though, which bears about the same legal relevance as a MWAG call.

I thought that comparison was only drawn in San Francisco and Mayor "Doom"berg's beloved New York City!

Jonathan

Rich B

I thought that comparison was only drawn in San Francisco and Mayor "Doom"berg's beloved New York City!

I am sure the anti-freedom groups here in CT would love to ban happy meals as well. Lucky for them, kids don't have too many ways to fight back.

EDIT: And since you mention it:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-january-3-2011/san-francisco-s-happy-meal-ban

I have seen approximately the same logic and brain power come from anti-rights groups concerning firearms and OC as well.

Last edited:

Shawn Mitola

geee...... Rich, you and I had lunch down the street from the Wethersfield PD, open carried and nobody screamed.

Go figure.

And we look "mob-like"!

Jonathan

I got stopped the other day by a guy in Mcdonalds who said "Hey your showing there." I said "Yeah I know thanks, thats the point." and kept walking. I wish i had been able to watch the look on his face as I walked away.

KennyB

Shawn, I had that happen to me at a gas station in E.Windsor. Older gent, came up to me and said 'hey your gun is showing'. Now, normally I OC, but since it was like 25 degrees, I was wearing a coat. I turned around and told him it's perfectly legal to carry openly, and in fact I was CC'ing at the time, but he just said 'oh, ok I didn't know' and walked away after saying 'have a good day'. So I guess I did my part that day 'educating' someone on OC. One at a time, one at a time...........;)

gravedigger

The next time some emotionally driven liberal says that your LAWFUL OC of a firearm makes h/h (him or her) uncomfortable, ask that person how h/s (he or she) feels when witnessing a TEEN AGE driver (Read: New, INEXPERIENCED, Immature, unaccountable and probably under the influence of alcohol or drugs) hop into a car. This liberal sees MANY MORE of them each and every day than OC'ers that person may encounter, and new teen drivers in cars cause one HELL of a lot more death and injury each and every day than ANY NUMBER of lawful, experienced OCing gun owners ever could. Tell h/h :

"Since you insist on allowing unfounded paranoia to run your life, it should be properly focused on the REAL threats to your life, health and safety. I am not one of them. Neither is my firearm. Have a nice day!"

In fact, print this out and carry a few copies to hand out! With my compliments! Maybe I'll order a few thousand business cards with this exact sentiment printed on the front, in bright colors and a glossy finish!

Last edited: