• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while working out?

fire suppressor

I will be moving into a new apartment complex soon one with a nice gym in it. I was wondering anyone ever OC while at the gym before? Any positive or negative experiences? Or is it even practical

GreatWhiteLlama

I will be moving into a new apartment complex soon one with a nice gym in it. I was wondering anyone ever OC while at the gym before? Any positive or negative experiences? Or is it even practical

Not practical.

Even CC'ing with one of those gay little fanny packs will get in the way.

If you want to carry to the gym, I'd keep it in your gym bag.

irish52084

It's a pain to carry while working out vigorously, but doabble. I've never open carried at the gym before, but have carried while jogging and doing outdoor workouts. Seems like carrying in the gym would be a huge hassle.

FMCDH

Its doable, but it takes quite a bit of planning around the holster or pack you use to hold the firearm and how its restrained to the body, not to mention quite a bit of patience to put up with the extra shifting weight.

If I am doing a heavy workout like running, I don't bother, but with hiking or biking, I use a Safepacker from Wilderness Tactical Products.
http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinnacle/index.php?p=home

With the right holster and restraint, you can pretty much carry anywhere and in any situation as long as your willing to put up with the weight.

killchain

Just keep it in your gym bag. That's what I do.

Having an OC piece is going to hang the wrong way off of you if you're on the bench, bash the crap out of your hip if you're jogging, and smack on every machine you sit on.

If you're dead set on having a pistol within reach, I suggest getting one of those belly bands and getting something small, like an LCP... you could situate it in the center of your abdomen or something.

Now, if it's outside exercise like hiking, I do that every time. Just get a tight holster (I prefer lv. 3 retention for heavy hiking) and maybe even a lanyard.

Last edited:

.45ACPaddy

I don't really work out, though I should since I could stand gaining some weight. Anyone who's seen me knows this well!

I did a 3 mile hike and camped overnight. I used an old military surplus drop leg holster to carry my 1911 when I had one and it worked fine. It was something I didn't mind getting dirty and it stayed out of the way of my backpack.

For weightlifting, stair climbing, jumping jacks, etc. I wouldn't know since I haven't done any of that while carrying. Off person carry sounds like the most practical option since you won't have something flopping around on you.

fire suppressor

I'm thinking I may just forgo carrying while at the gym I'm use to running with duty belts and packs so the weight isn't a problem for me but its sounding like to much of a hassle.

@ FMCDH Thanks for sharing that link I have never seen that style holster before and really liked it. There had been a few times this last summer I altered by outdoors plans because I was concerned my black hawk holster would not had provided my XD with enough protection from the elements, water proof?

FMCDH

@ FMCDH Thanks for sharing that link I have never seen that style holster before and really liked it. There had been a few times this last summer I altered by outdoors plans because I was concerned my black hawk holster would not had provided my XD with enough protection from the elements, water proof?

No, but water resistant to a point, and it fits well enough under a raincoat on a good stiff belt. You can also treat it with a water proofer from what I hear, and it works well enough, but I have never bothered with mine.

amlevin

Just keep it in your gym bag. That's what I do.

Having an OC piece is going to hang the wrong way off of you if you're on the bench, bash the crap out of your hip if you're jogging, and smack on every machine you sit on.

If you're dead set on having a pistol within reach, I suggest getting one of those belly bands and getting something small, like an LCP... you could situate it in the center of your abdomen or something.

Now, if it's outside exercise like hiking, I do that every time. Just get a tight holster (I prefer lv. 3 retention for heavy hiking) and maybe even a lanyard.

Carrying in a belly band, while working out, will work but it will also give you a real stinky "holster" and soaked pistol after a while. Be prepared to launder the belly band regularly and then strip and clean the firearm. Sweat contains lots of body oils and salt. Neither is great for a firearm unless it's cleaned after every workout.

I'd just keep the firearm in the gym bag and have it close at hand.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Keltec .32 and a belly band...

I used to run... and when I did I ran with my Keltec P32 and a belly band. It added a bit of extra weight and some extra sweaty areas but allowed me to do long runs along a trail armed.

reillo584

I used to run... and when I did I ran with my Keltec P32 and a belly band. It added a bit of extra weight and some extra sweaty areas but allowed me to do long runs along a trail armed.

Can you define long?...I'm asking because I'm also a runner, I'd contemplate the idea of caring while running but my experience while caring some other stuff i.e. wallet, cell phone or energy gels is not that great after, let's say 6 or 8 miles... Just curious

Ed

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Can you define long?...I'm asking because I'm also a runner, I'd contemplate the idea of caring while running but my experience while caring some other stuff i.e. wallet, cell phone or energy gels is not that great after, let's say 6 or 8 miles... Just curious

Ed

26.2 miles.

My regular runs (4 days a week) were in the 6 to 8 mile range. I did not carry water or gels. I drank well before hand and ate well. On longer runs 15-20 miles I would first drive the route and strategically place frozen/cold bottles of water.

sempercarry

I used to go on flak and gas mask runs all the time when I was in Washington. Most of the time they would be on base but if it happened to fall on a weekend, I would do a flak and gas run through University Place with a Glock 21 or CZ SP-01 in an M-16 magazine pouch (perfect holster for a full size pistol). A few funny looks but I am guessing that was primarely from the gas mask and flak jacket.

FMCDH