• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Serpa CQC for 3" 1911

jayspapa

I have been looking at the Serpa CQC holster. The problem is I have a Kimber tactical ultra ( 3" BBL. ) and am wondering if anyone here has ever cut one of the Serpas down to the 3" BBL. length. The commander length serpa would be the one I would start with.

Also I would like to know how tight do they pull the gun into the body with the belt attachment . Is it pulled in any tighter with the belt slots compared to the paddle attachment?

Thanks for any help .

Dreamer

Another added adgantage of a longer holster is that it will protect your front sight and the crown of your muzzle...

Plus, as noted above, it rides closer to the body.

Leave the Serpa at it's stock length. The only thing you gain by cutting down the Serpa to fit a shorter 1911 is cosmetic, and unless you are an expert at working with carbon-fiber-reinforced polymers, even that may be questionable...

ODA 226

I cut mine down a couple of years ago because I wanted better concealability. (The 5" inch stuck out too far.)

Just take a bandsaw and cut it down so that 1/4 inch extra covers your muzzle and you'll be good to go.

shotcop

Why cut it down? Just use it as is. I do this with a Para Warthog and a Itac 1911 holster(very similar to Serpa). Actually, the longer length holster will hold it closer to you.

I agree with gutsht, a three inch revolver conceals batter than a 2 inch for the same reason, the extra length pushes the grip in tighter to your side

jayspapa

My main reason for wanting to cut it down is because of the extra padding I carry. Less gouging , less pain ha ha.

I did get to put my pistol in a commander length Serpa today and it looked like about 3/4" could be cut off and still protect the muzzle . That's just a guess though.

I haven't decided yet if I want to leave leather and go with kydex since I have always used leather.

Thanks for the input guys.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
I cut mine down with a band saw and cleaned it up with a fine and sandpaper. It looks like it came that way. I cut mine about a 1/4" longer than my Kimber Ultra Carry. I also use it with my Kimber Pro carry. It sticks out of the bottom of the holster but, I have never had any problems carrying it this way in the 2 years I have been doing so.

To make it look a little better i cut the front and rear of the opening a a slight angle.