• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

school lockdown

since9

Campaign Veteran
here is an example of ignorant panic

http://www.mtairynews.com/view/full...-lockdown?instance=secondary_news_left_column

i thought about what are some of the younger kids are going to remember about this

They're either going to remember one of two things, depending upon how well their parents have raised them.

If their parents have raised them well, they'll think that while a "lockdown" may be a necessary evil in today's society, the extreme extent of it was wholly unnecessary and offered no additional security than would have been afforded had they simply closed the shades and locked the exterior doors while going about daily school business. And that the woman who "saw a gun" was a blithering idiot.

If their parents have raised them poorly, they'll be thanking and praising the town sheriff for decades to come for saving them from the horrible, gun-toting monster who could have targeted their school for a massacre.

Heaven help this poor lady and this town had they seen my grandfather toting his shotgun back and forth from elementary school every day. They'd have thought the Germans had started WWI five years ahead of schedule.

Kirbinator

Would someone please sue for a violation of the 4th for lockdown?

It's a seizure of the people in the facility, and does not lead to a safer situation.

I believe that if I were in a facility that assumed lockdown, I would assume that I am being held against my will and make pains to seek shelter outside of such a place (probably arming myself if not already armed).

This is as bad a violation of rights as any....

since9

Campaign Veteran
Would someone please sue for a violation of the 4th for lockdown?

It's a seizure of the people in the facility, and does not lead to a safer situation.

I believe that if I were in a facility that assumed lockdown, I would assume that I am being held against my will and make pains to seek shelter outside of such a place (probably arming myself if not already armed).

This is as bad a violation of rights as any....

Parent: Hello, I'm here to pick up my son.

LEO: Sorry, but the school is under lockdown.

Parent: My son has an appointment, and we need to leave. I'll assume full responsibility for my son.

LEO: No one's leaving until the threat's been lifted.

Parent: Is he under arrest? If so, what's the charge?

LEO: You don't understand, the school's... Wait - who are you calling?

Parent: I'm calling the FBI to report a kidnapping.

OldCurlyWolf

Parent: Hello, I'm here to pick up my son.

LEO: Sorry, but the school is under lockdown.

Parent: My son has an appointment, and we need to leave. I'll assume full responsibility for my son.

LEO: No one's leaving until the threat's been lifted.

Parent: Is he under arrest? If so, what's the charge?

LEO: You don't understand, the school's... Wait - who are you calling?

Parent: I'm calling the FBI to report a kidnapping.

And that is what it is under the law, kidnapping.
:cuss::banghead:

SFCRetired

Thank goodness that all mine are grown and gone. I do worry about the grandkids though.

I wish more parents would make those calls to the FBI to report a kidnapping under those circumstances. I'd bet that the totally unnecessary (read "ridiculous") lockdowns of schools and other institutions would very soon stop or be drastically reduced.

I'll also say that, although I am no fan of lawsuits, I'd like to see a few filed on the basis of these lockdowns.

OldCurlyWolf

Thank goodness that all mine are grown and gone. I do worry about the grandkids though.

I wish more parents would make those calls to the FBI to report a kidnapping under those circumstances. I'd bet that the totally unnecessary (read "ridiculous") lockdowns of schools and other institutions would very soon stop or be drastically reduced.

I'll also say that, although I am no fan of lawsuits, I'd like to see a few filed on the basis of these lockdowns.
Mine are grown also. It is grandchildren now.

It is much easier to be Grandpa instead of Daddy.:cool:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Mine are grown also. It is grandchildren now.

It is much easier to be Grandpa instead of Daddy.:cool:

Until one of them wants to move back home with their brood in tow. I do not have that problem, but I can well imagine it. :uhoh:

Dreamer

The woman who called this fake MWAG report should be charged for "filing a false police report". In NC, that is a "Class 2 Misdemeanor"...

§ 14‑225. False reports to law enforcement agencies or officers. Any person who shall willfully make or cause to be made to a law enforcement agency or officer any false, misleading or unfounded report, for the purpose of interfering with the operation of a law enforcement agency, or to hinder or obstruct any law enforcement officer in the performance of his duty, shall be guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor. [FONT=Times New (W1)](1941, c. 363; 1969, c. 1224, s. 3; 1993, c. 539, s. 137; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 23, ss. 1‑3; c. 24, s. 14(c).)[/FONT]

Awshucks

Banned
If you think this is bad.

In the Province of New Brunswick, Canada, they actually have drills where the school is locked down and the children removed to a non-disclosed location. The parents have no right to know the location. Imagine that.

And the people tolerate it without comment or derision.

Drip drip drip...the sound of the bucket of tyranny re-filling via incrementalism.

effigy

Really? This is where we're at. One person who might have had a gun who was walking, not on campus, but in the vicinity of schools (these things are everywhere in some places!), forced between 600 and 1200 or more people to cower in a darkened classroom? We aren't becoming a nation of wussies, we're already there.

since9

Campaign Veteran
The woman who called this fake MWAG report should be charged for "filing a false police report". In NC, that is a "Class 2 Misdemeanor"...

That's an interesting approach, although one would have to prove false intent. Without that key ingredient, no DA would prosecute, and all judges would rule it as contrary to the best interests of the community.

I think a better approach is to prohibit MWAG status as constituting PC for a stop, unless he's using it in a crime. Brandishing is a crime in most areas. Open Carry is not.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
If you think this is bad.

In the Province of New Brunswick, Canada, they actually have drills where the school is locked down and the children removed to a non-disclosed location. The parents have no right to know the location. Imagine that.

And the people tolerate it without comment or derision.

Drip drip drip...the sound of the bucket of tyranny re-filling via incrementalism.

Here in the good ol US of A, That bucket was overflowing 50 years ago. Waiting for that tree of liberty to be refreshed , but would it do any good to refresh a long since dead tree ?