• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Should NON US citizens get Concealed permits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FMCDH

If they are in the country legally with a green card, and meet all the same background requirements as citizens, yes.

Someone who has not proven themselves to be a threat, and has broken no laws, I believe should be guaranteed the same second amendment right as the rest of us.

The right to self defense is a basic human right after-all, and until a person shows by their own actions that they cannot be trusted, they should be able to exercise that right.

If the person is in the country illegally however, hell no!

I make no assumptions about the circumstances that prompted an individual to sneak into this country, but the fact remains they have already committed a crime by being here in the manner they chose to enter.

There is a legal process, they chose to ignore it, so what other legal process will they choose to ignore while they are here? Illegals have every expectation to get away with anything and simply be deported as an ultimate result, short of perhaps cold blooded murder.

Tawnos

I dont know if I like the fact non US citizens being able to carry concealed in out country. I would rather they carry openly so I can see who has a firearm. Criminals get away with enough, whats to stop a green card holder from commiting a crime and then going home with no recourse.
Because if there's one lesson we've seen in this country, it's that someone who is intent on committing a crime with a concealed firearm cares about the permit.

Seriously, this should be an easy answer for anyone who cares about the constitution:
14th amendment
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

wyecoyote

My FIL is a non US citizen in this country legally. How would you know if he was a legal citizen or a permant resident alien? He no longer has an accent unless he goes back to Canada or France (he holds dual citizenship) in which case his accent shows up. Why worry about someone who has gone through the legal process? Your comparing illegal activity to someone legaly being here.

sudden valley gunner

I think they should be able to. If I remember correctly I could be wrong but a Canadian guy who was on this forum, said they used to be able to get Utah permit. And carry were allowed.

dizzle2

to say they are guaranteed all the right US citizens is crazy. The point of the right to keep arms is to protect the rest of your rights, which they do not get all of them. If they get to carry a weapon....why doesn't an 18 year old, ADULT CITIZEN?

oneeyeross

Have you ever purchased a firearm from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)?
Eligibility Requirements include proof of citizenship, is this really any different ?

~Whitney

Yes, entirely different. Art 1, sect 24 of the state constitution applies to the state CPL. As many have said, the right to self defense is a fundamental human right.

The CMP is run under the direction of Congress. Congress made the rules about selling off old US military equipment. They (Congress) can make what ever rules they want to make about selling their stuff.

amlevin

whats to stop a green card holder from commiting a crime and then going home with no recourse.

Perhaps you have a "green card" confused with Diplomatic Immunity. The Green Card only gives a non-US Citizen the right to live and work in this country. It does not exempt them from our laws and punishment for breaking them. They can be arrested, tried, convicted, sentenced, and jailed, just like any other Citizen. The only difference is that when the punishment is complete, a "resident alien" can be deported and we're stuck with the Citizens that have chosen lives of crime.

I say that they have the right to carry, open or concealed, until such time as they do something to loose that right.

Ditto all the comments about illegals. As far as I am concerned the only right they should have in this country is the right to leave.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Because if there's one lesson we've seen in this country, it's that someone who is intent on committing a crime with a concealed firearm cares about the permit.

Seriously, this should be an easy answer for anyone who cares about the constitution:
14th amendment
Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

+1

Let's change the original question a little bit: Should NON Washington citizens get Washington CPL's? Or Washington citizens be restricted from getting permits in other states?

All of the reasons I have seen for not allowing NON-US citizens to get permits could be argued on a state level.

Let's not go there.

NavyMike

40,000 non-citizens serve in the US military

40,000 non-citizens ensure that everyday remains independence day:

http://armed-services.senate.gov/sta...2007-10-06.pdf

"Today, more than 40,000 non-citizens serve in the military (active and reserve) and about 8,000 permanent resident aliens enlist for active duty every year. They serve world-wide in all Services and in a variety of jobs. They represent the United States both at home and abroad – even on the front lines in the Global War on Terrorism.

Over 100 have made the ultimate sacrifice in war and have given their lives for this nation since September 11, 2001."

If non-citizens can serve this country, they should be able to protect their families. With the same rights as a citizen.

Gant's comment in the Fox article, that this is a measured reaction to 9/11, is an insult to permanent residents, particularly those who do/ have served. It is also a load of hogwash - the perpetrators of 9/11 were not permanent residents and concealed firearms bore no relevance to the atrocity.

White_russian5

I am a green card holder and I've been one for 18 years now. When most people meet me they have no idea I wasn't born in this country I don't have an accent even though I speak fluent Russian I am for the most part an American. The only difference is that I can't vote, I can't run for a political office, I can't be a LEO and if I commit a felony I can be deported. I don't know about the rest of you but getting kicked out of the country I love and call home scares me more than prison and is more than enough of a deterant to crime. Taking away the rights of all Permanent Resident Aliens to carry a firearm and defend our families will do nothing more than set the gun rights movement back even further.

NavyMike

to say they are guaranteed all the right US citizens is crazy. The point of the right to keep arms is to protect the rest of your rights, which they do not get all of them. If they get to carry a weapon....why doesn't an 18 year old, ADULT CITIZEN?

I thought the point was to "bear arms in defence of himself, or the state" - WA Constitution Art 1 Sect 24.

Good question on an 18 year old, though. Indeed if an 18 can vote, join the army and die for his/her country; they should be able to bear arms in defence of themselves, in line with every other law abiding adult. I believe there is a thread somewhere in the WA forum where a member is lobbying for this.

dizzle2

I thought the point was to "bear arms in defence of himself, or the state" - WA Constitution Art 1 Sect 24.

Good question on an 18 year old, though. Indeed if an 18 can vote, join the army and die for his/her country; they should be able to bear arms in defence of themselves, in line with every other law abiding adult. I believe there is a thread somewhere in the WA forum where a member is lobbying for this.
yeah greenisfaster i believe has a thread on that. My POV, why the hell should a non-citizen have the right to obtain a cpl while as a 18y old citizen cant...?

NavyMike

yeah greenisfaster i believe has a thread on that. My POV, why the hell should a non-citizen have the right to obtain a cpl while as a 18y old citizen cant...?

Because it is not relevant in law. There are other things a non-citizen can do that an 18 year old can't. For example, drink alcohol. One has zero bearing on the other.

dizzle2

Because it is not relevant in law. There are other things a non-citizen can do that an 18 year old can't. For example, drink alcohol. One has zero bearing on the other.

yes but drinking alcohol isnt guaranteed by the constitution .

wrightme

Have you ever purchased a firearm from the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP)?
Eligibility Requirements include proof of citizenship, is this really any different ?

~Whitney

Yes.

The CMP is not the .gov.

The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army. Title XVI of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996 (Public Law 104-106, 10 February 1996) created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety (CPRPFS) to take over administration and promotion of the CMP. The CPRPFS is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation that has been Federally chartered by the U.S. Congress, but is not an agency of the U.S. Government (Title 36, United States Code, Section 40701 et seq). Apart from a donation of surplus .22 and .30 caliber rifles in the Army's inventory to the CMP, the CMP receives no Federal funding.
http://www.thecmp.org/

Last edited:

wrightme

Really? What Rights do you deny them? Even the government does not deny other Rights to them.

dizzle2

And the 2nd Amnd is extended to permanent residents via the 14th, in the same way as all the others covered by the Bill of Rights.

not exactly...All persons BORN or NATURALIZED...it doesnt say anything about permanent residency.

Status
Not open for further replies.