• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Price ANONYMITY?

wrightme

KRS 237.020 states that anyone can buy a firearm from an unlicensed dealer as long as that sell conforms to state and/or federal law. So basically as long as its a legal firearm and not being sold to a felon??? Could you elaborate on this for me gutshot? Is that the gist of it, or is there more to it?

"Prohibited person," not "felon." A felony charge creates a prohibited person, but a felon CAN get rights restored. DV offenders have much greater trouble getting right restoration.

UnfetteredMight

KRS 237.020 states that anyone can buy a firearm from an unlicensed dealer as long as that sell conforms to state and/or federal law. So basically as long as its a legal firearm and not being sold to a felon??? Could you elaborate on this for me gutshot? Is that the gist of it, or is there more to it?

That law sounds contradictory to me and should be better defined. By federal law, a dealer has to be licensed. It may have something to do with people selling multiple guns our of their "personal collection". It's legal to sell out of your "personal collection" without an FFL, but if your "personal collection" consists of a revolving stock of firearms, then it's not really your "personal collection" is it?

Last edited:

KYKevin

the check is conducted by the batfe, it has nothing to do with local law enforcement in ky. When they are on the phone they are talking to federal govt. I have never heard of them giving all that info. I know they record the serial number on the paperwork, however they do not go into detail with model and this and that. just handgun longgun and that is it. I have heard of them going into detail with someone that has had a misdemeanor on their record. They might be getting you confused with someone else. Do you give them ur social, or just your name.?

Ok I said sheriff by mistake. My bad. I have habit of saying sheriff when talking about any kind of leo's. :)They are all the same to me. We all make mistakes sometimes. But yes I was standing not more than 3 feet away and they did go into all the detail. They did not have my social but they had my drivers license in hand when talking on the phone. LOL wasn't trying to start an argument just saying what had happen to me. And as far as a record goes I don't have one. At the time of my last purchase I had not been keeping up on all the laws and regs and I figured that it was something new they were doing. And to be honest I really have nothing to gain about lying about what happened. I heard what I heard and it was my weapon she was talking to them about on the phone.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
licensed

A dealer does have to be licensed to receive firearms from manufacturing companies. However, a private person can sell firearms in his posession and still be within state law and federal law. He just cant order them and receive them at his home. KY has a bill introduced this leg. session that will make KY void of federal law in the firearms business. If a gun is manufactured in KY, you do not have to go through all the hassle to purchase. NO checks no nothing, just buy the gun. And it makes it to where you can be 18 and purchase, just not from an ffl. Its on the KY legislative page, i just cant remember the bill number....there is more to it, so look it up, its pretty interesting. Already in KY an 18 year old can open carry and posess a handgun, but he cant purchase ammo or the firearm, it has to be given to him by a gaurdian.

KYKevin

A dealer does have to be licensed to receive firearms from manufacturing companies. However, a private person can sell firearms in his posession and still be within state law and federal law. He just cant order them and receive them at his home. KY has a bill introduced this leg. session that will make KY void of federal law in the firearms business. If a gun is manufactured in KY, you do not have to go through all the hassle to purchase. NO checks no nothing, just buy the gun. And it makes it to where you can be 18 and purchase, just not from an ffl. Its on the KY legislative page, i just cant remember the bill number....there is more to it, so look it up, its pretty interesting. Already in KY an 18 year old can open carry and posess a handgun, but he cant purchase ammo or the firearm, it has to be given to him by a gaurdian.

I remember reading about this somewhere too. I al so hoping it passes. I think last year it was HB 87 and SB 122 if it is the same one I am thinking about. The Kentucky Firearms Freedom Act. Sadly it did not get anywhere last year. I believe 5 states have already put a law like this into effect.

From http://kyfirearmsfreedom.com/
The purposes of the Kentucky Firearms Freedom Act are:

1. Support the right to keep and bear arms in Kentucky
2. Insulate Kentucky from future federal gun bans
3. Stop unconstitutional federal gun laws
4. Support existing Kentucky firearms manufactures
5. Encourage new firearms manufacting in Kentucky - JOBS!
6. Exert Kentucky state sovereignty
7.Push back against the anti-gun zealots in the federal government and the United Nations

Commifornia Refugee

Welcome from another Commufornia Refugee!

Dear Gravedigger & Commifornia Resident:

We lived in So. Commifornia for 25 years so we *feel* your pain!

We escaped and have enjoyed our Commifornia Refugee status here in NW Arkansas (just two states from KY) for 12 years now.

JUST TODAY in a neighboring city, called "Freedomdale" my 14 year old son and I we went to a gun show that had 450 tables.

We went to sell our two handguns (9mm and .357) and our 20ga shotgun. While we we're walking in, two astounding events happened.

1) A 55 year old gent approached us in line, saying "what are you selling today?" We told him and he explained he's a retired 25 year vet from the Freedomville Fire Dept. and he buys and sells and collects guns as a hobby to get him out of the house away from the Wifey. Total good guy, normal, fully in charge of all his mental faculties, just a solid citizen. In full visibility of 4 local Freedomville cops and 40 others waiting in line to get in (it was VERY busy), we stepped over to the hood of his car, examened the three guns. He made us an offer, and we accepted $600 cash for all three. We helped him put the guns in his trunk and we all walked back to the entry line. No black helicopters, no paperwork, no nothing except product, cash and a great handshake. Then astounding event #2 happened.

2) The four Freedomdale cops were very casually handing a 40 year old guy a ticket. One of the cops was holding a 150 year old muzzle loader at his side. I very politely asked one cop "what happened, is the show still on?" He said, "Oh yeah, there's no problem, it's just that the guy's muzzle loader accidentally discharged and we're forced to write him a misdemeanor citation for discharging inside a building. No big deal" he said. The the "main cop" who was writing a ticket, shook the ticketed guy's hand and said, pretty loudly, "I shouldn't probably tell you that Obama is making us do this to you, should I?" Everyone of us 30 dudes standing in line totally burst out laughing and the ticketed guy was laughing too and then the cop holding his muzzle loader said, "Yeah we don't like Obama any more than you guys do!" and everyone had a big laugh. Then the ticketed guy said, "Hey if everyone pitches in $5 we can get this ticket paid off in no time!" Everyone whipped out a 5-spot and the guy had his $120 fine and the cops said, "Hey, just think of it this way, you all just paid $5 for a big laugh at Obama's expense, right?" and everybody was having a great time. The cops left, shaking quite a few hands along the way, saying, "Be careful in there you guys...just remember, no loaded guns and we won't be back...gotta go to the donut shop and we don't wanna come back here!" Those down home, solid cops, just doing their job, KNOW we gun-show dudes are SOLID citizens and 99.7% of us are God fearing, law-and-order cop supporters, non-violent, pro-constitution great guys.

So you see my "soon-to-be Commifornia Refugee", there IS freedom here in the Mid-South...full and complete...and EVERYONE (at least 85% of us) is armed and EVERYONE knows it and there is virtually NO crime outside the big "inner city cesspools."

As a side social commentary, when we left Commifornia, we were petrified...scared of the unknown "great ignert mass of moonshine-makin, tobacky chewin, illiterate, backwater hillbillies."

WRONG!

Our Mid-South neighbors are the BEST friends we've ever had. In our little area of 18 homes, all on three acres, all about 3,000SF each, we have two doctors, one lawyers, three VP's, a banker, two commercial airline pilots, two business managers, two computer software dudes, three retirees (and also Commifornia Refugees), two professional sales people and one print shop owner. Each 2-story home on three acres cost between $185K and $300K. EVERY ONE of them is armed and well trained. Some of us even go to the gun range and hunting together.

POINT IS: We have UNBELIEVABLE freedom here. No mental stress from freeways, drive-by shootings, no gangs, nobody siting around on moochin' on welfare, and no trouble financially paying our low property taxes and low mortgages. If I want to go into my backyard of 3 acres and shoot the old rotting Halloween pumpkin with my shotgun and my 14 year old watching, I can (and do and so do all my neighbors!). WE DO WHAT WE WANT AND NONE OF US HURT ANYONE OR INFRINGE ON ANY ONE ELSE'S RIGHT TO LIFE, LIBERTY AND THEIR OWN PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS.

Welcome home to "Freemerica"...you're getting out of Commifornia JUST in time!!! It's the best decision you ever made...we have over 100 acquaintances and good Commifornia Refugee friends, and EVERY ONE of them has NO REGRETS...except a few comments about the nice weather, the beaches and the great restaurants. But those FEW luxuries PALE in comparison to the 97 other FREEDOMS you gain!

Welcome, Welcome, Welcome! NOW GET LOADED UP AND GET OUT HERE!!!

NoHadji

That pretty much sums it all up. We moved from a wacko, pinko commie east coast state to KY and I am the happiest in my entire life. It did feel weird for the first six months to be so relaxed and not have to freak out every time the state legislature was set to meet.

You will love KY, except for the damn drivers. By far the worst I have encountered in any state I have driven in.

neuroblades

Last several guns I bought at a local and very popular gun dealer here in western Kentucky. I was standing there when they called the sheriffs dept for the background check. I heard them give the them my personal info along with the type of weapon I was buying, the brand, the model, the caliber and yes the serial number. In fact the last gun I bought was a Keltec sub2000 and I even heard the lady repat the serial nuber twice so they got it right. So I am willing to bet at least the sheriff here know all the weapons I have purchased through this local gun store. (btw it is an awesome weapon. I love shooting it.)

I had originally seen nothing in this thread to post on, it was free flowing but then I ran across your post. I have to inquire as to why the gun dealer was in contact with the Sheriff's Dept. at all?

KYKevin

I had originally seen nothing in this thread to post on, it was free flowing but then I ran across your post. I have to inquire as to why the gun dealer was in contact with the Sheriff's Dept. at all?

I meant to say batf. It was my fault when writing the post. lol I guess I just had sheriff on the brain at the time. lol I already caught hell from someone cause I said sheriff by mistake. I just went back and reeditted it. What can I say. we all make mistakes. I am human and not perfect. But I am getting close to perfect, at least in my own mind. :) My mistake was using the wrong word.

Last edited:

gravedigger

Only two months to go! We'll be arriving at the end of March, or perhaps the first or second week of April. Still thinking of selling my Commiefornia guns, IF ONLY to bring the money to the Kentucky economy when I replace them! Hmmm ... I have 408 pounds of ammo. If I sell it here, I can replace it there. There was a worry about ammo prices, ammo registration, etc., but now it looks like that is not such a concern. Even now, as I type this, the guy on the radio is talking about how 3,000 people are leaving Commiefornia EVERY DAY! LOL! I'll be joining them soon!

Mikewt

Only two months to go! We'll be arriving at the end of March, or perhaps the first or second week of April. Still thinking of selling my Commiefornia guns, IF ONLY to bring the money to the Kentucky economy when I replace them! Hmmm ... I have 408 pounds of ammo. If I sell it here, I can replace it there. There was a worry about ammo prices, ammo registration, etc., but now it looks like that is not such a concern. Even now, as I type this, the guy on the radio is talking about how 3,000 people are leaving Commiefornia EVERY DAY! LOL! I'll be joining them soon!

I was born in Ky, lived in N. Cal for 27 years moved back "home" in 1997 got CCDW ASAP. Noticed my Colt AR-15 seemed much happier and was more accurate, did not shoot as far to the left as it did in Cal. I see no reason to sell what you already have unless they have some stupid Cal "enhancements", also the ammo will probably have higher velocity as it is not weighed down by so much guilt. Welcome

Mike T Central KY