• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I wish you the best but....

shotcop

I wish you all the best in your OC endeavors which are certainly a noble thing! I fear that you may be close to hitting on something good which may change your life forever though. Through this and other mediums you seem to be changing perceptions. But...what will you do if you get to where people don't treat you with the fear and contempt you seem to thrive on? Your obvious need to belong and challenge anyone who doesn't see cops and other authorities as an enemy only works when you're an underdog! Oh well, there are other conspiracies afoot I'm sure. In the mean time, I have enjoyed the ranting. There are many seemingly good and intelligent people on here, but way too many nut jobs for me to continue playing. Have a good one and again..I wish you the best!

palerider116

It is regrettable to see you go. You offer rational discussion and are extremely fair. I wish you would stay.

eye95

What a nasty and insulting post disguised as a courteous farewell.

When we talk about the folks at this site, we say "we" or "us." Clearly, you don't feel a part of the movement, referring to the collective group here as "you." How trollish.

To make matters worse, you insult the entire group by making generalizations.

I stood shoulder-to-shoulder with you in a thread, exhorting others not to make generalizations about LEOs. Shame on you. Not just for generalizing, but for hypocrisy.

Frankly, I would've responded like the post above were it not for the venom and hypocrisy in your post.

shotcop

LOL....funny.

Another LEO with thin skin who couldn't handle criticism of wrongful behavior of LEA's. Yet so willing to "dish it out".

Not thin skinned, just breathing oxygen. I appreciate what you're doing and agree with the stands on OC and gun rights, I still plan to use the map features and ref state laws when travelling. I didn't mean to offend and even plan to attend an OC lunch in Feb. It's just that it doesn't take long for discussions to be hijacked and not resemble the original point after a short period, but that's the nature of any public discourse, I just intend to use this as a resource rather than participate in the angst and name calling. I stand up for my rights but don't walk around looking to be offended. If most cops felt more welcomed here, you'd be surprized to learn how many agree with you. Confrontation always causes people to form into camps..just aint me! Again, wish you the best!

Aaron1124

I wish you all the best in your OC endeavors which are certainly a noble thing! I fear that you may be close to hitting on something good which may change your life forever though. Through this and other mediums you seem to be changing perceptions. But...what will you do if you get to where people don't treat you with the fear and contempt you seem to thrive on? Your obvious need to belong and challenge anyone who doesn't see cops and other authorities as an enemy only works when you're an underdog! Oh well, there are other conspiracies afoot I'm sure. In the mean time, I have enjoyed the ranting. There are many seemingly good and intelligent people on here, but way too many nut jobs for me to continue playing. Have a good one and again..I wish you the best!

I see nothing insulting with this post. It's the man's opinion, and I respect that.

MK

I wish you all the best ........... But...what will you do if you get to where people don't treat you with the fear and contempt you seem to thrive on?

though the post is addressed to "all" of us. I just wanted to speak up on my own behalf that I don't thrive on other people's fear and contempt of me, especially in regards to my 2A rights or any rights for that matter.

sultan62

I saw the message as an underhanded insult. I very much do not wish to stir up fear and contempt. OC becoming more widely accepted is absolutely excellent in my opinion-an opinion which is shared by the great majority of this site's users.

You may not have meant the message that, way, and I take it at face value when you said you didn't.

You seem to be taking the impression that we are looking for confrontation. Most of us are not. However, it would be foolish not to be prepared for it with the incidents which we read about.

I have one additional observation about your post, however. You say you wish not to "participate in the angst" here, yet you decided to post a new thread related to your leaving, and left a parting shot therein.

On second thought, I don't believe I can take your statement that you didn't mean to offend at face value. If you truly didn't, you desperately need to reread your posts before you click "Submit."

However, your entire message was inflammatory toward the general nature of the forum. The qualifier of "seemingly" along with "good and intelligent" before "way too many nut jobs" is one example. You say that we have an "obvious" need to belong and challenge those who don't see police as enemies. Whether you intentionally added "seemingly" into the first statement and "obvious" into the second or not, they add a very condescending tone to your post. You also apparently consider participating here "playing", which suggests that we have lackadaisical reasons for being here, and by association, OCing in general.

You may or may not have meant your post to communicate these things; I do not, and cannot, know. The fact remains that they are there.

Here are your suggestions/accusations as they relate to me:

1. In no way do I thrive on fear and contempt. I open carry for multiple reasons. First, of course, is protection of myself and others I am with. Also included are education, standing up for my rights, and comfort of carrying a larger gun than CC. Nowhere in that list do you see fear or contempt. The reasons for others are likely similar to my own, or at least share some similarities. And as to what I'll do when OC is 100% accepted? Maybe I won't feel the need to carry a voice recorder with me everywhere I go.

2. OC is a small part of who I am. I know who I am, and where I belong.

3. I don't see cops as the enemy. However, it would be foolish not to recognize that officers have the potential to make my life difficult through lack of knowledge, malice, or both. It would not be wise to be unprepared for this type of situation. For the record, I have yet to have a negative interaction with an officer regarding OC.

4. "Oh well, there are other conspiracies afoot I'm sure." I see no way this was not directly an insult, and I've got no use for anyone who refers to me this way. Much less any kind of public servant. If you want to spew filth like this, you probably shouldn't represent yourself as a current or former LEO online, as you perpetuate the negative stereotype.

As I was writing this message, you can see that I went from mild frustration to some form of anger. I see no possibility that you wrote this message without the intent to antagonize. It looks almost as if you carefully formulated your message to be an insult, and then put enough "have a good days" in there to be able to point and say "Look, I wasn't trying to be mean. I wasn't talking about you, I promise!

I can't say I'll be sad to see you go. As I've said, I've got no use for anyone who wants to put such a backhanded message out to me, or a forum that has likely treated him with respect.

P.S. I kept this message as I wrote it initially, as I felt it would best represent my thought process as I wrote it. At first, I thought shotcop could legitimately have meant no insult; however, I obviously arrived at a different conclusion by the time I finished my post.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
It is regrettable to see you go. You offer rational discussion and are extremely fair. I wish you would stay.

I can see your point.

For myself, I might go so far as to give him a second chance; but, he would have to make genuine contributions sufficient to outweigh his noisy farewell before I would wish him to stay.

Such a farewell makes me wonder whether he ever really intended to contribute. Or, whether he was just on-board as a dilettante. A contributor would realize that no matter what the resistance, if the message was good, it would get through. A contributor would also realize he could expect to receive benefit, too--learn something.

I've been ridiculed, cussed, rebuffed, criticized, etc. I just keep learning, and keep posting what I have picked up and consider valuable. But, I decided early that I had things I could contribute, and that there were some sharp, educated people here from who I could learn.

This site is phenomenal in my book. Thousands of Americans coming together, passing along knowledge and wisdom.

eye95

I see nothing insulting with this post. It's the man's opinion, and I respect that.

I do. I find the bolded generalizations repugnant. It may be true of some here, but not all, and certainly not me. I find it hypocritical that he should bemoan generalizations about LEOs and then flounce out with a generalization about the membership here.

I hope he mans up. If he doesn't, he is best gone.

MK

This site is phenomenal in my book. Thousands of Americans coming together, passing along knowledge and wisdom.

I agree with you big time on that feeling.

I am really happy to see a cross section of our society come together on specific issues we all care about even if the group as a whole can be generalized with one big paint brush due to some group types that appear to be more representative in numbers than others. I still like to give my viewpoints and am open to at least hearing others though I may find myself in disagreement from time to time. There are alot of things I have learned. There are ways that my mindset has also adapted due to other people's input in which I may not have had clear and convincing exposure to up until my registration and participation here.

I myself tend to have some of what others would describe as "liberal" tendencies. I probably lean a bit to the left side in my Libertarian feelings. I constantly see liberal bashing and hating being expressed here but I also know its not directed at all of "them" or "us". Most people here realize that many support the same things even if we do have different walks of life. Liberals, taken as a wholesale group, tend to threaten some of the principles we all hold dear, even what other liberals hold dear. There is a pattern. I can see it and I can accept it.

Its obvious this organization's purpose is to preserve, protect and even expand upon what most of us feel is our inherent right to own and carry arms. Given the many different backgrounds of the people who come together on this issue, its only normal that there are going to be a vast amount of tangents to the main focus and the main purpose just as there are many obstacles that might carry a different level of threat in each of our individual opinions.

wrightme

I wish you all the best in your OC endeavors which are certainly a noble thing! I fear that you may be close to hitting on something good which may change your life forever though. Through this and other mediums you seem to be changing perceptions. But...what will you do if you get to where people don't treat you with the fear and contempt you seem to thrive on?
Once infringements cease, those you seem to revile can lead normal lives without being pointed out as 'different.'
shotcop said:
Your obvious need to belong and challenge anyone who doesn't see cops and other authorities as an enemy only works when you're an underdog! Oh well, there are other conspiracies afoot I'm sure. In the mean time, I have enjoyed the ranting. There are many seemingly good and intelligent people on here, but way too many nut jobs for me to continue playing. Have a good one and again..I wish you the best!
Huh? "obvious need to belong?" How does that jive with the other statements? They want to belong by being different? How odd.

25sierraman

I don't see LEO's as the enemy at all. I do work for "the man" as well just in a different capacity. Cops just aren't always right and occasionally need some correcting as much as that may bug you. I don't thrive on fear or contempt from people either. That seems like a very unfair conclusion that you've drawn about the members of this forum. Is it because we don't have a badge that all of a sudden our mode of carry is meant to make people fear us?

wrightme

Look again.

A fair number of insults, open and hidden.

since9

Campaign Veteran
But...what will you do if you get to where people don't treat you with the fear and contempt you seem to thrive on?

Where in the world is this coming from? Wherever you're getting it, it's not the impression I get from those of us on OCDO. It's certainly not my motivation.

Your obvious need to belong and challenge anyone who doesn't see cops and other authorities as an enemy...

Again, more misinformation, as I cooperate with law enforcement to the maximum extent within the confines of the law, but as balanced with my rights as a citizen of the United States of America.

There are many seemingly good and intelligent people on here...

I concur.

Last edited:

PT111

In some ways I agree with shotcop but overall I think he is being overly dramatic in his post and not necesarily insulting to all on here. The majority of posters on here are intelligent, insightful and offer great information. There are a few that I don't know if I would describe as "gun nuts" but some that I would not want to walk down the street with. There are a few that have allowed some incident or possibly more than one incident to consume their lives and thinking to the point that they have possibly become a danger to themselves and others. This is a small minority but many times their thinking goes well beyond reasonableness into confrontation at every chance for the sole purpose of confrontation.

Most carry a gun to defend themselves if necessary, some to promote the recognition of the right to carry. Every now and then one carries a gun in order to have a confrontation for some unknown reason, possibly to win a lawsuit for money. At least one has been know to even change guns in order to have the confrontation when the original plan did not work.

rotorhead

I've seen literally thousands of "good bye" threads, and this is not a good bye thread, it's a simple slap in the face to people who disagree with his preconceived notions about the subjects at hand.

In fact, most goodbye threads are not goodbyes at all, but a large majority of them are similar in nature, posted to raise discussion and, for lack of a better term, whine and cry about a situation.

Here's a hint: if it's a true goodbye thread, the person actually leaves...

I have made a decision to post much less here due to some procedural issues dealing with one of the moderators, but rarely will I post a thread saying goodbye. It would be disingenuous to do so and yet remain to respond to others who responded in my goodbye thread. I would, instead, PM a few people and wish them luck and give them my thanks, and ride off into the digital sunset.

Don't take "goodbye" threads as goodbyes at all, because they aren't goodbyes. They are cries for "justice" raised by the individual who feels he or she has been wronged in some fashion.

Remember, if it was a true goodbye, the member would actually leave. :)

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

I can understand why you're leaving; I mean you even put 'cop' in your username so people would know you're one of the privileged few but people don't "respect your authoritay". It's almost as though without a badge you're just another person on the internet... with no more power or privilege than anyone else.

Such an attitude should not be tolerated and I can't blame you at all for your attitude towards the unwashed masses of "them" who seem to be massed against the overwhelming knowledge of the few who represent Law and Justice on the internet.

I only wish you the very best of luck wherever you go.