• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit News - Michigan law requires open carry in some venues

PDinDetroit

Wow what a crappy story with no research done at all. He wants MOC to work with the Detroit Police, something we've done for two years. Even dares us to come and OC in Detroit. Idiot.

Here is the "education" I provided to the author (and anyone who reads the comments if they published it).

PDinDetroit said:
To the author of this article...

Short Version: You are a FUDD of the highest order. Your research skills are lacking and your assumptions are egregiously wrong.

Long Version: Let's take a look at the following points in your article. Full Disclosure: I am a person who Openly or Concealed Carries in Daily Life.

Point #1: The Detroit News Article presents a media slant not present in real life. If anyone has been paying attention to the Royal Oak, Berkley, or Huntington Woods City Commission/Council Meetings, you would find that they are requesting new Pistol Free Zones which would ban any form of carry, concealed or otherwise. The Open vs Concealed "controversy" is a Media Slant designed to divide Firearm Owners, as the true nature of these Legislative Requests is to ban all forms of carry at specific events. Please do not fall for this ruse, although it appears you have already been "had".

Point #2: You have no conceptual understanding of the term "arms", which includes firearms. I believe you will find a "Saturday Night Special" clearly falls into the category of firearms. Since many people are low income and the "Saturday Night Special" is loosely defined as an "inexpensive handgun", are you against persons such as these having a means of Self-Protection?

Point #3: The Michigan Constitution Article I Section 6 clearly spells out every person's right to provide for their own self-protection. My exercise of Rights is not subject to your approval. While salient arguments can be made on both sides for Open and Concealed Carry, you sir attempt neither and simply spew man-hating epithets. What do you say to the women who Open Carry? Do they have some sort of envy that we should know about? Maybe you just didn't consider women in your article?

Point #4: While it is generally understood that Freedom of Expression/Freedom Of Speech does not include the ability to incite panic without due cause (yelling FIRE in a crowded building), a person does not go around "muzzled" and unable to speak so they can actually yell "FIRE!" if the situation arises. The same goes with daily carry of a firearm. My decision to carry Openly is based upon many hours of research and from Personal Experience in self-defense situations boiled down to the following rationale: Possible Deterrent Factor and Ease of Access in an adrenaline-charged life or death situation. Are you for "muzzling" those who would provide for their own Self-Defense?

Point #5: If you had done any research about the Arts, Beats, and Eats Contract Concern, you would have found that the City of Royal Oak was in direct violation of State Law (MCL 123.1102) as the contract stated "No Firearms" within the Festival Grounds (composed of Public Streets and Sidewalks). It just so happened that a member of the MI Open Carry Community wanted to attend the festival and asked online if firearms would be allowed. Members, such as myself and others, went to discuss the matter with the City privately first and then in the City Commission proceedings, which were largely ignored until the "media circus" started up. Are you for MI Cities violating the law or do you support persons working to stop such practices?

Point #6: It is true that not as many Open Carry Activities occur "South of 8 Mile" as you put it, but this is likely to change now that cities are realizing that Open Carry is within the law (MSP Legal Update #86). If you had done the proper and necessary research prior to publication, you would know that some members of the Open Carry Community were denied entrance to Hart Plaza Events on multiple occasions and are starting work with the City of Detroit to change this. You would also have seen public posts by persons who have Open Carry Experiences within the City of Detroit. Since the Open Carry Community is a "grass-roots" organization, a person with a passion for a particular area of the efforts takes up the challenge of leading such efforts. Since your article appears to display such a passion, will you join us in furthering Firearm Rights within Detroit?

Point #7: Self-Defense is not "black and white", the need for such knows no such artificially constructed division and your article injects "race" where there is no issue with such. If you wish to take on "race-induced" issues within Firearm Rights, then I humbly ask you to research how Pistol Registration within MI came about, if the Dr Sweets Case influenced that, and how the Pistol Registration Laws should be changed. Will you seriously undertake such a challenge or will you take the "easier-softer" method and simply stick to playing the "Race Card"?

Point #8: As to the Gun "buy-back" programs, I completely agree with you that they are little worth and do not solve "gun violence" issues. Again, if you had done some research, you would know that some members of the Firearm Rights groups in MI actually went to the last Detroit Gun "Buy-Back" and were able to purchase a firearm from a person at FAIR MARKET VALUE before being accosted by the Detroit Police Department and order to leave. There are many firearms, holding high values and potentially historical items, that are turned in at such events for pennies on the dollar only to meet the smelter. The Gun "buy-back" programs are a misnomer, neither the Police Departments nor the Government previously owned these firearms and if they did, how did these guns get out of their control in the first place?

I challenge you, the author of this article, to come to an Open Carry Seminar that are held in multiple locations. I believe you will find more than just "how to carry" being discussed there. The only issue will will face: researching where one will occur (but I trust that you can do it).

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
You can OC or CC in a bank with a CPL. Not a Federal Reserve Bank.

why? because it has the word federal in it? can you also not carry in a Fedex office? when was the last time anyone walked in to cash a check or use an ATM in a federal reserve bank, anyway. the federal reserve bank, as a privately owned institution, has the right to ban firearms, but it's not a matter of law. federal reserve banks are also not open to the public.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
why? because it has the word federal in it? can you also not carry in a Fedex office? when was the last time anyone walked in to cash a check or use an ATM in a federal reserve bank, anyway. the federal reserve bank, as a privately owned institution, has the right to ban firearms, but it's not a matter of law. federal reserve banks are also not open to the public.

I could be wrong, but I recall that they do offer educational programming to the general public. But, as I think you were trying to inform readers that this restriction often confuses people and they erroneously believe that carry in their local bank is prohibited, I believe you already knew that.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ok, let me try again. Is this what you are saying? It's illegal under 18 USC Sec. 930 to carry a gun in a "Federal facility," which is defined as "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties."
Since, according to your citation, FED employees are not considered employees of the federal government, Federal Banks are not considered "Federal Facilities"?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
the federal reserve is privately owned, that's what i'm saying. it is not federal government property.
18 USC Sec. 930 does not apply to the federal reserve anymore than it would federal express