Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Today - NRA shoots to pass open carry law in Florida

Moderator / Administrator

Florida Today - NRA shoots to pass open carry law in Florida

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/...ax+handgun+law

SNIP

A movement to let Floridians openly carry their handguns in a holster makes its first stop in Brevard with a rally in Melbourne on Saturday.

. . .

The rally comes at a time when the National Rifle Association is backing legislation that would permit residents with concealed-carry permits to wear their guns openly.
    "We are correcting a problem that has existed for a while. We want to address that issue," said Marion Hammer, past president of the NRA and current Florida lobbyist for the organization.
    Hammer said the bill under consideration is simply common sense.
    "You are carrying a gun and it can become exposed. There is a very fine line there. This has created problems in the past," Hammer said about the bill that would let concealed carry permit holders carry their guns in public view.

. . .

The article wasn't bad, considering the rabid anti-gun stance of Florida Today.

I dug out my fishing gear and will be there in the morning.

Had to make a stop at Wal-Mart for a free license. The cops check for fishing licenses, but not carry licenses? We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Japle View Post
    The article wasn't bad, considering the rabid anti-gun stance of Florida Today.

I dug out my fishing gear and will be there in the morning.

Had to make a stop at Wal-Mart for a free license. The cops check for fishing licenses, but not carry licenses? We'll see.
    How can they check for carry licenses? There isn't any such thing as an open carry license...yet.

We need to rid the state of the permit too... after we pass open carry.

The only people who should have permits are people between 18 and 21.
    Last edited by lowlux; 01-14-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlux View Post

Why 18-20 year olds?

I think only females should be allowed to carry when between the age of 18 and 20.

They are the most targeted by rapist and killers.

I think only females should be allowed to carry when between the age of 18 and 20.

Nope. Discriminatory.

Campaign Veteran
    I keep reading that the Florida OC bill is backed by the NRA...is there a link to anywhere that confirms that? I've found nothing on the NRA-ILA website mentioning Florida OC. In fact, there is very little on any NRA site about OC...:|

How involved would the NRA be with Gold?

Once that control is seized, mark my words, no Green State will ever be Gold. Freedom doesn't come back from the dead, all evidence and history show this.

Quote Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
    I keep reading that the Florida OC bill is backed by the NRA...is there a link to anywhere that confirms that? I've found nothing on the NRA-ILA website mentioning Florida OC. In fact, there is very little on any NRA site about OC...:|
    The bill was authored by Marion P. Hammer, past president and current board member of the NRA. NRA lawyers reviewed the bill.

Thumbs up

Florida's proposed bill allows O/C to those with a CCW. I lived in Pa. at one time and you needed no permit to O/C, only CC. I like Florida's better. Pass a background check, get printed and complete a firearms safety class before you can wonder the streets armed. I for one can't wait. If I don't like it I can always CC again.

That's silly, no, that's ignorant and discriminatory. Many States allow OC for 18+ with no license/permit.

Indiana allows CC/OC with a LTCH for anyone 18+. Here you can also carry into a bar, oc/cc as well. Fear/paranoia can easily be dismissed by looking at States where it is already legal and seeing that the sky isn't falling there.

Quote Originally Posted by petrophase View Post
    You can't find it because the nra does NOT support it. In the early phases of OC the nra vehemently OPPOSED OC. With the easing of gun laws everywhere and the great OC movement surge, the nra is currently running silent.

The nra is not a friend of those who like black rifles, hi cap magazines, class 3/title 2 or open carriers.

As an aside, the nra may be seeing the writing on the wall as membership in the GOA and JPFO have soared while the nra continues to hemorrhage members. A past nra prez is actually sort of in favor of FLA OC ... thi smay be the nra's way of trying to weasel back into the pocketbooks of those members they have chased off with their shenanigans.

Oh and BTW, Florida does NOT have a 'CCW'. It is a CWL.
    Last edited by Prometheus; 01-19-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    That's silly, no, that's ignorant and discriminatory. Many States allow OC for 18+ with no license/permit.

Indiana allows CC/OC with a LTCH for anyone 18+. Here you can also carry into a bar, oc/cc as well. Fear/paranoia can easily be dismissed by looking at States where it is already legal and seeing that the sky isn't falling there.

You can't find it because the nra does NOT support it. In the early phases of OC the nra vehemently OPPOSED OC. With the easing of gun laws everywhere and the great OC movement surge, the nra is currently running silent.

The nra is not a friend of those who like black rifles, hi cap magazines, class 3/title 2 or open carriers.

As an aside, the nra may be seeing the writing on the wall as membership in the GOA and JPFO have soared while the nra continues to hemorrhage members. A past nra prez is actually sort of in favor of FLA OC ... thi smay be the nra's way of trying to weasel back into the pocketbooks of those members they have chased off with their shenanigans.

Oh and BTW, Florida does NOT have a 'CCW'. It is a CWL.
    Well, if you want to get technical, it's a CWFL!

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post

Once that control is seized, mark my words, no Green State will ever be Gold. Freedom doesn't come back from the dead, all evidence and history show this.

Arizona and Alaska have gone from permitted concealed carry to unlicensed concealed carry. I used to be against becoming a green state for reasons you state, but the Brady campaign convinced me otherwise. They're terrified of OC and they should be. If people OC, it's going to accelerate the norming of guns in public. I believe that one day Florida and many other states will have constitutional carry.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post

Except we're making history today. Georgia will likely become either full constitution carry or at the least remove OC from the licensing scheme this year. Keep pushing, folks. If we can't get gold star OC this year, then go for constitutional carry next year with no fees or licensing at all.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar

Please cite your source that the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action supports open carry bans or opposes open carry (not some wayward elected director of the NRA who walked off reservation).

Btw, it would behoove one to understand the time-lines of what happened 25 years ago. Preemption and concealed carry passed in the spring session of 1987. The Janet Reno open carry ban passed in an emergency session of the Legislature in October of 1987 on it's own standing. There was no "trade", but purely a spooked legislature that was taking a LOT of heat from the local and national news media being the first high population state passing shall-issue concealed carry as well as preemption, the same news media using the image of "scary gangstas open carrying" continuously for several weeks.
    Last edited by Gray Peterson; 01-20-2011 at 04:29 PM.

And to add, there are states that do not have age restrictions AT ALL for OC long gun carry....Idaho being one of them. A 15 year old can walk down the street with a loaded AR slung on his back.

Since men over 21 are the ones raping these young men they shouldn't be allowed to carry either.

Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    Florida's proposed bill allows O/C to those with a CCW. I lived in Pa. at one time and you needed no permit to O/C, only CC. I like Florida's better. Pass a background check, get printed and complete a firearms safety class before you can wonder the streets armed. I for one can't wait. If I don't like it I can always CC again.
    How can Florida's Proposed Licensed OC law possibly be an improvement over NOT having to beg permission and pay money?

Please, explain.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZO6Vettever View Post
    Why would you want a permit to do a Constitutional right?

No. That's a serious violation of peoples' rights. I know 17 year olds that are more mature than 30 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    Why would you want a permit to do a Constitutional right?
    Isn't the Constitution ALREADY that 'permit?'

I'm still trying to figure out how the Government dreamed up the authority to make OC illegal in the first place... I'm just not able to find a single scrap of law that gave government at any level, the authority to do so. It's all based in case law, where Judges have repeatedly legislated from the bench and had 'findings' that are the blatant opposite of the law.

It makes me wonder where these 'findings' are 'found.' I thought their 'findings' had to be 'found' in the law, which clearly states the opposite of what they say they 'found' in the law.....

Just more typical Floridian Only Ones Elitism....

New Jersey with Palm Trees.

An armed citizenry is a peaceful citizenry

This comment title is not original to me. I wish it were. I work with a law enforcement agency in Florida. I have asked a number of LEOs what they think about this movement in the Florida legislature to allow persons with concealed carry permits to openly carry their weapons in Florida.

I have not heard one negative comment from the LEOs I speak with about it. They are not at all concerned about our state or cities turning into "Dodge City." They are not concerned about road rage turning into shootings. They are not concerned about blood flowing in the streets caused by citizens "shooting it out" over minor or major disagreements. In fact these claims are VERBATIM the same claims made by concealed carry opponents when the law was passed in FL in 1987. Word for word. Didn't happen did it!

I urge everyone interested in open carry in FL to sign the opencarry.org petition found on the home page.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MLHARRISFL View Post
    This comment title is not original to me. I wish it were. I work with a law enforcement agency in Florida. I have asked a number of LEOs what they think about this movement in the Florida legislature to allow persons with concealed carry permits to openly carry their weapons in Florida.

I have not heard one negative comment from the LEOs I speak with about it. They are not at all concerned about our state or cities turning into "Dodge City." They are not concerned about road rage turning into shootings. They are not concerned about blood flowing in the streets caused by citizens "shooting it out" over minor or major disagreements. In fact these claims are VERBATIM the same claims made by concealed carry opponents when the law was passed in FL in 1987. Word for word. Didn't happen did it!

I urge everyone interested in open carry in FL to sign the opencarry.org petition found on the home page.
    Welcome to OCDO MLHARRISFL - good to hear and appreciate the support.

Hope that you stay and contribute here - the positive perspective from beyond the blue line is often lacking. You may need thicker than normal hide as some here get unnecessarily rough occasionally. From my POV a man is as he paints himself - you are off to a good start - thanks.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast