• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Today - NRA shoots to pass open carry law in Florida

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110107/NEWS01/101070319/1006/Change+would+relax+handgun+law

SNIP

A movement to let Floridians openly carry their handguns in a holster makes its first stop in Brevard with a rally in Melbourne on Saturday.

. . .

The rally comes at a time when the National Rifle Association is backing legislation that would permit residents with concealed-carry permits to wear their guns openly.
"We are correcting a problem that has existed for a while. We want to address that issue," said Marion Hammer, past president of the NRA and current Florida lobbyist for the organization.
Hammer said the bill under consideration is simply common sense.
"You are carrying a gun and it can become exposed. There is a very fine line there. This has created problems in the past," Hammer said about the bill that would let concealed carry permit holders carry their guns in public view.

. . .

Japle

The article wasn't bad, considering the rabid anti-gun stance of Florida Today.

I dug out my fishing gear and will be there in the morning.

Had to make a stop at Wal-Mart for a free license. The cops check for fishing licenses, but not carry licenses? We'll see.

Rich7553

The article wasn't bad, considering the rabid anti-gun stance of Florida Today.

I dug out my fishing gear and will be there in the morning.

Had to make a stop at Wal-Mart for a free license. The cops check for fishing licenses, but not carry licenses? We'll see.

How can they check for carry licenses? There isn't any such thing as an open carry license...yet.

lowlux

We need to rid the state of the permit too... after we pass open carry.

The only people who should have permits are people between 18 and 21.

Last edited:

lowlux

I think only females should be allowed to carry when between the age of 18 and 20.

They are the most targeted by rapist and killers.

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I keep reading that the Florida OC bill is backed by the NRA...is there a link to anywhere that confirms that? I've found nothing on the NRA-ILA website mentioning Florida OC. In fact, there is very little on any NRA site about OC...:|

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
How involved would the NRA be with Gold?

Once that control is seized, mark my words, no Green State will ever be Gold. Freedom doesn't come back from the dead, all evidence and history show this.

Rich7553

I keep reading that the Florida OC bill is backed by the NRA...is there a link to anywhere that confirms that? I've found nothing on the NRA-ILA website mentioning Florida OC. In fact, there is very little on any NRA site about OC...:|

The bill was authored by Marion P. Hammer, past president and current board member of the NRA. NRA lawyers reviewed the bill.

ZO6Vettever

Florida's proposed bill allows O/C to those with a CCW. I lived in Pa. at one time and you needed no permit to O/C, only CC. I like Florida's better. Pass a background check, get printed and complete a firearms safety class before you can wonder the streets armed. I for one can't wait. If I don't like it I can always CC again.

Prometheus

We need to rid the state of the permit too... after we pass open carry.

The only people who should have permits are people between 18 and 21.
That's silly, no, that's ignorant and discriminatory. Many States allow OC for 18+ with no license/permit.

Indiana allows CC/OC with a LTCH for anyone 18+. Here you can also carry into a bar, oc/cc as well. Fear/paranoia can easily be dismissed by looking at States where it is already legal and seeing that the sky isn't falling there.

You can't find it because the nra does NOT support it. In the early phases of OC the nra vehemently OPPOSED OC. With the easing of gun laws everywhere and the great OC movement surge, the nra is currently running silent.

The nra is not a friend of those who like black rifles, hi cap magazines, class 3/title 2 or open carriers.

As an aside, the nra may be seeing the writing on the wall as membership in the GOA and JPFO have soared while the nra continues to hemorrhage members. A past nra prez is actually sort of in favor of FLA OC ... thi smay be the nra's way of trying to weasel back into the pocketbooks of those members they have chased off with their shenanigans.

Oh and BTW, Florida does NOT have a 'CCW'. It is a CWL.

Last edited:

brboyer

That's silly, no, that's ignorant and discriminatory. Many States allow OC for 18+ with no license/permit.

Indiana allows CC/OC with a LTCH for anyone 18+. Here you can also carry into a bar, oc/cc as well. Fear/paranoia can easily be dismissed by looking at States where it is already legal and seeing that the sky isn't falling there.

You can't find it because the nra does NOT support it. In the early phases of OC the nra vehemently OPPOSED OC. With the easing of gun laws everywhere and the great OC movement surge, the nra is currently running silent.

The nra is not a friend of those who like black rifles, hi cap magazines, class 3/title 2 or open carriers.

As an aside, the nra may be seeing the writing on the wall as membership in the GOA and JPFO have soared while the nra continues to hemorrhage members. A past nra prez is actually sort of in favor of FLA OC ... thi smay be the nra's way of trying to weasel back into the pocketbooks of those members they have chased off with their shenanigans.

Oh and BTW, Florida does NOT have a 'CCW'. It is a CWL.

Well, if you want to get technical, it's a CWFL!

77zach

Once that control is seized, mark my words, no Green State will ever be Gold. Freedom doesn't come back from the dead, all evidence and history show this.

Arizona and Alaska have gone from permitted concealed carry to unlicensed concealed carry. I used to be against becoming a green state for reasons you state, but the Brady campaign convinced me otherwise. They're terrified of OC and they should be. If people OC, it's going to accelerate the norming of guns in public. I believe that one day Florida and many other states will have constitutional carry.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

Except we're making history today. Georgia will likely become either full constitution carry or at the least remove OC from the licensing scheme this year. Keep pushing, folks. If we can't get gold star OC this year, then go for constitutional carry next year with no fees or licensing at all.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

Please cite your source that the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action supports open carry bans or opposes open carry (not some wayward elected director of the NRA who walked off reservation).

Btw, it would behoove one to understand the time-lines of what happened 25 years ago. Preemption and concealed carry passed in the spring session of 1987. The Janet Reno open carry ban passed in an emergency session of the Legislature in October of 1987 on it's own standing. There was no "trade", but purely a spooked legislature that was taking a LOT of heat from the local and national news media being the first high population state passing shall-issue concealed carry as well as preemption, the same news media using the image of "scary gangstas open carrying" continuously for several weeks.

Last edited:

Kingfish

And to add, there are states that do not have age restrictions AT ALL for OC long gun carry....Idaho being one of them. A 15 year old can walk down the street with a loaded AR slung on his back.

xmanhockey7

I think only females should be allowed to carry when between the age of 18 and 20.

They are the most targeted by rapist and killers.

Since men over 21 are the ones raping these young men they shouldn't be allowed to carry either.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Florida's proposed bill allows O/C to those with a CCW. I lived in Pa. at one time and you needed no permit to O/C, only CC. I like Florida's better. Pass a background check, get printed and complete a firearms safety class before you can wonder the streets armed. I for one can't wait. If I don't like it I can always CC again.

How can Florida's Proposed Licensed OC law possibly be an improvement over NOT having to beg permission and pay money?

Please, explain.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Why would you want a permit to do a Constitutional right?