• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florida Today - NRA shoots to pass open carry law in Florida

77zach

We need to rid the state of the permit too... after we pass open carry.

The only people who should have permits are people between 18 and 21.

No. That's a serious violation of peoples' rights. I know 17 year olds that are more mature than 30 year olds.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Why would you want a permit to do a Constitutional right?

Isn't the Constitution ALREADY that 'permit?'

I'm still trying to figure out how the Government dreamed up the authority to make OC illegal in the first place... I'm just not able to find a single scrap of law that gave government at any level, the authority to do so. It's all based in case law, where Judges have repeatedly legislated from the bench and had 'findings' that are the blatant opposite of the law.

It makes me wonder where these 'findings' are 'found.' I thought their 'findings' had to be 'found' in the law, which clearly states the opposite of what they say they 'found' in the law.....

MLHARRISFL

An armed citizenry is a peaceful citizenry

This comment title is not original to me. I wish it were. I work with a law enforcement agency in Florida. I have asked a number of LEOs what they think about this movement in the Florida legislature to allow persons with concealed carry permits to openly carry their weapons in Florida.

I have not heard one negative comment from the LEOs I speak with about it. They are not at all concerned about our state or cities turning into "Dodge City." They are not concerned about road rage turning into shootings. They are not concerned about blood flowing in the streets caused by citizens "shooting it out" over minor or major disagreements. In fact these claims are VERBATIM the same claims made by concealed carry opponents when the law was passed in FL in 1987. Word for word. Didn't happen did it!

I urge everyone interested in open carry in FL to sign the opencarry.org petition found on the home page.:banana:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This comment title is not original to me. I wish it were. I work with a law enforcement agency in Florida. I have asked a number of LEOs what they think about this movement in the Florida legislature to allow persons with concealed carry permits to openly carry their weapons in Florida.

I have not heard one negative comment from the LEOs I speak with about it. They are not at all concerned about our state or cities turning into "Dodge City." They are not concerned about road rage turning into shootings. They are not concerned about blood flowing in the streets caused by citizens "shooting it out" over minor or major disagreements. In fact these claims are VERBATIM the same claims made by concealed carry opponents when the law was passed in FL in 1987. Word for word. Didn't happen did it!

I urge everyone interested in open carry in FL to sign the opencarry.org petition found on the home page.:banana:
Welcome to OCDO MLHARRISFL - good to hear and appreciate the support.

Hope that you stay and contribute here - the positive perspective from beyond the blue line is often lacking. You may need thicker than normal hide as some here get unnecessarily rough occasionally. From my POV a man is as he paints himself - you are off to a good start - thanks.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I have not heard one negative comment from the LEOs I speak with about it.

My experiences have been utterly contrary. Where are these cops you've been talking to?

I may be very anti-LEO, but I also do not ignore evidence and the experiences of others.

I'd like to meet these Cops who don't say that they would kill anyone who owns a gun. So far, that's what I've found. And most Gun Owners I've talked to say they would support it, too.

Most of my contacts have been in Hillsboro, Pinellas, Citrus, and Alachua Counties. It's been entirely unanimous. Gun Owners said OCers should be killed on site, and the Cops have all said that's what they will do.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
My experiences have been utterly contrary. Where are these cops you've been talking to?

I may be very anti-LEO, but I also do not ignore evidence and the experiences of others.

I'd like to meet these Cops who don't say that they would kill anyone who owns a gun. So far, that's what I've found. And most Gun Owners I've talked to say they would support it, too.

Most of my contacts have been in Hillsboro, Pinellas, Citrus, and Alachua Counties. It's been entirely unanimous. Gun Owners said OCers should be killed on site, and the Cops have all said that's what they will do.

Wow, my father is a gun owner in the Tampa Bay area and he enthusiastically supports open carry.

Me thinks you know and hang out with too many shady people who have no moral compunction about people being murdered for pretty much no reason.

Besides, it's going to get blasted all over the news thanks to the media down there that open carry is legal. Every officer will receive a copy of the bulletin. The law will likely not take immediate effect to get officers trained up.. No law enforcement officer in Florida will have qualified immunity for just flat out murdering an OCer. You'd have lawyers jumping at the bit to go after a police officer and his department to share in the millions with the estate and their families....

JeepSeller

I've tried to avoid being critical. --Moderated deleted personal attack-- Do you honestly think you're up to something special or new?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

:eek: Way over the top, one bridge too far.:shocker:

aadvark

Should Florida Enact Open Carry for Licensed Concealed Weapons and Firearm Licensees, then, Florida will Aline itself with: Tennessee, Mississippi, Georgia, Indiana, Conneticut, Minnesota, Rhode Island, North Dakota, Iowa, Hawaii, and Maryland; as being Open Carry Friendly with a License wherefore.

Although not Constitutional Carry or Open Carry Friendly..., it Certainly is a Step in The Right Direction for Licensed Law-Abiding Floridians!

77zach

I'm also anti-LEO because many of the laws they enforce are evil, and some of their tactics are stupid and over the top, and because I don't believe in the Nuremberg defense, but even I can't fathom any murders of OCers, should SB234 pass.

sailingwindward

We need more signatures on the petition for FL open carry

We need more signatures, everyone here from FL needs to get friends & family to go on and sign the petition, there are only about 5,000 signatures now, Texas has over 13,000.

There are to close to 1 million CWP holders in FL, does anyone know how to get that list?

brboyer

We need more signatures, everyone here from FL needs to get friends & family to go on and sign the petition, there are only about 5,000 signatures now, Texas has over 13,000.

There are to close to 1 million CWP holders in FL, does anyone know how to get that list?

does anyone know how to get that list?

You don't. It is confidential per statute.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I've tried to avoid being critical. --Moderated deleted personal attack-- Do you honestly think you're up to something special or new?

You know everything. You know all the people I talk to. You know everywhere I go. No one could have experiences different from yours. The world is only as YOU see it.

Whatever man, brboyer at least has a useful purpose. --Moderated deleted personal attack--

I've recently found 2 exceptions to my original post on the topic. One is a Stripper, the other is a Corrections Officer. It seems that as the media picked it up, the topic of discussion has spread to the minds of more people. Some of those people didn't buy into the BS.

2 months ago, no one had ever heard of it and absolutely wigged out at the mention of a visible gun. It was unanimous. Not so now. Interesting effect the media had with their fear-mongering and rhetoric. I just wonder how balanced the response is; is there a majority of people who see through it, or just a few? Are the Leftists so transparent that they are shooting themselves in the foot? Have people, as a collective, gotten smarter?

I've been Carrying my mags Open, empty holster. My key points in every discussion with people who mention it to me, is that CC doesn't prevent, it forces us to wait until it's too late, and even then, drawing from cover has problems when seconds count. We talk about things like heat and humidity, too. Lately, few have agreed, but few have given it real thought. I try to plant a seed of logic in their minds. Whether that mind is fertile or not, I cannot control.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
:eek: Way over the top, one bridge too far.:shocker:

It is what it is.... Killing the messenger is fun.

It may be, but public executions do not benefit OCDO.

I think the goal here is to further enhance OC in Florida. Your defined method of interaction with people (as a result of OCing mags and an empty holster) is well thought out.

I think that citizens in Florida are waking up and not swallowing the sour tripe that has been forced into them for so long.

brboyer

You know everything. You know all the people I talk to. You know everywhere I go. No one could have experiences different from yours. The world is only as YOU see it.

Whatever man, brboyer at least has a useful purpose. --Moderated deleted personal attack--

I've recently found 2 exceptions to my original post on the topic. One is a Stripper, the other is a Corrections Officer. It seems that as the media picked it up, the topic of discussion has spread to the minds of more people. Some of those people didn't buy into the BS.

2 months ago, no one had ever heard of it and absolutely wigged out at the mention of a visible gun. It was unanimous. Not so now. Interesting effect the media had with their fear-mongering and rhetoric. I just wonder how balanced the response is; is there a majority of people who see through it, or just a few? Are the Leftists so transparent that they are shooting themselves in the foot? Have people, as a collective, gotten smarter?

I've been Carrying my mags Open, empty holster. My key points in every discussion with people who mention it to me, is that CC doesn't prevent, it forces us to wait until it's too late, and even then, drawing from cover has problems when seconds count. We talk about things like heat and humidity, too. Lately, few have agreed, but few have given it real thought. I try to plant a seed of logic in their minds. Whether that mind is fertile or not, I cannot control.

--Moderated deleted personal attack--
Ooooo, what did I miss? Someone PM it to me, please. I need a laugh.

JeepSeller

--Moderated deleted personal attack--
Ooooo, what did I miss? Someone PM it to me, please. I need a laugh.

I'm afraid I missed it myself. To be blunt, I don't even remember what I said in MY post that got moderated.

I don't get clipped like that often. Whatever I said must have been a good-un. ROFL

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think that citizens in Florida are waking up and not swallowing the sour tripe that has been forced into them for so long.

I don't share your optimism. A lifetime in Florida has taught me to expect the worst without exception.

Of hundreds of people I've spoken to, only two of them thought that killing OCers on sight was a bad idea. And then, only very recently did I find these people. It's too soon to say, statistically, if the media's screed is turning against itself.

A Pessimist is merely an Optimist with Experience. I have LOTS of Experience. Sometimes, I wish I didn't.... I might have a rosier outlook if I didn't know better.