• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm closing my Wachovia account this month - no more "gun free zones" for me

Strelok

I'm closing my Wachovia account this month - no more "gun free zones" for me

I've been increasingly unhappy with Wachovia in the last year (where I've had an account since 2006). Last fall I noticed a "No guns" sign on the door of the branch in Forest and I have since found out that this is corporate policy. In the last month I have moved my direct deposit to an account at Beacon Credit Union (better service and accounts anyway) and I prepared this letter that I will be emailing and mailing to Wachovia's corporate addresses:

(name redacted)

To Wachovia’s management,
My name is //, and I have been an account holder (free student checking) since 2006. I will be closing my account this month (January, 2011) and taking my business to another bank. My reasons for doing so are as follows:

1. Wachovia has continued the policies of First Union bank by banning law abiding citizens from carrying their handguns inside of the bank. This idea of a “gun-free zone” does nothing but inform criminals that the law abiding customers inside of the bank have been disarmed for their convenience. I will be taking my business to an institution that respects the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and their customer’s rights.

2. My “free student checking” account had fees applied to it last January.

3. Wachovia policy seems to require their employees to attempt to up-sell additional accounts to their customers. While I understand the need to increase Wachovia’s business I do not appreciate being solicited while trying to conduct business on the account that I already have.

Most of my business with Wachovia has been pleasant in the past and I regret the fact that I have to close my account. I hope that Wachovia’s management finds this letter useful in creating future polices.

Sincerely,
//

wylde007

Wachovia is owned by Wells Fargo.

By the end of this year there will be no "Wachovia".

Wells Fargo policy is to abide by the laws of the location in which the branch is located. Policy will change due simply to the changeover.

This one's been run up the flagpole already. Patience.

nuc65

Activist Member
Yes, apparently the Well's Fargo branches don't display this sign, and anecdotaly I have been told that Wachovia has already been directed to remove the sign. Although, the branch I use still has it.

Strelok

That's great to hear! I'm going to go ahead and send my letter anyway as my other two points still stand and maybe Wells Fargo will get the message that their customers care about second amendment rights.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
I'm glad you sent the letter Strelok. I don't do business with Wachovia directly, but I do have a Wells Fargo mortgage, which I have recently chosen to pay in the drive-through lane of the local Wachovias to keep the Post Office from getting my support. The one time I did go in a Wachovia to pay my mortgage, the people were friendly enough and they asked me if I had any other accounts through the bank. I responded in a polite way something along the lines of "I chose when I moved here to not do business with Wachovia because of the sign on your door that prohibits me from carrying my firearms to protect my life and health. The only reason I'm here today is because I do business with the company that has taken over Wachovia and I'm already disarmed by being at work, but thanks for the offers!" I've been intending to complain to Wells Fargo, but again haven't found the dang round tuit that I figured I'd need first. :)

Strelok

Well, emailing didn't go very far:

"I will be happy to assist you with closing your account."

That about sums up the email. Hopefully the snail-mail letter will make it further up the chain.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
That's not surprising. I've heard various Wachovia employees whine about being overtaken by Wells Fargo. Bank of America has no issue with OC or CC if you ever need another bank.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I've been carrying in my local Wachovia for over a year now, though concealed. They still have their "No Guns" small diagonal sign up, but I had a conversation with one of the employees before I did this. He is very pro-gun, indicated that he had no problem with someone carrying in his branch, and then he said this. "Did you notice the gun that the red line line is drawn through? It's a revolver.... so carry a semi-auto". So basically, he was telling me to go ahead and carry and not worry about it.

And I frequently have asked if they are operating under Wells Fargo policies and procedures to which they have answered that they were. So either they have neglected to remove the sign or they just ignore it. Because when I CC in there, I deliberately wear a shirt (or jacket) that allows the bottom half of the holster and the muzzle to show. Not one comment or remark yet about that so I imagine they are good to go.

Last edited:

WhatTimeIsIt?

I closed an account with Wachovia a couple years ago after becoming aware of their firearms policy, as well as an account with Bank of Hampton Roads earlier this year after they posted no weapons allowed on their doors. Not only is it an extreme case of irrationality and wishful thinking to believe that a sign banning guns will stop a bank robber, but it is terribly immoral to interfere with a man's moral duty to defend his life. I applaud your decision to close your account and send that letter.

Dreamer

Although the repressive firearms policies of many banks is something we ALL disagree with, and is a good reason to not use these big banks for your personal finance, it's not the BEST reason...

The BEST reason to take ALL your financial business away from banks (and put into Credit Unions) is because banks are all part of the Federal Reserve system, and therefore are all complicit in the systematic rape and pillage of our economy here and the economies of many nations abroad.

Put your money in a Credit Union.

Banks are evil.

nuc65

Activist Member
I've been carrying in my local Wachovia for over a year now, though concealed. They still have their "No Guns" small diagonal sign up, but I had a conversation with one of the employees before I did this. He is very pro-gun, indicated that he had no problem with someone carrying in his branch, and then he said this. "Did you notice the gun that the red line line is drawn through? It's a revolver.... so carry a semi-auto". So basically, he was telling me to go ahead and carry and not worry about it.

And I frequently have asked if they are operating under Wells Fargo policies and procedures to which they have answered that they were. So either they have neglected to remove the sign or they just ignore it. Because when I CC in there, I deliberately wear a shirt (or jacket) that allows the bottom half of the holster and the muzzle to show. Not one comment or remark yet about that so I imagine they are good to go.

I carry a revolver...

Snazuolu

i've never dealt with Wachovia, but my mother does and she really hates the bank. For one, it takes an act of Congress to cash a check there apparently, and she has to go to the bank routinely and complain about them adding charges to her account in regards to getting a copy of the checks sent to her house each month. i bank at Suntrust personally.

wylde007

I guess I'm the odd man out. I have never had a problem with Wachovia or Wells Fargo. I have numerous accounts with both (mortgage, checking, line-of-credit, etc) and they have always given me excellent service.

I carry in their local branches regularly, sometimes open but usually concealed because of the signs.

I have been told that they will oblige the Wells Fargo policies once the switchover is complete. Virginia is one of the last states in which the aesthetic change will be done. Probably another six months or so and the signs will be down.

I do agree with Dreamer - banks are evil... but I need them at present. We will see how it plays out down the road.

celticredneck

All of the Wachovia branches which I deal with in the tri-cities area still have the gun free zone signs up, but the branch in Amelia courthouse has no signage. Maybe, they have already started removing the signs.