• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm closing my Wachovia account this month - no more "gun free zones" for me

TFred

Thank you. I'll use 'search' next time.

I need a bank with branches in Lynchburg and Charlottesville.
Any suggestions?
No biggie. Search is a major pain to use since they had to turn on the reCAPTCHA "human confirmation" feature. I'm human and about half the time I can't read the code words they use, and have to try again. Very frustrating.

TFred

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Take it easy nuc65 there are plenty of 'Whatever Courthouse' municipalities around VA. That spaghetti tonight didn't get you all riled up did it? :)

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Heading east out of Lynchburg it's hard not to go through at least a couple 'Whatever Courthouse' municipalities. We'll go through two or three on the way to Lobby Day next week.

TFred

All of the Wachovia branches which I deal with in the tri-cities area still have the gun free zone signs up, but the branch in Amelia courthouse has no signage. Maybe, they have already started removing the signs.

If it is inside a courthouse does it need a sign?

Amelia Courthouse is the name of the municipality.

You need to learn your Virginia geography better.
In all fairness, the initial reference was actually a typo: "Amelia courthouse", so even if one were aware of the municipality named "Amelia Courthouse", the reference would be at the very least, ambiguous...

:D

TFred

kenny

I've never had a problem at my Wachcovia branch that is located located in Richmond. It is kind of a knee jerk reaction. Just wait until the Well Fargo sign comes down or better yet talk to your local branch manager, I did.

celticredneck

In all fairness, the initial reference was actually a typo: "Amelia courthouse", so even if one were aware of the municipality named "Amelia Courthouse", the reference would be at the very least, ambiguous...

:D

TFred

To those of us who live here, it has always been called, "The Courthouse, or Amelia Courthouse". I do believe the actual map name is "Amelia" though. But, as residents, we would never say we are going to Amelia to pay our taxes. We would say we are going up to the courthouse to pay our taxes. And, the taxes are paid in an entirely different building than the court. To us, Amelia is the entire county and we are all residents of Amelia. Here in rural Virginia, the usage of the word "courthouse" to mean the county seat is very common, and thus is not a typo to anyone other than city residents.

wylde007

It wasn't to me, and I live in Virginia Beach.

It surprises me how people perceive directness as rudeness.

OK, so the comment about geography? It's not like I said "You need to learn Virginia geography better you knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, inbred degenerate" is it? :lol:

No, and that is not how it was intended.
:lol: Don't take it personally Nuc. It wasn't meant that way.

I'm rude on very rare occasions
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-17-2011-Richmond-VA-FACEBOOK-Link-Too!/page3

Wylde is just focused:lol::lol:
Cheers. And how. Nanner Dance just to reiterate: :banana:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
To those of us who live here, it has always been called, "The Courthouse, or Amelia Courthouse". I do believe the actual map name is "Amelia" though. But, as residents, we would never say we are going to Amelia to pay our taxes. We would say we are going up to the courthouse to pay our taxes. And, the taxes are paid in an entirely different building than the court. To us, Amelia is the entire county and we are all residents of Amelia. Here in rural Virginia, the usage of the word "courthouse" to mean the county seat is very common, and thus is not a typo to anyone other than city residents.

Yep, that's the norm in rural and used to be rural, Va.

Hanover Courthouse
Lunenburg Courthouse
Charlotte Courthouse
Etc.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Been in trouble with the reference police here too by referring to doing business at the Chesterfield Courthouse while armed. Now I remind myself to add the word "Complex" so I don't cause the the nuvo residents to choke on their own spittle.

Old timers use "courthouse" to refer to any and everything at the county seat of government. Going to court or to the "courts building" makes the distinction.

You all ain't from around here, are you. :lol:

sidestreet

We were just talkin' about banks and credit unions at Surry House...,

also at the OC breakfast at Cracker Barrel and I hope our friend has been able to get a membership at a local credit union. Banks have their place and my philosophy and practice is to only use them when it's ALL to MY advantage. In most cases, the average person is way better off dealing with a credit union if at all possible. Many credit unions are now making themselves available to a number of folks, not just employees of certain organizations. One good point was made at breakfast is that it seems that some credit unions can actually get too big and then start to lose some of their "charm", so to speak. Not that there aren't good folks at the banks, because there are, but there's a different agenda at the bank.

Wachovia was taken over by First Union, basically because they needed a new name. First Union had an absolutely terrible reputation inside and out. Banks typically like to put great "spin" on these acquisitions by calling them "mergers", as it sounds so friendly and mutual. Nah!

Try a credit union if you can.

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Wachovia was taken over by First Union, basically because they needed a new name. First Union had an absolutely terrible reputation inside and out. Banks typically like to put great "spin" on these acquisitions by calling them "mergers", as it sounds so friendly and mutual. Nah!

Control of Wachovia was bought by Wells Fargo who has a very friendly policy. Basically they follow state laws. The local transition has been slow, but is occurring.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/SmartHome/story?id=5946486&page=1

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Control of Wachovia was bought by Wells Fargo who has a very friendly policy. Basically they follow state laws. The local transition has been slow, but is occurring.
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/SmartHome/story?id=5946486&page=1

sidestreet

Yep Grape, Wachovia was "lately" bought by Wells Fargo...,

but before Wells Fargo bought Wachovia, it was taken over, bought out, merged, however you want to put it, by First Union a few or more years ago, and kept the Wachovia name, but you can rest assured that First Union was running the show. It was only a few or more years before that, when Wachovia "merged" with Central Fidelity Bank, and when they did, Wachovia made it very clear that they wanted to be the largest bank they could possibly be, whether by acquiring other banks or by being acquired by other banks, so eventually, I guess they got what they wanted. Sorry I didn't make that clear, but you're right, Wells fargo is the "latest" concern to "buy out " Wachovia, and it wasn't because they needed a name change, although I haven't checked the news in the last couple of hours, lol!!!

I think that's why when I had a choice, I chose a "similar" field with a different "agenda". Banks have had the nasty habit lately of "merging" every few years or so, and if you're lucky, you can hold on to a job, but that's pretty "iffy", and I needed to think of my family, so I took something a little more "secure", but honestly, I LOVED my job at the bank and the folks I was working with, and they held my deepest regard and respect. I don't expect to ever have another even comparable job situation anywhere close to that one, shame...

sidestreet

we are not equal, we will never be equal, but we must be relentless.

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
It wasn't to me, and I live in Virginia Beach.

It surprises me how people perceive directness as rudeness.

OK, so the comment about geography? It's not like I said "You need to learn Virginia geography better you knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing, inbred degenerate" is it? :lol:

No, and that is not how it was intended.Cheers. And how. Nanner Dance just to reiterate: :banana:

My knuckle-draggin' knee-jerk reaction was 'same to you', with a couple of sailor terms thrown in. I am originally from NM so a local, regional reference would not be known to me. I did look on a map and saw Amelia but no Courthouse. I imagine I know geography a little better than some, but now that I know your terminology I probably won't be as confused should I choose to listen to it again. IHow should one percieve an insult wrapped into an imperative, at least where I am from it is considered a double entedre, but maybe I was giving too much credit.

Anyway, no harm and I learned something in the process. Since I was only asking to learn even if my perception was off.