Thread: Bellevue police shooting: What would/could YOU have done?

Bellevue police shooting: What would/could YOU have done?

".. Yesterday morning’s fatal shooting of a knife-wielding man by Bellevue police at a Chevron gas station has this morning’s Seattle Times and on-line Seattle PI.com reader feedback pages jammed with comments reacting to the incident, which may have been captured on the store’s security video...

".. Based on available information, it appears that the police acted properly; that is, in the vernacular, this probably was a “righteous shoot,” which this column prefers to call a “clean shoot.”

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...d-could-you-do

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2g3odlg

Everybody IN the store: draw and demand he drop it or get out, then if he leaves, lock the door behind him and call 911. If he declines to drop it or leave, and advances toward you, fire at will (while ensuring a safe backdrop).

He's outside the store, I'm inside: Lock him out and call 911. If he breaks down the door, draw & fire at will.

-G20

ETA: I should clarify that in the first instance, a very clear plan for trying to subtly position one's self in a manner where the suspect would be alone in the line of fire, and not have an easy opportunity to take someone in a physical "hostage" position would be imperative.
    Last edited by G20-IWB24/7; 01-07-2011 at 01:26 PM.

What would/could YOU have done?

Clearly there is a huge difference in information by being there and reading about everything occurring after the fact.

As a customer there is a very good chance one would be unaware of the statement to the clerk that to call 911 as he is holding the store hostage.
    Thus until such time there is a presented threat that you personally are aware of there would be no response.
    If one was to become aware of a verbal conflict then likely situational awareness is kicking in until such time a threat is perceived then taking a shot would be possible played upon the weighing the factors of present threat and back stop.
    I feel if he was coming at me with a knife and threatening with no option of moving from side to side, the back stop would take a back seat.

After the fact personally this was suicide by cop.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

At least this person't knife wasn't folded and he was actually making threats.

IMHO the shooting was justified and would have been so regardless of whether he was met by Police or an armed citizen intent on preventing him from doing harm.

Sounds like this person had some "issues" either mental or drug induced. No matter, if not stopped, the possibility of great physical harm was there and the officers acted as they should. No complaints from me.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    <SNIP>
    After the fact personally this was suicide by cop.
    +1

With the information given at this point, I totally agree.

Provided they didn't shoot him at 25 yards or some ridiculous range. I notice that factor is not given in any of the available articles as yet.

What would I do? I know what I think I would do, but when the adrenaline hits, tunnel vision sets in, blood pressure spikes all the things I would do disappear. No one knows what they will do until it happens. One can train for such an episode, but even then there will be changes that one would never expect.

I would like to put forth the concept that there is a huge difference in ones physical emotions and reactions from being caught by surprise then responding to a known incident.
    Difference in this being the one threatened to witnessing another being threatened, where you are in this incident will determine the amount of stress is placed upon you.

Regardless if I was being threatened, create distance and engage, if not being threatened and another is, depending on urgency move and engage or engage.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Dr View Post
    What would I do? I know what I think I would do, but when the adrenaline hits, tunnel vision sets in, blood pressure spikes all the things I would do disappear. No one knows what they will do until it happens. One can train for such an episode, but even then there will be changes that one would never expect.
    +1 And every adrenaline inducing incident is different.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    +1

Provided they didn't shoot him at 25 yards or some ridiculous range. I notice that factor is not given in any of the available articles as yet.
    the last part of your post is unfair. for pierce county sheriff the ruel is man with a knife can-should be deamed deadly at 30 feet from a posible victum for a deputy. befor you say foul it only takes a average person one second to walk 5 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCDH View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    the last part of your post is unfair. for pierce county sheriff the ruel is man with a knife can-should be deamed deadly at 30 feet from a posible victum for a deputy. befor you say foul it only takes a average person one second to walk 5 feet.
    Check your math. 30 feet is still a lot closer than 25 yards (75 feet). I agree with FMCDH that 25 yards would be a ridiculous range.
    No right is held more sacred, or is more carefully guarded, by the common law than the right of every individual to the possession and control of his own person, free from all restraint or interference of others, unless by clear and unquestionable authority of law. Union Pacific Rail Co. vs Botsford as quoted in Terry v Ohio.

Talk to your cats about catnip - before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    http://www.asknumbers.com/YardsToFeetConversion.aspx

(Sigh)