• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellevue police shooting: What would/could YOU have done?

Dave Workman

".. Yesterday morning’s fatal shooting of a knife-wielding man by Bellevue police at a Chevron gas station has this morning’s Seattle Times and on-line Seattle PI.com reader feedback pages jammed with comments reacting to the incident, which may have been captured on the store’s security video...

".. Based on available information, it appears that the police acted properly; that is, in the vernacular, this probably was a “righteous shoot,” which this column prefers to call a “clean shoot.”

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/bellevue-cops-shot-man-what-would-could-you-do

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/2g3odlg

G20-IWB24/7

Everybody IN the store: draw and demand he drop it or get out, then if he leaves, lock the door behind him and call 911. If he declines to drop it or leave, and advances toward you, fire at will (while ensuring a safe backdrop).

He's outside the store, I'm inside: Lock him out and call 911. If he breaks down the door, draw & fire at will.

-G20

ETA: I should clarify that in the first instance, a very clear plan for trying to subtly position one's self in a manner where the suspect would be alone in the line of fire, and not have an easy opportunity to take someone in a physical "hostage" position would be imperative.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
What would/could YOU have done?

Clearly there is a huge difference in information by being there and reading about everything occurring after the fact.

As a customer there is a very good chance one would be unaware of the statement to the clerk that to call 911 as he is holding the store hostage.
Thus until such time there is a presented threat that you personally are aware of there would be no response.
If one was to become aware of a verbal conflict then likely situational awareness is kicking in until such time a threat is perceived then taking a shot would be possible played upon the weighing the factors of present threat and back stop.
I feel if he was coming at me with a knife and threatening with no option of moving from side to side, the back stop would take a back seat.

After the fact personally this was suicide by cop.

amlevin

At least this person't knife wasn't folded and he was actually making threats.

IMHO the shooting was justified and would have been so regardless of whether he was met by Police or an armed citizen intent on preventing him from doing harm.

Sounds like this person had some "issues" either mental or drug induced. No matter, if not stopped, the possibility of great physical harm was there and the officers acted as they should. No complaints from me.

FMCDH

<SNIP>
After the fact personally this was suicide by cop.

+1

With the information given at this point, I totally agree.

Provided they didn't shoot him at 25 yards or some ridiculous range. I notice that factor is not given in any of the available articles as yet.

Trigger Dr

What would I do? I know what I think I would do, but when the adrenaline hits, tunnel vision sets in, blood pressure spikes all the things I would do disappear. No one knows what they will do until it happens. One can train for such an episode, but even then there will be changes that one would never expect.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I would like to put forth the concept that there is a huge difference in ones physical emotions and reactions from being caught by surprise then responding to a known incident.
Difference in this being the one threatened to witnessing another being threatened, where you are in this incident will determine the amount of stress is placed upon you.

Regardless if I was being threatened, create distance and engage, if not being threatened and another is, depending on urgency move and engage or engage.

sudden valley gunner

What would I do? I know what I think I would do, but when the adrenaline hits, tunnel vision sets in, blood pressure spikes all the things I would do disappear. No one knows what they will do until it happens. One can train for such an episode, but even then there will be changes that one would never expect.

+1 And every adrenaline inducing incident is different.

Edgar

+1

Provided they didn't shoot him at 25 yards or some ridiculous range. I notice that factor is not given in any of the available articles as yet.

the last part of your post is unfair. for pierce county sheriff the ruel is man with a knife can-should be deamed deadly at 30 feet from a posible victum for a deputy. befor you say foul it only takes a average person one second to walk 5 feet.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
+1

the last part of your post is unfair. for pierce county sheriff the ruel is man with a knife can-should be deamed deadly at 30 feet from a posible victum for a deputy. befor you say foul it only takes a average person one second to walk 5 feet.

Check your math. 30 feet is still a lot closer than 25 yards (75 feet). I agree with FMCDH that 25 yards would be a ridiculous range.