Thread: Get ready for gender-neutral passports

Get ready for gender-neutral passports

The words “mother” and “father” will be removed from U.S. passport applications and replaced with gender neutral terminology, according to the State Dept.

“The words in the old form were ‘mother’ and ‘father’,” said Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Passport Services Brenda Sprague. “They are now ‘parent one’ and ‘parent two.’

http://radio.foxnews.com/2011/01/07/...passport-apps/

I have to go lie down 'cos my head hurts.

They should just tell Elton John to not visit.....
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    They should just tell Elton John to not visit.....
    or should it be actually it is

I know about "Who da baby daddy" but "Who da baby mama?"

They should allow a choice in the reference. Maybe someone wants the parent referred to as mother, father, stepparent, parent 1, 2 or even parent 3.

If the parents are of the same sex, how about mother 1 and mother 2 for example?

What if parent 1 dies, does parent 2 still stay as parent 2 or are they then reclassified as parent 1?

From a personal standpoint though, I couldn't give a care about it. To me its not a big deal.

Thank god they fixed this huge problem.

I can attest to this issue. What comes up when you have to two mothers is there is the question, "who is the mother of this child." We answer,"we both are." They say, "I'm sorry, who is the mother of this child." We answer, "we are both the legal parent of the children." *Stupid look on their face*, unable to process how that could be possible. --Well,...and then the sperm fertilizes the egg...--

I can see how this would be an issue for same-sex families.

I should probably not respond, as this is likely a troll thread.

I should add, this is not gender neutral in the sense that the individual has no gender marker on their passport. It is neutral in the reference to the parents of the child.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 01-07-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I can attest to this issue. What comes up when you have to two mothers is there is the question, "who is the mother of this child." We answer,"we both are." They say, "I'm sorry, who is the mother of this child." We answer, "we are both the legal parent of the children." *Stupid look on their face*, unable to process how that could be possible. --Well,...and then the sperm fertilizes the egg...--

I can see how this would be an issue for same-sex families.

I should probably not respond, as this is likely a troll thread.

I should add, this is not gender neutral in the sense that the individual has no gender marker on their passport. It is neutral in the reference to the parents of the child.
    Frankly, I think it is very proper for you to respond to this thread. In fact, I appreciate having your viewpoint on it. So often with similar topics, it can be difficult to truly understand how such an issue feels to those it directly affects. Yes, it is likely that it was a "troll," but thank you for letting others know how it is for those that it affects.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

This is good for the many of us who have step-parents who have been, for all intents and purposes, parents to us with our primary-parents.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

What an outrage.. not really. The comments on the site are quite amusing.
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. — Carl Sagan

When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    This is good for the many of us who have step-parents who have been, for all intents and purposes, parents to us with our primary-parents.
    I hadn't thought about that. I would imagine step-parents run into this issue also. With so many things tightening down, especially with child and human trafficing, this could be a bigger issue if they didn't change this designation. Will it make any of us safer, no...but less of a pain for the people who should not have this be a pain in the first place.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by oldbanger View Post
    “They are now ‘parent one’ and ‘parent two.’
    Ok, so who is parent one, and who is parent two? I feel a lot of intramarital squabbling coming on...
    Last edited by since9; 01-08-2011 at 03:20 AM.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Ok, so who is parent one, and who is parent two? I feel a lot of intramarital squabbling coming on...
    If its diaper changing please sign me up as parent number one.

Rather than changing it to parent one and two they should change it to Guardian one, two, three etc. With the fact that a large percentage of children are now living with someone other than their "birth" parents then the guardian name would be more appropriate.

But if the purpose of the question is to determine the actual citizenship of the applicant then I am not sure of the legal ramification of any of it. Both my sister and my brother were adopted. We assumed that their parents were US citizens but were not absolutely sure so I don't know what their status would be in a legal sense other than we do have a birth certificate stating that my mother and father are the parents of them.

Banned
    How AFMUWHAHATRHCTTG* One and AFMUWHAHATRHCTTG* Two.

*Adult Familial Member Unit Who Has Abdicated His (or Her) Authority To Raise His (or Her) Child To The Government.

I mean, if we are going to go all PC, let's go all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by MK View Post
    If its diaper changing please sign me up as parent number one.

good one.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post

Yep, they should've labeled it "Parent 1" and "Parent A", then you wouldn't have those problems.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallschirmjäger View Post
    Yep, they should've labeled it "Parent 1" and "Parent A", then you wouldn't have those problems.
    Are we sure this is not a coordinated campaign between State and TSA to neuter everbody so we'll quit bitc*ing about being groped in airports?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    Are we sure this is not a coordinated campaign between State and TSA to neuter everbody so we'll quit bitc*ing about being groped in airports?
    Its possible. While getting groped, you will be too busy arguing if you are Parent 1 or Parent 2, or you are plain sneetch or a star bellied sneetch.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider116 View Post
    SNIP star bellied sneetch.
    The next "only one" cop who posts around here is gonna hate you for reminding me of that story.