• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get ready for gender-neutral passports

oldbanger

The words “mother” and “father” will be removed from U.S. passport applications and replaced with gender neutral terminology, according to the State Dept.

“The words in the old form were ‘mother’ and ‘father’,” said Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Passport Services Brenda Sprague. “They are now ‘parent one’ and ‘parent two.’

http://radio.foxnews.com/2011/01/07/feds-approve-gender-neutral-passport-apps/

I have to go lie down 'cos my head hurts.

MK

They should allow a choice in the reference. Maybe someone wants the parent referred to as mother, father, stepparent, parent 1, 2 or even parent 3.

If the parents are of the same sex, how about mother 1 and mother 2 for example?

What if parent 1 dies, does parent 2 still stay as parent 2 or are they then reclassified as parent 1?

From a personal standpoint though, I couldn't give a care about it. To me its not a big deal.

Beretta92FSLady

I can attest to this issue. What comes up when you have to two mothers is there is the question, "who is the mother of this child." We answer,"we both are." They say, "I'm sorry, who is the mother of this child." We answer, "we are both the legal parent of the children." *Stupid look on their face*, unable to process how that could be possible. --Well,...and then the sperm fertilizes the egg...--

I can see how this would be an issue for same-sex families.

I should probably not respond, as this is likely a troll thread.

I should add, this is not gender neutral in the sense that the individual has no gender marker on their passport. It is neutral in the reference to the parents of the child.

Last edited:

wrightme

I can attest to this issue. What comes up when you have to two mothers is there is the question, "who is the mother of this child." We answer,"we both are." They say, "I'm sorry, who is the mother of this child." We answer, "we are both the legal parent of the children." *Stupid look on their face*, unable to process how that could be possible. --Well,...and then the sperm fertilizes the egg...--

I can see how this would be an issue for same-sex families.

I should probably not respond, as this is likely a troll thread.

I should add, this is not gender neutral in the sense that the individual has no gender marker on their passport. It is neutral in the reference to the parents of the child.
Frankly, I think it is very proper for you to respond to this thread. In fact, I appreciate having your viewpoint on it. So often with similar topics, it can be difficult to truly understand how such an issue feels to those it directly affects. Yes, it is likely that it was a "troll," but thank you for letting others know how it is for those that it affects.

Tawnos

This is good for the many of us who have step-parents who have been, for all intents and purposes, parents to us with our primary-parents.

Beretta92FSLady

This is good for the many of us who have step-parents who have been, for all intents and purposes, parents to us with our primary-parents.

I hadn't thought about that. I would imagine step-parents run into this issue also. With so many things tightening down, especially with child and human trafficing, this could be a bigger issue if they didn't change this designation. Will it make any of us safer, no...but less of a pain for the people who should not have this be a pain in the first place.

PT111

Rather than changing it to parent one and two they should change it to Guardian one, two, three etc. With the fact that a large percentage of children are now living with someone other than their "birth" parents then the guardian name would be more appropriate.

But if the purpose of the question is to determine the actual citizenship of the applicant then I am not sure of the legal ramification of any of it. Both my sister and my brother were adopted. We assumed that their parents were US citizens but were not absolutely sure so I don't know what their status would be in a legal sense other than we do have a birth certificate stating that my mother and father are the parents of them.

eye95

How AFMUWHAHATRHCTTG* One and AFMUWHAHATRHCTTG* Two.

*Adult Familial Member Unit Who Has Abdicated His (or Her) Authority To Raise His (or Her) Child To The Government.

I mean, if we are going to go all PC, let's go all the way.

wrightme

If its diaper changing please sign me up as parent number one.

I_see_what_you_did_there_cat_RE_More_funnies_for_you_all-s480x360-106842.jpg

good one.

palerider116

Are we sure this is not a coordinated campaign between State and TSA to neuter everbody so we'll quit bitc*ing about being groped in airports?

Its possible. While getting groped, you will be too busy arguing if you are Parent 1 or Parent 2, or you are plain sneetch or a star bellied sneetch.