Thread: New to The website

New to The website

I just wanted to introduce myself as i am a strong supporter of open carry and have been doing so for about a year now. I'm 19 years old and currently live in Kalamazoo and attending Western Michigan University. I attended the open carry picnic in Wyandotte last year that was a huge success in my book.

I would like to hold an open carry picnic in Kalamazoo during the upcoming summer. I want to show the students of this city that carrying a pistol does not make you a criminal. I am hoping to become the campus leader at WMU of "Students for concealed carry on campus." I'm hoping to push legislation through that is in committee that would allow for concealed carry on campus and several other locations.

Welcome to OCDO!

Campus Concealed Carry is definitely an area that needs work on. Please keep us up to date on the plans!

Welcome aboard KindyJ!

Welcome aboard! I too support this because of all the mass shootings in schools over the last several decades they could've been stopped by law abiding citizens carrying whether it be teacher or students...just saying
    Only two have offered their lives for you. A Soldier and Jesus....

I'm really working on the Campus carry the most. I've been doing an empty holster protest to try and create awareness with a good result. The school has an ROTC program. So i have many supporters.

When you are ready to organize you picnic let me know and I will be glad to help! I am in Lawrence!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Thumbs up Good Man!

Welcome.

Please keep us informed as things progress.

Welcome to OCDO!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

Regular Member quarter horseman's Avatar

Welcome

Hello welcome to OC! we usually have a meet and eat in Kzoo once or twice a year hopefully we will have another one here soon.
    Last edited by quarter horseman; 01-08-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Welcome aboard! All I can advise is that you read, read read.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." - President George Washington

"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself." - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by cmdr_iceman71 View Post
    Welcome aboard! All I can advise is that you read, read read.
    And I advise "one step at a time" in the sense of picking the places you OC. Start by OC'ing on your property while doing yardwork or something, then work your way up to other places, adding one place at a time. As you contemplate adding places, review the law to be sure it's legal and come on here and ask questions if you are not sure.

Welcome aboard!
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Kindyj View Post
    I just wanted to introduce myself as i am a strong supporter of open carry and have been doing so for about a year now. I'm 19 years old and currently live in Kalamazoo and attending Western Michigan University. I attended the open carry picnic in Wyandotte last year that was a huge success in my book.

I would like to hold an open carry picnic in Kalamazoo during the upcoming summer. I want to show the students of this city that carrying a pistol does not make you a criminal. I am hoping to become the campus leader at WMU of "Students for concealed carry on campus." I'm hoping to push legislation through that is in committee that would allow for concealed carry on campus and several other locations.
    Nice to hear there is someone else in Kalamazoo open carrying. I'm 18 and started open carrying during the summer a little after my 18th birthday. Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or get my number.

Welcome
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    Luke 22:36
    God Bless

Welcome Welcome!!!!!

Welcome. I OC in Kalamazoo on a semi-regular basis. Mostly at night and in a few habitual places. I've never had a problem.

Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. – Thomas Paine

Campaign Veteran smellslikemichigan's Avatar
    welcome
    "If it ain't loaded and cocked it don't shoot." - Rooster Cogburn
    http://www.graystatemovie.com/

We need more of you, Kindyj. Welcome!

WMU Concealed Carry

I am new to this site, having registered just a few moments ago after stumbling across this thread while searching for information on this exact topic. I am also a WMU student, and despite the fact that I will be graduating at the end of this semester, I would be very interested in lending a hand if you do indeed start a WMU chapter of Concealed Carry on Campus.
    I have just recently started carrying regularly, and am reminded every time I go to class that everyone there would be helpless if a Virginia Tech sort of incident occurred. Even smaller-scale threats are more than reason enough for concern; last semester, while I was studying in the library, there were two armed robberies on campus, and over the past few years there have been numerous incidents of multiple attackers (7 or 8 in one instance, if I recall correctly) mugging and beating students who were walking back to their dorms. There was a bill (Michigan Senate Bill 747) proposed in 2009 intended to remove college dormitories and classrooms from the list of pistol-free zones, thus allowing CPL holders to carry on campus, but obviously it was ineffectual.
    Glad to see there are other WMU students concerned about being unprotected on the property on which we end up spending the majority of our time. You have my support, Kindyj.

I work in Kzoo, let me know how I can help. I carry there occasionally (both OC and CC) but not at work. My employer will fire me if I even have a gun in the car on their property. I hope we can get something like other states saying they need to respect my private property (my car). Indiana recently did this.
    "Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured...
    but no one must prove they are a citizen!” Ben Stein

Quote Originally Posted by blasmat View Post
    I am new to this site, having registered just a few moments ago after stumbling across this thread while searching for information on this exact topic. I am also a WMU student, and despite the fact that I will be graduating at the end of this semester, I would be very interested in lending a hand if you do indeed start a WMU chapter of Concealed Carry on Campus.
    I have just recently started carrying regularly, and am reminded every time I go to class that everyone there would be helpless if a Virginia Tech sort of incident occurred. Even smaller-scale threats are more than reason enough for concern; last semester, while I was studying in the library, there were two armed robberies on campus, and over the past few years there have been numerous incidents of multiple attackers (7 or 8 in one instance, if I recall correctly) mugging and beating students who were walking back to their dorms. There was a bill (Michigan Senate Bill 747) proposed in 2009 intended to remove college dormitories and classrooms from the list of pistol-free zones, thus allowing CPL holders to carry on campus, but obviously it was ineffectual.
    Glad to see there are other WMU students concerned about being unprotected on the property on which we end up spending the majority of our time. You have my support, Kindyj.
    I am from Kalamazoo but go to school at Ferris. I guess there is a MI attorny looking for ideas about suggested new pro gun laws. I plan on emailing him talking about campus carry, removing the liquor licence pfz and lowering the cpl age.

There was a bill (Michigan Senate Bill 747) proposed in 2009 intended to remove college dormitories and classrooms from the list of pistol-free zones, thus allowing CPL holders to carry on campus, but obviously it was ineffectual.
    Have you checked this out?

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(h0x...e=2011-HB-4009

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(h0x...e=2011-HB-4010

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_pe...d.cgi?MIHB4009

(and the Senate bills)

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(h0x...e=2011-SB-0057

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(h0x...e=2011-SB-0058

ETA: And WELCOME blasmat!
    Last edited by eastmeyers; 02-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    "Bam, I like saying bam when I cite something, in fact I think I shall do this from here on out, as long as I remember.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

"Then said he to them, But now he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his sack: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one."
    God Bless

just curious - under 21 how did you get a handgun? private sale or gift?
    welcome aboard. young people are a great example of OC and your demographic is more poised for trend directions. try a youtube video promoting it. do your homework and make it accurate and can do wonders for oc of it takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    just curious - under 21 how did you get a handgun? private sale or gift?
    welcome aboard. young people are a great example of OC and your demographic is more poised for trend directions. try a youtube video promoting it. do your homework and make it accurate and can do wonders for oc of it takes off.
    I know this wasn't exactly directed at me but I am under 21 and got mine for Christmas from my step dad who is an LEO and fully supports open carry and all other gun rights.

Thanks for the welcome and the links, I was not aware of these bills, but I signed and passed the petition along to several friends as soon as I read them!

Thanks for the welcome and the links, I was not aware of these bills, but I signed and passed the petition along to several friends as soon as I read them!
    Thank you.
    Bam!" - eastmeyers

God Bless