• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

_____ PRIVATE PROPERTY_____ open carry in Florida______

eldorado

After contacting Dept. of Ag., 2 law enforcement agencies, 3 attorneys, I am still without a definitive answer to my query regarding open carry on private land.

I am looking for the "specific statute" that will refer to this rule.

In reference to rural land/property, are there any restrictions based on 1) location, 2) proximity of buildings/residences. 3) size of land parcel, 4) county ordinance.

My particular scenario would relate to open carry of a side arm (pistol) while in the normal course of activity due to the remote location and any potential threat which may exist.

Also, it would be helpful to know if such regulation would relate to CCCP or not.

Rich7553

There are specific locations and circumstances in which open carry is lawful. You will find them listed here:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

If you want an answer to a specific circumstance, you'll need to provide more information, such as who owns the property, why you're there, etc. And please tell me what a CCCP is beyond being Russian for USSR. For the record, county or city ordinances are null and void per §790.33 Florida Statutes.

eldorado

I should have stated that the property is privately owned by myself.

CCP = Concealed Carry Permit

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I should have stated that the property is privately owned by myself.

You can only openly carry on property that is owned by you and is your home.
You can also open carry at your place of work.

You can't open carry on private property that you own that is not your home. You also can't or on another person's property, even with their consent, unless you work there or are hunting, camping, fishing or shooting in a safe place.

http://orlandocriminallawyer.blogspot.com/2011/01/open-carry-with-permission-legal.html

Rich7553

You can't open carry on private property that you own that is not your home. You also can't or on another person's property, even with their consent, unless you work there or are hunting, camping, fishing or shooting in a safe place.

http://orlandocriminallawyer.blogspot.com/2011/01/open-carry-with-permission-legal.html

Exactly. Thank you Sean. And in response to the OP question on the CCP, Florida issues CWFLs (concealed weapons/firearms licenses) and no, they only apply to concealed carry. No CWFL is required for any of the authorized open carry activities/locations.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

I rent, look at me, I'm breaking the law!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I think that is supposed to read:

I care about as much for your thoughts, as a stapler cares about meatloaf.

I was pointing out how ridiculous it is by making a ridiculous statement. Teh Intarwebz are full of people who can't sort that out. Which is sad, because it isn't that complicated, and it looks like you're one of those who can't sort it out.

Or your desire to be an ass is simply a higher priority. Either way, you're a failure as a human being.

Last edited:

JeepSeller

That would be incorrect.

Brboyer, help me out please if I'm mistaken....

790.25 - Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.

*snipped for space*

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

*snip*

(n) A person possessing arms at his or her home or place of business;

If you are renting a home, it's still your home. Ownership is not a requirement.

I believe the Gutmacher blog mentioned above refers to the mistaken belief that a property owner can give permission to open carry while on their property. They cannot. If you are renting that private property as your home, permission by the owner is not required.

brboyer

That would be incorrect.

Brboyer, help me out please if I'm mistaken....

If you are renting a home, it's still your home. Ownership is not a requirement.

I believe the Gutmacher blog mentioned above refers to the mistaken belief that a property owner can give permission to open carry while on their property. They cannot. If you are renting that private property as your home, permission by the owner is not required.

You missed my reply to him.....

Oh, we are talking about the law....

You are correct, ownership does not enter in to it at all. The only requirement is that you live there. For example a Hotel room is your 'home' while you are 'living' there.

Now the converse, 790.25(3)(n) does not permit you to openly carry on property you own but do not live at. Like rental property.

Last edited:

StogieC

Campaign Veteran

You can only openly carry on property that is owned by you (or rented, or leased, or you have a life estate in, or hold, or have tenure, or whatever other alalogue for own you want to bring up...) and is your home.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

That says AND, not OR. And the law says the same.

I believe the reference is to the occupation of property and the definition of ownership. If you signed a lease, you own the rights to that property for the duration of the lease.

But since this isn't clearly articulated in law, LEOs often arrest based upon it. If I can't whip out a deed with my name on it, I'm a bad boy.

I've been down this road personally. When the cops are out for you, they pretend to get things wrong like that. Since it is rather convoluted, they get qualified immunity, and you get stuck with defending yourself. You win, but it's still expensive.

JeepSeller

brboyer, I think we're saying the same thing, just hitting a speed bump on what we're deeming "renting".

I'm referring to the statement "I rent, look at me, I'm breaking the law!"

I interpreted that to mean renting as in renting an apartment and since my understanding is that as a tenant paying rent, it's considered YOUR home by law, meaning, I believe unlicensed carry within your home, even a rental, is still legal.

Yea, if it's property I own, but, rent it out to someone else? Yep, I can CC w/license, but, I cannot (currently) OC, even with my tenant's permission, and even though I own the property. It's not my home.

I really don't know where you guys are getting that "and".

The law clearly states.....

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
My only point is that in evictions, it's your 'home' if you get mail there. The Cops seem to know all about it and exactly how it's done.

If you're OCing a gun, well, suddenly they don't know that stuff anymore, even though the same definition of 'ownership' applies.

According to the cases I've studied, it's tied more closely to the definition of Ownership. If you have a lease, you "Own" that Occupancy Rights to that property for the determined time. And this is tied in only through the 4th Amendment; that you have the Rights necessary to be secure in your blah blah etc... Occupying the property, as the top sentence describes, is all it should take. It has been pursued by many a prosecutor. Fortunately, I've seen judges cut off that end-run around the law to kill both arguments.

brboyer

brboyer, I think we're saying the same thing, just hitting a speed bump on what we're deeming "renting".

I'm referring to the statement "I rent, look at me, I'm breaking the law!"

I interpreted that to mean renting as in renting an apartment and since my understanding is that as a tenant paying rent, it's considered YOUR home by law, meaning, I believe unlicensed carry within your home, even a rental, is still legal.

Yea, if it's property I own, but, rent it out to someone else? Yep, I can CC w/license, but, I cannot (currently) OC, even with my tenant's permission, and even though I own the property. It's not my home.

I really don't know where you guys are getting that "and".

The law clearly states.....

I think we are saying the exact same thing...

Exactly.

You cannot OC there because even though you own it, you do not 'and' live there. It must be yours (in some fashion-own, rent, etc., not someone Else's) AND you must live there...
The 'and' is somewhat superfluous because you could not really 'live' there if it was not yours. Except maybe if we talking about staying with friend's house...how long before that becomes 'living' there as opposed to just visiting?

BrokenR1

Bringing up an older thread, but at least it's from this year right?

So say I rent an apartment. It is my home. What about carrying around the rest of the property, i.e. the parking lot, pool, laundry facility, grassy area and walkways around the building/s? The areas are considered common shared space to the rental property with rights to usage by the tenants. How would those areas affect the idea of open carry on private property?

~*'Phoenix'*~

Bringing up an older thread, but at least it's from this year right?

So say I rent an apartment. It is my home. What about carrying around the rest of the property, i.e. the parking lot, pool, laundry facility, grassy area and walkways around the building/s? The areas are considered common shared space to the rental property with rights to usage by the tenants. How would those areas affect the idea of open carry on private property?

You can carry in your rental house/apartment; you can carry on the associated property only if you're the only one renting that house and lot; you cannot carry on common grounds or shared facilities (pool area, gym, laundry rooms, picnic area, yards, parking lots, elevators, hallways), unless it's CC with CWFL.

Mike

Site Co-Founder

Exactly, which is why we need to legalize open carry in Florida and Texas - both have this same rule.