• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Credit Card ID Requirement

sultan62

Tonight, I went to do some grocery shopping for my Mom. When I tried to use her credit card to make the purchase at Walmart, I was asked to show ID. I refused, stating that according to Visa, they could not require ID. I was told it was store policy to do so. I then spoke with a Customer Service Representative and then the Shift Manager after that, telling them both the same thing. I told the Shift Manager that I would be filing a complaint with Walmart Corporate and/or Visa, and then left my groceries sitting there.

I then went to the local IGA where I had the same problem. At that point, I needed to get the groceries and get home for dinner, so I just paid cash and left.

I know this has been discussed elsewhere, but I did a search and couldn't find a thread about it. I know that Visa (Mastercard too IIRC) does not allow a merchant to require ID when making a purchase. However, the links I have found to the merchant manual were broken. Furthermore, I couldn't find out how to contact Visa concerning this problem.

Tawnos

https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp
http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/merchantviolations.html

*edit* You should note the reason that they don't require ID is because you can get a CC with any name on it to protect your personal information. Visa and Mastercard both want their cards to be accepted "good as cash", and they go to great lengths to ensure that. I know for certain that after filling out the above link, I've seen "$5 minimum charge", "ID required for credit card", and other signs disappear.

Before someone suggests the "SEE ID" thing - that's invalid, and a merchant is supposed to have you sign the card in front of them. That is because the card acts as your half of the contract, a signature saying "I agree to the terms and conditions of this card." It has nothing to do with identifying you. So, unless you've changed your legal signature to SEE ID, you should probably go sign your cards ;).

Last edited:

Hef

I sign my cards "CHECK I.D." and thank them when they read the signature line and then ask for my I.D. I'd say about 30% of them ask me for I.D. When they don't check my I.D., I'll sign my name as "Bill Clinton", "Richard Gere", "Bugs Bunny", "Richard Nixon", etc.

eye95

The Visa "report merchant" page does not list requiring ID as a merchant violation.

Furthermore, searching the Visa site produces no page that discusses showing ID at all. Can someone provide links to the Visa site where they discuss the showing of ID?

Super Trucker

https://usa.visa.com/checkoutfees/contact.jsp
http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/contactus/merchantviolations.html

*edit* You should note the reason that they don't require ID is because you can get a CC with any name on it to protect your personal information. Visa and Mastercard both want their cards to be accepted "good as cash", and they go to great lengths to ensure that. I know for certain that after filling out the above link, I've seen "$5 minimum charge", "ID required for credit card", and other signs disappear.

Before someone suggests the "SEE ID" thing - that's invalid, and a merchant is supposed to have you sign the card in front of them. That is because the card acts as your half of the contract, a signature saying "I agree to the terms and conditions of this card." It has nothing to do with identifying you. So, unless you've changed your legal signature to SEE ID, you should probably go sign your cards ;).

Would this work for the numerous gun dealers that have the 3% credit card penility AKA "cash discount"?

What about gas stations that have seperate cash and credit prices on the price per gallon?

t33j

Would this work for the numerous gun dealers that have the 3% credit card penility AKA "cash discount"?

What about gas stations that have seperate cash and credit prices on the price per gallon?

I called Visa last year (i.e. last spring) thinking the same thing you did. The lady I spoke to said it was up to the store. :uhoh:

Last edited:

sultan62

Thanks for the help. I am still looking for the Visa rule, which is supposed to be in the Visa Merchant Handbook, which I can't find. I found a dead link for it, but couldn't find it through navigation, searching, etc.

mark-in-texas

Here's a page I found a while ago when the local wallyworld started asking for ID even when I used my card as a debit card! I reminded them that 'PIN' stands for personal identification number; apparently they've gotten the message because they don't ask anymore.
http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/Alert-FS15.htm

Remind them they are not the credit card police. Even if the card IS stolen, they'll still get paid. Transactions under $50 don't even require a signature.

sultan62

Well I submitted a complaint. We'll see what happens. I haven't done this before, so I don't know if I'll be contacted by Visa or not, but it'll be interesting to see what happens the next time I shop there with a credit card. :lol:

1245A Defender

the OP should be grateful the merchant wanted ID when HE, tried to use a WOMANS credit card!
considering the rampant fraud, the simple verification, that the plastic really belongs to you, seems like a good idea!
Ive always expected to verify with ID, and always thanked them for checking.
credit cards should never be "as good as cash"!
if someone steals my wallet, they should only get the 21$ thats where the money goes!
they shouldnt get the 60$ in the little pocket, and they shouldnt get the 200$ in the other little pocket!
and if they find my credit card they shouldnt have access to my 20000$ credit limit!

PT111

Usually when someone asks to see my ID for a credit card purchase I say "Thank You for trying to cut down on fraud". As for the cash discount it is according to how the discount is worded as there was a lawsuit about it many years ago and I don't remember the details. It was something about you could give a discount for cash but you could not charge extra for using a credit card. It meant the same thing but just worded differently.

As for the minimum charge many stores, primarily when using a debit card, have a flat fee rather than a percentage. The fee runs aroun 25-50 cents or so. If you buy something for $1 then they have to pay half of that to the credit card company so that it the reason for the minimum. You buy gas using a credit card and they have to pay 3% to the CC company so at $3 per gallon that means 9 cents a gallon going to the CC company which is more than their markup.

eye95

The Visa "report merchant" page does not list requiring ID as a merchant violation.

Furthermore, searching the Visa site produces no page that discusses showing ID at all. Can someone provide links to the Visa site where they discuss the showing of ID?

Anyone? Bueller?

sultan62

the OP should be grateful the merchant wanted ID when HE, tried to use a WOMANS credit card!
considering the rampant fraud, the simple verification, that the plastic really belongs to you, seems like a good idea!
Ive always expected to verify with ID, and always thanked them for checking.
credit cards should never be "as good as cash"!
if someone steals my wallet, they should only get the 21$ thats where the money goes!
they shouldnt get the 60$ in the little pocket, and they shouldnt get the 200$ in the other little pocket!
and if they find my credit card they shouldnt have access to my 20000$ credit limit!

I don't know about you, but I tend to make sure I know where all copies of any credit card I own are at any given time. IF my card is lost/stolen, I will report it as such as soon as I can and will dispute/refuse to pay any charges.

However, the fact remains that it is a credit card company rule that I expect to be enforced-not personal opinion.

I really didn't expect this to turn into a debate thread...

t33j

It's not the business of the consumer or merchant to be too worried about fraud really... The merchant still gets paid, and the consumer isn't liable.

Then you have the internet where basically nobody IDs.

My old card was in my possession and I still had fraudulent charges posted to my account.

jeeper1

I haven't had a credit card in six years.
Don't want one, don't need one and couldn't get one if I needed or wanted one. No income.

carracer

I put "Please ask for Photo ID" on my cards. I refuse to sign as anyone could practice my signature enough to come close. I don't care if it's "Half the contract" or not. Send the signature police after me! If they don't ask for picture ID then I figure I have the right to dispute the charge. I could be anyone.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
I sign my cards "CHECK I.D." and thank them when they read the signature line and then ask for my I.D. I'd say about 30% of them ask me for I.D. When they don't check my I.D., I'll sign my name as "Bill Clinton", "Richard Gere", "Bugs Bunny", "Richard Nixon", etc.

What they are supposed to do per merchant agreement is to refuse to take your card until you sign it - they are signature cards!