Thread: Spring set in magizines

Spring set in magizines

Hi Everyone,
    I'd like opinions on spring set (memory) for magizines. I still rotate mine about every 3 months, but I've been told by alot of folks you don't have to any more because the steel used nowadays is alot better and you can leave your magizines loaded for a year or longer. Some opinions are you can also load one or two less rounds in the mags. and they won't take a set. I use Kim-Pro Tac-Mags and Wilson Combat. Thanks

When People Lose Everything...They Have Nothing To Lose...And They Lose It ! " Semper Paratus " (Always Ready)

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I have never suffered a failure of a mag spring with any quality mag.

I daily carry either a S&W PC 1911 or a Les Baer TRS 1911, both with 8 rd mags topped off full.

My hands down favorite 1911 magazine is the Cobra II by Tripp Research. They also have rebuild kits and mag springs of superior quality.
    http://www.trippresearch.com/store/store_1911.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Activist Member
    A 1911 mag made in 1911 and loaded since 1911 should still work fine, assuming it didn't corrode from improper storage.

"Creep" in metal at room temperature is pretty much negligible.
    Last edited by Felid`Maximus; 01-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.

I think it is pretty much an non issue. I normally leave all of my mags fully loaded, sometimes for years between using them, and they all function flawlessly. Just my experience although I'm sure someone may come up with a failure story or two but I think it would be rare.

I have a mag for my Hi-Power that's been loaded since I carried it in SEA almost 40 years ago. Never have had a problem. Whether fully compressed or fully relaxed, the fatigue is identical from what I've read. At least on well made magazines like a Browning's.

From what I have read. Springs wear our from being cycled. Not from being fully loaded and left that way.
    EDC=XDm40 16+1+16+16

RED DRAGONS!!!!

Thanks to all....it is settled.....I will leave my magizines alone...it's alot less work and worry for me. I just wanted to eliminate a possible problem when the "chips were down". I've not had any issues so far and I've got an old beretta that dates back to 1944 and 2 original magizines......no problems. Thanks Again

Scientifically, a spring should never experience loss of tension or pressure unless operated outside the confines of the material and angle/diameter ratio.

But this means nothing if the designer of the magazine is a moron, or simply doesn't care if it fails.

'Piano wire' is the most common, but it's composition can vary wildly. However, it's also the easiest to finagle.

You can remove it from the magazine, stretch it, and bake it to 're temper' it. This is, in fact, how they are made in the first place. If it's messed up anyway, what have you got to lose?